Worst roommate stories

we had a large communal bathroom/showers in my dorms freshmen year. My roommate was this weirdo from Nebraska, and he became notorious for SITTING indian style inside the communal showers......

seriously, who does that

lol I actually do enjoy sitting down in the shower and just chilling out thinking about my life. No way in hell I would do that in any shower but my own. I went to a hotel once that had a large standing shower, with a nice tiled bench in the back. Then the shower had a class window facing the bedroom and the TV. It was my dream shower.

Unfortunately the one in my house is way to small for something like that.

Almost a decade ago now I was a intern/seasonal employee at a cool place. We did historic preservation work, which mostly just meant grounds keeping, which was fine with me as I loved the work. As interns we were given free housing in the converted attic of a very old building (it was nicer than it sounds). I arrived very early in the season, followed a few weeks later by my new co-worker and roommate. We got along super well, had a blast by ourselves in this old house in the middle of no where.

Towards the middle of the season he seemed to start having a mental breakdown. I didn’t really look down on him for it, I’ve been there, just tried to help him through it the best I could. He eventually started drinking A LOT. We’re talking like a 12 pack or worse every night.

On fateful night we were watching dvds of The Wire, because we only had a DVD player for electronic entertainment. He got super drunk while I cooked up some dinner. (I should note that I was hanging out with him less and less because I thought he wanted some alone time to deal with whatever he had going on mentally, which of course led to me finding other friends and sleeping around with some lady folk). So I walk into what most people would consider a living room with some food in my hand, and he’s standing in front of a lazy boy type recliner with a steak knife (that I had given him a few seconds before so I could grab the plates) in his hand just staring at me. He was wasted and doing that drunk guy sway back and forth. I said something to the effect of, “What you doing with that knife?” He did not respond for what felt like a minute or so. His first and only verbal response was just a grunt type sound. He walked towards me slowly with the knife still in hand and just brushed my shoulder with his shoulder as he walked out of the room (he maintained eye contact the whole time). I seriously thought he was going to try and kill me. He went into his bedroom, I put the plates down, got in my car, and drove to a hotel.

The next day I came back. He asked where I went, and I asked him if he remembered the night before. He said he didn’t. I told my supervisor about it on the low key, and he set me up at another seasonal residence. I haven’t talked to the kid much, but it looks like he’s doing well now.

I did outweigh the dude by a hundred pounds or so, but I really don’t know if I would have had the heart to hurt him. I always wonder if he would have tried to kill me if I did not exhibit a very subdued and submissive demeanor.

My last roommates weren't that bad but they did have their own worst moments.

One time I remember waking up at like 2am and they had left the door wide open. It was winter time so the house was freezing. I came downstairs to shut the door pretty pissed off because anybody could have walked in and straight jacked us. I had just gotten the new PS3, too.

Another time my guy comes home drunk (this was a recurring theme) and pissed off and kicks a Halloween pumpkin and starts yelling at his girl until she starts crying. Then he tries to go drive his Bronco even though he's drunk and his license is suspended. I literally had to restrain this guy and he was a big dude.

His girl lived with us after a while. Me and her got along well enough. Maybe too well. I remember when her guy got busted for driving in his car and went to jail for a few days, she said to me, "If he ends up going to jail for 40 to 60 days, how am I supposed to have sex?" Why would she say that to me being a physically fit, heterosexual male?

I was looking for roommates a couples years ago when I lost my license for a DUI and needed a way to get to work. Out of the blue someone I hadn't talked to in probably 10 years hits me up on fb saying he and his girl were looking for a place and were currently out of work but collecting SS so could drive me to work and back every day in exchange for cheap rent.

Not working, and the fact that he was so desperate and out of options he had to come someone he hadn't spoken to in years should've been big enough red flags, but I was in a sticky situation so I agreed.

After about 4 months of general shadiness, late rent every month, getting their car repo'd from my driveway in the middle of the night (I bought a second beater car so they could still drive me to work since they couldn't drive my car due to it being a stick shift - a beater car which I paid for with cash and put in my roomate's GF's name to avoid the extra insurance that would've come with registering a car in my name with a DUI on my record) ridiculous requests and controlling behavior (I was once asked to put my shirt on in my own house because this guy didn't want me shirtless around his woman (both of them were obese and I keep myself in pretty good shape) I got laid off from my job.

No longer needing them to drive me to work I asked them to leave. They couldn't afford deposits and 1st and last months rent, and I wanted them out so badly I offered to lend them the money, we're talking a few grand. They agreed to pay some of it back by taking care of jobs around the house for me, and we worked out a repayment plan for the rest.

On the day they were supposed to be moving out, they packed a uhaul and said they were running out to the store to get ice for the last few things of theirs in the freezer. They ended up stealing the car I bought, along with all the cash I'd lent them and never returned. I actually talked to a lawyer to find out what options I had, and the whole thing just seemed like more trouble than it would be worth to me. Never heard from them again.
Dude that is awful, I learn a long time ago to not be a bank. I don't let ANYONE borrow money. But you live and you learn.

Never been poor enough to need a roommate.

