Would it kill the UFC to give guys like Overeem a proper sendoff?

True. And why whine about "feeling the world owe's you something" when it's just fans wondering why a legend of the sport wasn't given a send-off, platform, or some fanfare. What's that even have to do with "feeling you're owed something"?
Because they don’t know in advance what the results will be? Or what the future plans are?

They couldn't even be bothered to say anything about Goldie leaving even his so-called friend hyperbole joe just behaved like nothing was going on.

Remember it's an opportunity and dana and the ufc owe these fighters nothing.

wonder if they'll donate to spencer's go fund me . . . <23><26>

He was absolutely a legend and a star.

His head turned into a shooting star when it got decapitated from his shoulders by Francis. And yes, him getting ko’d into oblivion was legendary. He never did anything legendary himself in the UFC though.

Why give him a send off? He didn’t retire. His contract was up and they didn’t re-sign him. He will be in Bellator or fighting in Japan by the end of the year. Why should the UFC celebrate him and pump him up just for him to go fight elsewhere?

You celebrate a fighter when he retires, not when he leaves your company to go to another company.
I am not so sure. If we go by what he has been saying,he was definitley OK with retiring after his UFC tenure was up (2 fights)

To go to bellator, I guess he could,but tbh 94 fights is more than enough. He should relax and be with his Uber Family.

His head turned into a shooting star when it got decapitated from his shoulders by Francis. And yes, him getting ko’d into oblivion was legendary. He never did anything legendary himself in the UFC though.
I dunno if I could call The Reem Legendary,but he sure was a fan favorite..partly because of his roid physique,but later on because of his longevity and willingness to improve. Many would have quit.

they might induct him into the HOF in a couple of years and give him his due that way

It might be a good idea for UFC to give send-offs for certain fighters. It would certainly gain them a lot of good will and might even make the card a must watch for fans of the fighter.

The only problem is how does the UFC know the fighter is retiring for sure, plus fighters unretire all the time.

Because they don’t know in advance what the results will be? Or what the future plans are?
You can still give a fighter a send-off whenever you want. The UFC apparently decided to give him his walking papers instead. Great point(less) though.

This isn't the same company as it was when it was owned by Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta. Those kind of things were important to the former owners. The new ownership has massive debt loads, they're going to be a lot more cut throat about dealing with aging legends. You should have seen these types of things coming when among their first things in house keeping they did upon taking over was eliminate useless legends on payroll like Hughes and Liddell who were being paid for basically nothing just because they were beloved. The only fighters who get catered too are the ones at the top making money. Overeem isn't that anymore, and he was one of the costlier to show contracts in the division. It sucks sure, but buckle up cause there will be plenty more of it.

At Sherdog - absolutely. In UFC - not so much.
UFC is world wide organization.
Overeem is huge in Europe and Japan. More then Masvidal whos 15 minutes of fame are already past him.
That's why UFC was paying Reem so much money.
And when you start with ppv revenue, understand ppv is American thing. Revenue is generated differently from sports in other parts of the world.

Had to find out about Overeem being cut through social media. Couldn’t they have told him before the Volkov fight so he could say something to the fans maybe?

Sure, the UFC is a business, but I can’t see how this would cost anyone anything. Even the shittiest places at which I worked would have something for people that left.
Hall of Fame induction will be his proper send off imo .... a battered Overeem saying a few words doesn’t cut it imo

How many ppv buys did he generate?

Likewise, even if you liked him, that doesn't make him a star. What is his biggest signature win in UFC? Post-diverticulitis Lesnar? Post-Cain JDS? Walt Harris? C'mon man. You need at least something like Masvidal-Askren to make a star. Falling asleep from every breeze actually has the opposite effect.
You’re a poor judge of talent ....

Does Overeem even want that?
As long as he is getting paid his money I'm sure he doesn't give a fuck.

Its likely he is getting in the HOF in the future, isn't like he retired or something now

I am not so sure. If we go by what he has been saying,he was definitley OK with retiring after his UFC tenure was up (2 fights)

To go to bellator, I guess he could,but tbh 94 fights is more than enough. He should relax and be with his Uber Family.
All I’m saying is that before or directly after the Volkov fight, Overeem said it was his last fight, the UFC would have done something special. Like a some sort of tribute or video package, hall of fame induction thing.

Reactions: HHJ
Hopefully he gets a run in Rizin or whatever for old times sake. Honestly hes still a top 10 level HW and probably good enough to win the belt anywhere outside of the UFC even now.

The sad thing is Overeem has talked openly about retiring soon in the next couple of fights. Dude had like 2 more fights left on his contract too.

They should have let him finish out his contact.

Back