Would Mayweather jr be able to handle big punchers like Hearns and Jackson?

You don't think he'd have the balls to try get inside and fight Hearns? I just think he'd realize after getting pieced up for a few rds that his only chance at getting away from the damage would be to try to work it inside and cause a closer range fight.

I think that would be his only/best chance. I don't know if he'd survive a distance fight with Tommy, maybe lose a wide Dec if he went full defense. It's interesting thinking about how he'd adjust but he'd have to do something different than try to box from the outside, imo.
I think Floyd has balls , but Trying to work his way inside seems like suicide to me ....Don’t think he’d have the power to get Hearns respect.....Like you said earlier I would be a up hill climb regardless of how Floyd fights ....

I think Floyd has balls , but Trying to work his way inside seems like suicide to me ....Don’t think he’d have the power to get Hearns respect.....Like you said earlier I would be a up hill climb regardless of how Floyd fights ....
Couldn't be a worse match up out there for a guy like Floy, no doubt. The balls thing wasn't meant as disrespect in your direction btw. Sorry if that came off wrong.

They didn't. They all got bigger. Guys who are 6+ft can no longer fight as WW because they put on too much muscle and are too big. Fighters' height didn't decrease (it's actually the opposite), their weight increased, which forces them to fight at higher weight classes than before.

Ironically, since HW doesn't have a weight limit, HW fighters are now both taller and heavier on average, which means people who would have been HWs back in the day are now fighting at lower weight classes. Ali, Frazier and Louis would all be CWs today and would still be smaller than Usyk.
Hw’s Are heavier now because old school hw’s Were in shape

Couldn't be a worse match up out there for a guy like Floy, no doubt. The balls thing wasn't meant as disrespect in your direction btw. Sorry if that came off wrong.
I didn’t come off as disrespect

So Roy Jones was not as talented as Floyd because he peaked sooner and declined more rapidly? I don't think longevity is the sole marker of talent. Is Pacquiao more talented than Mayweather because he's still boxing at the highest level when Mayweather has already retired?

Talent is irrelevant. Skills are what matters. And I would say Floyd is more skilled and had a more durable career.

it's interesting how two of the very best boxers in history are the least technical. Floyd arm punched most of his career due to shoulder roll style and didn't sit on his punches (threw them lightning fast though) and Ali punched from his toes. didn't sit down on his either. Roy Jones Jr had a little bit better sting at times but still not by the book.

Anybody ever reflected on how the sports greatest were some of the poorest representations of power?

Ricardo Lopez is the greatest in history. Perfection in technique and amateur/pro record.

I think he'd beat Jackson at 54. Very dangerous fight, obviously, but he matches up relatively well. Hearns would likely beat him, but it wouldn't have that much to do with Hearns' power.

The ratio may not have been the highest but he had scary finishes. His technique was pure perfection.

So why wasn't it better if it was perfection and he was the greatest of all time

I think he'd beat Jackson at 54. Very dangerous fight, obviously, but he matches up relatively well. Hearns would likely beat him, but it wouldn't have that much to do with Hearns' power.

How on earth does he beat jackson? Jackson is way too dangerous, and big.

By winning more rounds than him on 2 or more judges scorecards.

he is tiny compared to him and cant afford to slip up a single time, which we know he did historically to mosley, to castillo etc Smaller guys who dont pack in as much in their punches

he is tiny compared to him and cant afford to slip up a single time, which we know he did historically to mosley, to castillo etc Smaller guys who dont pack in as much in their punches

Mayweather didn't really "slip up" against Castillo. Castillo was just a really problematic matchup for him. He likely had the best feet of any pressure fighter of the last 20-30 years even if he was inconsistent and flawed in other ways.

Mayweather didn't really "slip up" against Castillo. Castillo was just a really problematic matchup for him. He likely had the best feet of any pressure fighter of the last 20-30 years even if he was inconsistent and flawed in other ways.

He got hit with some zingers for 12 rounds.

I think Hearns beats almost every welterweight ever

He'd be Mayweather's kryptonite.

Floyd would clinch soooo much, it'd probably suck to watch...Massive reach, long straight puncher like Hearns. Yeah that's a clinchfest

Jackson would get outclassed by the elites but he sure was fun. Basically a mini Deontay Wilder

Talent is irrelevant. Skills are what matters. And I would say Floyd is more skilled and had a more durable career.
Talent is skills. So you would pick Floyd over prime RJJ? lol

Back