I was looking for roommates a couples years ago when I lost my license for a DUI and needed a way to get to work. Out of the blue someone I hadn't talked to in probably 10 years hits me up on fb saying he and his girl were looking for a place and were currently out of work but collecting SS so could drive me to work and back every day in exchange for cheap rent.

Not working, and the fact that he was so desperate and out of options he had to come someone he hadn't spoken to in years should've been big enough red flags, but I was in a sticky situation so I agreed.

After about 4 months of general shadiness, late rent every month, getting their car repo'd from my driveway in the middle of the night (I bought a second beater car so they could still drive me to work since they couldn't drive my car due to it being a stick shift - a beater car which I paid for with cash and put in my roomate's GF's name to avoid the extra insurance that would've come with registering a car in my name with a DUI on my record) ridiculous requests and controlling behavior (I was once asked to put my shirt on in my own house because this guy didn't want me shirtless around his woman (both of them were obese and I keep myself in pretty good shape) I got laid off from my job.

No longer needing them to drive me to work I asked them to leave. They couldn't afford deposits and 1st and last months rent, and I wanted them out so badly I offered to lend them the money, we're talking a few grand. They agreed to pay some of it back by taking care of jobs around the house for me, and we worked out a repayment plan for the rest.

On the day they were supposed to be moving out, they packed a uhaul and said they were running out to the store to get ice for the last few things of theirs in the freezer. They ended up stealing the car I bought, along with all the cash I'd lent them and never returned. I actually talked to a lawyer to find out what options I had, and the whole thing just seemed like more trouble than it would be worth to me. Never heard from them again.
People like this, we can do without. lol

Why didn't you just kick him out?
For starters it wasn't my house, nor my call. I actually offered my friend to let me kick him out, even if it required force. The guy was bigger than me, red hair, he looked like an Irish lad, I'm sure it wouldn't have gone well. I'm glad I didn't, knowing the guy's background after he got kicked out.

LMAO was waiting for this response, come on dude I've known you for years, remember when we used to smoke pot outside the 7/11?
I don't do death grass. I've lost too many friends to fatal pot overdoses.

i have so many stories.
my first roommate was ari, he was my best friend, and had a real asshole side to him. dropped outta high school cuz he was dumb and lazy. he would have me do his GED equivalency homework. i'd do a whole class in an hour for a few slices of pizza. he had no job, no school, just watched bad tv shows like full house ll day. his dad paid his rent for him.

i was working and goin to college full time too
turned out his dad was a bum too and about half the time he was late with rent or didnt pay at all. i was covering the kid so we didnt have to move. ari was 18 and about 5'5" 130 pounds. he used to scam on high school girls all the time, often as young as 14. he would never do dishes, just let em pile up and stink up the sink, even though he had 24 hours a day of free time to do em. i finally told him he had to do em, i came home from work, no dishes.

i found em in the trash. my pots, pans, plates.... so i washed em and ate his biirthday cake as reward, he was pissed. this kid was always on the damn phone too. thats annoying as hell. he had a giant suburban, and got parking tickets all the time. he asked to borrow my car to drive like 100 miles to get a bunch of free clothing. i said ok for a pair of trunks. he brought me the trunks but used a whole tank o gas that he didnt replace. i wont mention his religion. i got him a job and he worked like 2 days a week for a month til he quit.

he had a shaved bald head, yet my shampoo was disappearing very quickly. he never bought toothpaste, sop, or any toiletries, just mooched off me. he was complaining about how his cock and balls looked like they were shedding skin. years later he was talking about that with a guy, who told him its from beating off with shampoo. mine.

his 2 best friends were 2 of the biggest assholes ive ever known. 1 was a 40 year old pathological liar bisexual who constantly tried to convince young boys to go homo with him.

well, his dad failing to pay rent 1 too many times got us evicted. took him about 5 years to pay me back. eventually i realized hes too much of an asshole and i cut ties. 1 of his ex gfs told me many years later that he had the smallest dick shes ever seen.

Last edited:
In my last year as a student both my roommates dropped out and got jobs.

One of them worked in a bar and met a lot of "characters".

I'd been away for the Christmas break and come back to find the house empty, head up to my room on the top floor and there's a giant black guy passed out in my bed.

I tiptoe downstairs so as not to wake him and am considering calling the cops, decide to check in with my friend who works in the bar first.

"Hey, some big black guys passed out in my bed, you know anything about this?"
"Oh that's just Alain, he's been living here while you've been gone."
".... When were you planning on mentioning this to me?"

Turned out he was an illegal immigrant drug mule from the Congo and that wasn't even his real name.

He ended up living on the sofa for a couple of weeks and then vanished one day leaving just a photo of Jesus, his rap CD and his real name.

I think he's in South Africa now.

My last roommates weren't that bad but they did have their own worst moments.

One time I remember waking up at like 2am and they had left the door wide open. It was winter time so the house was freezing. I came downstairs to shut the door pretty pissed off because anybody could have walked in and straight jacked us. I had just gotten the new PS3, too.

