Worst Oscar winners/ Biggest snubs

LEo got snubbed this year, withouta dubt for his performace in Django.

Nobody is going to like me for this, but Shakespeare in Love deserved to win instead of Saving Private Ryan.

Yeah, we all have really fond memories of the intensity of the beach scene, and some emotional deaths, and the final battle, but there's an awful lot of wasteful filler in SPR. It's a great movie and I prefer to watch it over SiL, but it's bloated. Plus, some of the acting was pedestrian at best.

SiL was a tighter movie, and the cast of SiL shits all over the cast of SPR. Not to mention the fact that a ton of people who claim SPR should have won haven't even seen SiL.

Exit Through the Gift Shop not winning best documentary was atrocious...great movie but Oprah would have had to hand Banksy an Oscar, which would have been amazing

Maybe cause "Brainwash" doesn't actually come off like a real person. The whole thing seemed fake by the end of it. Especially the whole hiring a team of graphic designers while he's rolled around in a wheelbarrow...come on there is no way that dude was a real artist.

Anyway, my two biggest snubs are as follows:

1. Ben Kingsley didn't even get nominated for Sexy Beast, meanwhile Russell Crowe inexplicably won for Gladiator. I loved Gladiator, but Crowe wasn't even the best actor in his own movie.

2. Gary Oldman didn't even get nominated for Immortal Beloved, and he straight-up wrecked that shit. Meanwhile, Travolta gets nominated for Pulp Fiction.

Travesties all around.

Nobody is going to like me for this, but Shakespeare in Love deserved to win instead of Saving Private Ryan.

Yeah, we all have really fond memories of the intensity of the beach scene, and some emotional deaths, and the final battle, but there's an awful lot of wasteful filler in SPR. It's a great movie and I prefer to watch it over SiL, but it's bloated. Plus, some of the acting was pedestrian at best.

SiL was a tighter movie, and the cast of SiL shits all over the cast of SPR. Not to mention the fact that a ton of people who claim SPR should have won haven't even seen SiL.

Whhaaat!friggin' the weinsteins bought those oscars.SPR was nerve-wracking.Shoot people who fought in ww2 probably got flashbacks during the beach invasion.It was the realism and acting that got people's attention.SiL,whos gonna remember that movie other than it screwed over SPR.

Shakespeare in Love winning over either The Thin Red Line or Saving Private Ryan

I would rank it 5th out of the nominees that year

What scene(s) exactly would be considered wasteful filler in that movie?

I think what you said is completely ridiculous but at least think it fair to give you a chance to defend the statement.

Totally agree, 90% of the people that bitch about SiL winning never actually saw it. It's a seriously great film, even if you don't know Shakespeare well enough to get all the references.

I did absolutely love SPR though, can't really agree with your criticisms of it.

It's meant to be an award for best actor, not biggest star.

In no way shape or form is Wayne a good actor.
I wish this was true, but in many ways we're off the mark. Oscars tend to go to whomever means the most at that particular time. "Means the most" comprises many things, including but not limited to acting ability. It's ineffable.

In the case of John Wayne, it's not his acting ability but his body of work that is being recognized. What he meant to the world is prodigious.

I wish this was true, but in many ways we're off the mark. Oscars tend to go to whomever means the most at that particular time. "Means the most" comprises many things, including but not limited to acting ability. It's ineffable.

In the case of John Wayne, it's not his acting ability but his body of work that is being recognized. What he meant to the world is prodigious.

Hence this thread.........

But I agree.

The likes of Wayne deserve honourary awards or lifetime achievement awards, I'd say. Peter O'Toole actually refused an honourary award.

It wasn't Brodie. It was Denzel for training day.

Edit: my bad, it was Brodie.

Disregard.

I remember those Oscars clearly

Denzel Washington got best picture for Training Day

Halle Berry won Best Actress for Monster's Ball.

And Sydney Poitier received the lifetime achievement award.

Only Sydney deserved the nod. I almost threw up listening to Halle Berry cry like she fucking deserved that award. Everyone in the room and at home watching knew it was a sympathy award.

Brokeback Mountain should have. It split the vote with Munich and the safe RACISM IS BAD movie won.

Americans love showing the world how not racist they are by recognizing racism. The whole country makes Race such a big deal, so the pick makes sense.

People forget that everyone involved in Crash were higher ups in the Church of Scientology.

I'm far from a CT'er but this has CT written all over it. Just sayin

Val Kilmer for Doc Holiday.

I'll start with:

Best Actor in a Leading Role
WINNER
True Grit: John Wayne

John Wayne- truly a hollywood legend, but the archtypical plays the same role in every film........and True Grit wasn't particularly good (Jeff Bridges later version was far better). What's more he beat literally 4 of the best actors of his generation to win. Peter O'Toole has been nominated about 32 times without a single win!

30980476.jpg

How dare you post an iconic American hero John Wayne in an disrespectful manner.

I remember those Oscars clearly

Denzel Washington got best picture for Training Day

Halle Berry won Best Actress for Monster's Ball.

And Sydney Poitier received the lifetime achievement award.

Only Sydney deserved the nod. I almost threw up listening to Halle Berry cry like she fucking deserved that award. Everyone in the room and at home watching knew it was a sympathy award.

Damn skippy.I tell people they screwed up when they gave it to HB.Angela bassett was nominated and should of won.Oh well,look at HB's career now.Doin a movie about sharks and sh**

2010 Kathryn Bigelow for best director and Hurt Locker for Best Picture

Snubbed: Lee Daniels/Precious, Quentin Tarantino/Inglourious Basterds, Jason Reitman/Up in the Air, Neil Blomkamp/District 9 all were better IMO

I also felt that Crazy Heart and Invictus were better films

I just never bought into the premise of Hurt Locker, felt it was unrealistic and didn't represent EODs realistically at all. I also felt that Return was a much better example of the mental issues that affect soldiers.

I did not agree in the slightest that this film is just as good as Platoon, the Killing Fields or Full Metal Jacket or that this was the best action film in decades.

Didn't read every single page but in 1997 Titanic beat out Good Will Hunting, L.A. Confidential, The Full Monty and As Good As It Gets. Titanic featured great actors, painstaking attention to detail and bleeding edge SFX. The other films featured a story that wasn't written by a sixth-grader.

Let's not forget that Avatar was nominated for Best Picture at the same time.

Back