Would it kill the UFC to give guys like Overeem a proper sendoff?

omg this is BUSINESS bro, you just don't get it. you don't have a winner's mentality like Dana

And also not to forget he's probably been cheating for much of his career at HW.

Had to find out about Overeem being cut through social media. Couldn’t they have told him before the Volkov fight so he could say something to the fans maybe?

Sure, the UFC is a business, but I can’t see how this would cost anyone anything. Even the shittiest places at which I worked would have something for people that left.

Overeem is a steroid cheat why does he deserve anything?

The fear I guess is if they got out on a high and then sign with someone else, UFC preffers to try and kill the credibility of anyone on the way out.

This is just not realistic,boys.

Most fighters retire because the choice has been made for them.

Most retirements dont happen in the ring. Some people cant even say it. Overeem never said to the ufc if he lost he would retire. So thats it. Any retirement messages can happen on Overeem's own media.

Why give him a send off? He didn’t retire. His contract was up and they didn’t re-sign him. He will be in Bellator or fighting in Japan by the end of the year. Why should the UFC celebrate him and pump him up just for him to go fight elsewhere?

You celebrate a fighter when he retires, not when he leaves your company to go to another company.

Just be grateful he wasn’t called a coward and never a good fighter.

Once they know they wont sign you again or you wont re-sign, you are now competition

They give him one final main event in the spotlight which he lost, if he won it they might have kept him around longer but he wasn't getting the title shot for at least another year with the Jones, stipe and Francis triangle.

The way he went out was fine, he wasn't retiring so...

How many ppv buys did he generate?

Likewise, even if you liked him, that doesn't make him a star. What is his biggest signature win in UFC? Post-diverticulitis Lesnar? Post-Cain JDS? Walt Harris? C'mon man. You need at least something like Masvidal-Askren to make a star. Falling asleep from every breeze actually has the opposite effect.

C.mon man, I didn't make him a star, I didn't even like him when he came to the UFC. But he was POPULAR, was/is posted about and discussed constantly, has had a LONG, successful career, and was getting big, juicy paydays from the UFC. . .

I guess being popular amongst fans and internationally, and being the SECOND HIGHEST CAREER EARNER EVER in the UFC (after only Conman) are no indication that he's a star.

You can't argue with that evidence, and brought none yourself except dismissals. So you're wrong, I didn't make the rules, and have a nice day.

He was more of a hardcore fan's darling, than anything else. Not a nobody, but he wasn't a huge deal despite the fanboy love you see in here. He could generate some buzz for a fight due to his style and likelihood of seeing of a KO one way or the other, but he never rose above the pack. Just an entertaining banger.
No, we was indeed a star, particularly internationally (not that most Sherbros tend to care about that or are old enough to remember), has had a long, storied, and titled career, and as I've just mentioned above,
IS THE SECOND HIGHEST CAREER EARNER (in the UFC alone, baby), only falling (way) short of Conman. But I guess the UFC brass and their business investors paid him 10 million (that's been reported) because he wasn't a draw, you're right, and the international mma community as well as the UFC corporates are all wrong about him. Bitter Sherdoggers, however, are the true barometer of a star, of course.

They usually don't interview fighters after a loss anyway, it was actually a measure they put in place after Overeem's loss to Stipe ironically
That is not true. They interview the loser after a title fight.

puzzling thread (not surprisingly). they are supposed to tell overeem before the fight that if he loses badly he's getting cut?

these are big boys and they understand the business they are in. overeem certainly didn't sound angry in his response.

You mean a proper send off like a guaranteed $800k payday for the last few fights and keeping him active? What else do you want them to do. The Reem is a legend, but I’d say he’s been treated more than fairly.

Some of you young bucks need to stop acting like the world owes you something.
I get what you are saying but as a fan you are kind of left with a void when suddenly your favourite star just leaves. Other sports recognize this connection to the fans and thats why we get a tribute or send off when stars leave. Even when stars get traded to other teams ther is usually an effort to pay homage to the player.
Would have been nice to have a retirement fight..i think more people would tune in personally but who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back