Another time my guy comes home drunk (this was a recurring theme) and pissed off and kicks a Halloween pumpkin and starts yelling at his girl until she starts crying. Then he tries to go drive his Bronco even though he's drunk and his license is suspended. I literally had to restrain this guy and he was a big dude.

His girl lived with us after a while. Me and her got along well enough. Maybe too well. I remember when her guy got busted for driving in his car and went to jail for a few days, she said to me, "If he ends up going to jail for 40 to 60 days, how am I supposed to have sex?" Why would she say that to me being a physically fit, heterosexual male?
That's what I call an invitation.

had a few tennants at a place i owned. does that count as roommates?

bf and gf lived together and they were ok, but had 5 dipshit friends that would never leave and were very loud. but they broke up and moved out, so, yay.

1, guido, grew and sold weed. i didnt/dont smoke. i was against it, but he was my friend and was gonna pay me much more. well he bragged about his weed to too many people, one night while drunk atthe bar his "friend" stole all his weed. i figured out who did it. this :eek::eek::eek: named scott. guido said scott had 1 year to live. guido never killed him but ended up in and out of prison for drug stuff. he even snitched on another friend who did time due to the snitching.

guido grew more weed and i caught the guy ripping him off for the second time. i chased him down the street and yelled "drop it and i'll let u go" 3 steps later he dropped the dufflebag full of nuggets. i saved the day, guido gave me a car, that he had bought for $500. i drove it about 6 months b4 it crapped out. he did let me bone his gf at one point. he was a pretty cool guy but always got rich, then fucked up. he is still in prison, i think its a 10 year sentence and he is halfway thru. i sawhim b4 he got busted for the last time, he had a wife, kid, and what he said was a legal business. he lied and went down hard.

the even worse tennant i had br 4 guido was a twat we called face/off. nice body but face like E.T. she had a dog and never cleaned up his shit. i stepped in it, and threw it on her porch. she was so upset she had her 5'5" bf talk to me about it. he was always hangin around. she'd always bitch about some shit and finally we said, if u arent happy here, move. so herlast month she didnt pay rent cuz she knew we'd keep her deposit. she called the city who had me remove this shack i made/fixed surfboards in. to this day i would still love to see her and her kook bf laying dead in the street.

So you don't think she said was a rhetorical question but that she wanted me to take her down?

Absolutely.

But hooking up with girls whose boyfriends are in jail probably isn't the smartest thing in the world so your aloofness saved you there.

i turned 30 and lost the house i wanted to live in til i died. but found a place by the beach -4 bedrooms for $1,500- which is a steal in socal.
i had no other choices, so me and my friend dan moved in. we got his friend and his baby/babymomma to move in too. i was livin there for $300. babymommas mim used to hang out often. she was 43. good body, but smoked cigs. she threw herself at me and i went for it. few weeks later, babymommas sister stayed for a few weeks. she threw herself at me too, and i went for it. good face, tits, ass, but bad cigarette breath.

well my friend dan quit his job and moved out. so there i was left living with people i didnt even know. 2 brothers moved in and they got drunk 7 nights a week. they had 9-5 jobs at least so i got some peace, just not much sleep. they had tons of friends who decided my house was now the party house. many smoked cigs too.
babymomma and co decided they didnt wanna lose their kid over this so they moved. Ben moved in instead, he was ok.
it became even more of a partyhouse, we had high school kids hangin out instead of goin to school, even when nobody else was home.

the brothers took a trip to see their sister. they brought her back and she told me she needed to stay with us for a few months. i was almost at my wits end. told some kids to gtfo, they refused, so i had the cops get em out. roommates were pissed. their sister started havin her wannabe gangsta bf hang out all the time too. he got his ass kicked at a party, so he was afraid to go to a party anywhere but my house. he used to hang out dressed like tupac, complete with the knot-forward-bandana. what a bunch of dipshits. i'd had enough and moved out. managed to get the whole deposit back. they stayed and the landlord increased their rent.

never saw em again.

Absolutely.

But hooking up with girls whose boyfriends are in jail probably isn't the smartest thing in the world so your aloofness saved you there.

Yeah, I guess I was pretty aloof when she asked me that. LOL

I do kind of kick myself for not taking her down sometimes. She was a tall pretty brunette with some nice sweater meat.

then i moved into maxs place. he'd been livin with his gf, but they broke up. max had a job and made plenty, so i felt secure.

he'd work all day and i'd be alone, i liked it. shortly after i moved in, his landlord asked for the $1,500 max owed him. i paid it cuz i didnt wanna move. turned out he'd been spending all the $ he made at the mall he worked in. on stupid shit like gettin his hair done with leopard spots. it was ok for a few months, then max started hangin around the house all day. he'd been fired.

i told him many times to go look for a job instead of watchin tv all day, or we'd have to move. landlord came askin for rent again. i told him it was maxs time to pay. he never paid. i moved out while he was at his moms, i took a bunch of his stuff as collateral for the $ he owed me. left him a note saying pay me and u get it back. he never contacted me.

saw him surfing once after i moved out, he had a board i'd made him. i took it. last i ever saw him.

I was the bad roommate in college. I would drink everyone's beer, coffee, and eat their food <Moves>

Back