Would it kill the UFC to give guys like Overeem a proper sendoff?

Lol remember the send off Rogan didn't give Goldberg on Mike's last broadcast?

I dunno if it's an official policy or what. Like maybe they are told not to hype anybody leaving the company as its likely they'll end up with a competitor. Or is it just disorganization or the fact that nobody gives a shit? Hard to say but for some reason I'm curious.

Leaning towards them just not giving a shit tbh
"It's only business."

He got one in his last fight

No better send-off than a brutal reality check

Some of you young bucks need to stop acting like the world owes you something.

Ironically, that's Boomer mentality. Most of today's younger generation know they're considered entirely disposable and are fucked on account of it.

JDS deserved something too, he had a great run in UFC

The will give him free access to all UFC gyms for 3 months.

I get what you are saying but as a fan you are kind of left with a void when suddenly your favourite star just leaves. Other sports recognize this connection to the fans and thats why we get a tribute or send off when stars leave. Even when stars get traded to other teams ther is usually an effort to pay homage to the player.
Would have been nice to have a retirement fight..i think more people would tune in personally but who knows.

Fighters have to decide when their retirement fights are. Reem doesn't appear to want to hang 'em up, despite getting knocked stiff in every other fight. This was a mercy killing.

Besides, what fighters ever get these send offs anyways? I can't remember any. Retirement is usually an abrupt "that's all folks" announcement after a fight, or it never comes. Can't remember anybody setting up an actual retirement fight with some ceremony to recognize their career accomplishments.

Had to find out about Overeem being cut through social media. Couldn’t they have told him before the Volkov fight so he could say something to the fans maybe?

Sure, the UFC is a business, but I can’t see how this would cost anyone anything. Even the shittiest places at which I worked would have something for people that left.

Most sports don't do send-offs on the player's last game, but call them back for some pre-game award (retiring the jersey etc). Not that the UFC is likely to ever do that either.

Sure, the UFC is a business, but I can’t see how this would cost anyone anything. Even the shittiest places at which I worked would have something for people that left.

Because the moment a fighter is cut or leaves they start to downtalk his accomplishments if there is even a minimal chance of him fighting for a competitor. They did this a lot of times. Someone leaves UFC and he is instant trash. Its a simple tool to devalue them. Its trashy and without any class but thats how UFC always handeld themselves. Dont give them an audience and if give them a negative press.

I'm glad they released Overeem i fear for the guys health hes been knocked out 14 times ffs, they dont need another gary goodridge.

Also the last time Joe Rogan interviewed him after getting knocked out it caused a shit storm.

They only deal in numbers, three qtr mil a fight is enough of a send off to them.

conor's send off will have live music with ufc drones flying overhead

Fighters are not human beings, they are products
<{hughesimpress}>

Cute, considerate sendoffs? This is the fight business. They're independent contractors btw.

They usually only do that when they main event for their last one and plan it. Think this end had to do a little with money and not just Overeem walking away.

Ironically, that's Boomer mentality. Most of today's younger generation know they're considered entirely disposable and are fucked on account of it.
True. And why whine about "feeling the world owe's you something" when it's just fans wondering why a legend of the sport wasn't given a send-off, platform, or some fanfare. What's that even have to do with "feeling you're owed something"?

Yeah, they're not going to give someone a send off to go elsewhere either, just not how it works.

Yeah leaving an org doesn't equal leaving the sport. Way raise their profile the highest it has been for a long time only for the next day to see socials of the fighter signing with xyz and considering a new start and feel they have lots left in the tank and can be champion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back