Worst MMA-related conversation you've had with a casual or non-fan?

"So, you can like, 'judo chop' people, right?"

Watching replay of Rampage vs Silva at a bar and this guy saying the drunks at the bar would kick both their asses.

Well there was the time I argued with a complete stranger at a party about how MMA is less brutal than boxing.

I could only assume from the stunned silence that fell over the room that my point was irrefutable.

At high school, a friend of mine thought that Mick Foley could become UFC champion, due to having a high pain threshold...

When speaking of kid's martial arts, I heard: "90% of playground fights go to the ground."
I'm still speechless

I was watching Tim Sylvia vs Jeff Monson. Terrible, boring fight. Made much worse by the guy at the bar yelling "Triangle, Triangle" over and over.

Tim Sylvia was on the bottom. I very much doubted he was going to catch ADCC champion Jeff Monson in a triangle choke.
Lmao or when some random guy is talking about how they would “shift their weight” and explode to get out from the bottom.

My brother always yells "Fuck him in the ass!" during mma

I have a friend of Russian background who follows MMA somewhat avidly and consistently says his favorite fighter of all time is "Fedotenko." He has found many ways to get the name of his favorite fighter wrong. And he predicts fight outcomes with about 25% accuracy.

I dated a girl from Russia about a year or two ago and we were talking about MMA and she said "do you know Fyodor emelianenshko" but with the most perfect Russian pronunciation that I said, no who's that? haha

Not really a conversation I had, but one I overheard. Was at my kids soccer game and a group of a few 30ish soccer moms/dads seated above me in the bleachers were talking about Ronda. This was when she was at her peak, before the HH fight. They were talking about how she was so badass an tough and that the ufc actually was going to start fighting her with men.

In high school, I got some jeers for mentioning that I liked MMA. When I asked about what they didn't like, they went off on how the use of weapons is inhumane, and said it should be banned.

Had arguments about how kicking and grappling were "pussy tactics", and the sport would never grow because Boxing is the only respectable form of fighting.

Those happened a while ago, but even now, I get into it with people who claim fights are fixed, even when the loser gets legitimately knocked out and melted into a heap. Makes me wonder what they think a real KO reaction looks like.

I enjoy talking about MMA with my parents or my wife’s grandparents, or as they call it “wrestling”.

My wife’s grandfather always asks me if Hulk Hogan is still doing it.
That's adorable, my grandparents do the same.

When talking about me to strangers, they talk about how I watch 'the wrestling', and I get confused when people then ask me who my favourite wrestler is.

The best is ever some kung fu guy that "seen the videos" and was'nt impressed... because if in "a real fight" you (MMA guy) do this, he will do that *mimic some shit* and it's all over

When they mimic these clashes they're ever 100% successful, like 178-0-0 in imaginary fights

I've gotten the "isn't that like pro wrestling" question before...

<31>

My mom called it Ultimate Boxing.
I have given zero fucks about MMA for years, trained for a good few years after I had stopped watching the pros.

so we're talking around 08/09...…….''still doing that street fighting stuff big guy?''...…..old man asked me if I knew that the ''iron cage fighting'' was on tv, and i met a few guys i know at a fight show, a Thai/MMA event, they had no clue about MMA, ''Don't you need to pin them down for a count?'' <45>

You can find worse discussions than most of the ones posted ITT on the first page of the Heavies.

I have given zero fucks about MMA for years, trained for a good few years after I had stopped watching the pros.

so we're talking around 08/09...…….''still doing that street fighting stuff big guy?''...…..old man asked me if I knew that the ''iron cage fighting'' was on tv, and i met a few guys i know at a fight show, a Thai/MMA event, they had no clue about MMA, ''Don't you need to pin them down for a count?'' <45>

You said yes, right?

You should just be happy casual and 'non-fans' even had anything positive to say about mma.

I've got two stories, one good and one bad.

1) The bad: I was a freshman in college in 2007. I took a retarded class taught by a retarded woman in her 40s or 50s. At some point in the class, I guess I'd mentioned that my dad was a contractor. Anyway, I was wearing a PRIDE shirt one day, one of those old white ones with the PRIDE logo with the lightning and everything. It's before class and the teacher decides to make conversation with the students. She comes by me and she asks, "Is that your dad's company?" Confused, I asked, "Is what my dad's company?" She nods at me and says, "Your shirt. Is 'PRIDE' the name of your dad's company?" Dumbfounded, I told her, "No, this is an MMA shirt." She looked at me like I hadn't yet started speaking in response to her question, so I continued, "Mixed martial arts is the sport with the guys that fight in rings and cages. PRIDE was the main Japanese MMA organization before the UFC bought it." She then goes, "So it's like boxing or WWE?" Ready to be done with the conversation, I just went, "Yeah, exactly," and watched her walk away pleased with the way she'd been able to rebound by displaying her extensive knowledge of combat sports :rolleyes:

2) The good: That same year, I took a speech class and the final presentation was a "demonstration speech." I decided to demonstrate BJJ. I got a guy in the class who was going to demonstrate rock climbing by climbing up the door, one of those crazy outdoorsman types, to be my guinea pig. I told him the different shit that I'd talk about and demonstrate and I told him that I'd end by demonstrating a triangle choke and he was totally game. For the whole presentation, everyone in the class was snickering and giggling because it looked so gay and silly, which is the response that I knew that I'd get. The triangle demo was my ace in the hole, though. For my grand finale, I demonstrated the triangle. Fortunately for me, in a manner that was so perfect as if to have been scripted, I happened to lock it up just as the outdoorsman was inhaling, and the sound of his breathing getting cut off and his throat getting squeezed resulted in an audible choking sound that freaked everybody out. All of the girls in the class put their hands to their mouths in worry, all the guys were looking on curiously and with concern, and the fat old black lady teacher who had no clue what MMA or BJJ was and who probably couldn't have even named a single martial art got up and yelled, "Stop!" When I let go, the outdoorsman was fine and said, "That was crazy." Then I proceeded to explain how triangles work to a now-captive audience :D

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Wait, WTF?!? Sherdoggers go to school and practice martial arts?!?!

What have I been doing with my life...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back