@Titanium
Reaction score
I'll start with:

Best Actor in a Leading Role
WINNER
True Grit: John Wayne

NOMINEES
Anne of the Thousand Days: Richard Burton
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Midnight Cowboy: Dustin Hoffman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goodbye, Mr. Chips: Peter O'Toole
Midnight Cowboy: Jon Voight

John Wayne- truly a hollywood legend, but the archtypical plays the same role in every film........and True Grit wasn't particularly good (Jeff Bridges later version was far better). What's more he beat literally 4 of the best actors of his generation to win. Peter O'Toole has been nominated about 32 times without a single win!

Rocky beat Network and Taxi Driver.

Although Network did get best original screenplay, which was the most remarkable aspect of it.

Ordinary People wasn't great, Raging Bull should have got that!

I just mentioned in the other thread, Fassbender should have at least been nominated for Shame.

Last edited:
True Grit was awesome. Original was better than the remake.

Rocky deserved it. People in hindsight can't accept Sly beating out De Niro and Scorsese.

Taxi Driver was an awesome movie but every underdog movie made since 76 is called the Rocky of that genre and compared to it.

Mickey Rourke got completely fucked.

I feel bad for O'Toole, but John Wayne was one of the biggest things in cinema. That being said, where the fuck is Bruce Lee's Oscar, huh?

Also Adrian Brody beating out Bill the Butcher as best actor.

Nic Cage was great in Adaptation as well but DDL should have won that year.

I liked Crash and Slumdog.

I would have taken Munich over Crash, and looking back I think Cinderella Man should have been nominated.

Crash looked like it was written by a ten year old that had to do a 100 word essay on racism. It was super predictable and cheesy.

Slumdog Millionaire started very well but the story quickly turned totally stupid. I don't think a movie that starts as something serious and realistic should turn into some Disney fairytale after half an hour. The coincidences are just beyond ridiculous and forced.

Also Adrian Brody beating out Bill the Butcher as best actor.

Nic Cage was great in Adaptation as well but DDL should have won that year.

It wasn't Brodie. It was Denzel for training day.

Edit: my bad, it was Brodie.

Disregard.

Crash looked like it was written by a ten year old that had to do a 100 word essay on racism. It was super predictable and cheesy.

Slumdog Millionaire started very well but the story quickly turned totally stupid. I don't think a movie that starts as something serious and realistic should turn into some Disney fairytale after half an hour. The coincidences are just beyond ridiculous and forced.

I still liked them.

Shakespeare in Love winning is ridiculous though

Rocky deserved it. People in hindsight can't accept Sly beating out De Niro and Scorsese.

Taxi Driver was an awesome movie but every underdog movie made since 76 is called the Rocky of that genre and compared to it.

Mickey Rourke got completely fucked.

For what, the wrestler? Who won if not him? did the wrestler win?

I was so unimpressed with No Country for Old Men. I really enjoyed the novel, and the movie just missed.

Hated seeing Morgan Freeman get a Shawshank Oscar for Million Dollar Baby when it should have been a toss up between Haden Church and Clive Owen.

Guys I've posted this before. Look up Art Carney for Harry and Tonto, and look who he was up against.

The worst winner in Oscar history I think. Easily.

For what, the wrestler? Who won if not him? did the wrestler win?

I was so unimpressed with No Country for Old Men. I really enjoyed the novel, and the movie just missed.

yeah

Sean Penn won for Milk.

Slumdog won best picture

Back