Worst Oscar winners/ Biggest snubs

Hated seeing Morgan Freeman get a Shawshank Oscar for Million Dollar Baby when it should have been a toss up between Haden Church and Clive Owen.

The real snub was Paul Giamatti not being nominated for Sideways. He was the tour de force of that movie.

Guys I've posted this before. Look up Art Carney for Harry and Tonto, and look who he was up against.

The worst winner in Oscar history I think. Easily.

Carney beat Albert Finney, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino, for their performances in Murder on the Orient Express, Lenny, Chinatown and The Godfather Part II respectively, for the 1974 Academy Award for Best Actor. The film was nominated for Best Writing, Original Screenplay.

Jesus, although I haven't seen it, maybe he was that good.

Melanie Laurent not getting nominated for her role in Inglourious Basterds.

That must have been one hell of a performance nobody ever talks about.

Godfather II and Chinatown. Career performances for Al and Jack.

Yeah I haven't seen it either.

It's also hard to look back that far. Some movies don't age well even if they were received well at the time.

Yeah, Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan? That's hands down the biggest WTF. All the others I can live with.

It wasn't Brodie. It was Denzel for training day.

Edit: my bad, it was Brodie.

Disregard.

FXOuZ.gif

Melanie Laurent not getting nominated for her role in Inglourious Basterds.
She didn't fulfill enough of the criteria. Sure she was in a period piece and it was sort of holocaust film, but she wasn't uglified, naked, or made to look like an insano. A gal's gotta qualify for at least three.

Cliff Robertson winning for Charly might have been the most undeserved Best Actor oscar ever, and worse, it ushered in the idea that anyone playing a character with mental disabilities should automatically receive praise like it's the hardest possible role to play.

yeah

Sean Penn won for Milk.

Slumdog won best picture

Fuck Penn and Slumdog is what I say!

How about a general rule: Any movie that wins an Oscar that deals with gay/aids, the jewish holocaust, or british royalty probably did not really deserve it.

She didn't fulfill enough of the criteria. Sure she was in a period piece and it was sort of holocaust film, but she wasn't uglified, naked, or made to look like an insano. A gal's gotta qualify for at least three.

Haha true

Fuck Penn and Slumdog is what I say!

How about a general rule: Any movie that wins an Oscar that deals with gay/aids, the jewish holocaust, or british royalty probably did not really deserve it.

Shindler's List was acceptable imo.

But looking back Hanks beat out DDL and Neeson for his role in Philadelphia

Crash was one of the stupidest movies I have ever seen. The writing was terrible, the characters were way over-the-top, and it had the insight of a 3rd grader. Its message: "Racism is bad." Way to illuminate me, morons...

Slumdog was pretty crappy too, and for many of the same reasons. It was way too forced and predictable. Honestly, I think that it won simply because it was a foreign film. If it had been an American film about India, it would have been middle-of-the-pack.

Saving Private Ryan was an awesome film. It raised the bar for all war movies everywhere in virtually every respect. If you didn't finish that movie asking yourself how far you'd go to aid someone besides yourself, or to what extent your duties define you, then you probably missed the point.

These sorts of awards seem to minimalize when something is done masterfully, simulatenously over-valuing something new on the merit that it is something that hasn't been done before. The King's Speech was great because of what it did with the characters, but a generically artsy movie about that particular topic was destined to do well because it was something that hadn't really been popularly explored yet.

Saving Private Ryan should have beaten Shakespear in Love.

100x this. Although Harrison Ford never getting a nomination as either Han solo or Indiana Jones (two of the greatest all time characters in cinema) and Empire Strikes Back (arguably the greatest sci fi movie ever made) not getting a nom for Best picture in 81 are some major all time snubs imo.

Back