Worst MMA-related conversation you've had with a casual or non-fan?

I've got two stories, one good and one bad.

1) The bad: I was a freshman in college in 2007. I took a retarded class taught by a retarded woman in her 40s or 50s. At some point in the class, I guess I'd mentioned that my dad was a contractor. Anyway, I was wearing a PRIDE shirt one day, one of those old white ones with the PRIDE logo with the lightning and everything. It's before class and the teacher decides to make conversation with the students. She comes by me and she asks, "Is that your dad's company?" Confused, I asked, "Is what my dad's company?" She nods at me and says, "Your shirt. Is 'PRIDE' the name of your dad's company?" Dumbfounded, I told her, "No, this is an MMA shirt." She looked at me like I hadn't yet started speaking in response to her question, so I continued, "Mixed martial arts is the sport with the guys that fight in rings and cages. PRIDE was the main Japanese MMA organization before the UFC bought it." She then goes, "So it's like boxing or WWE?" Ready to be done with the conversation, I just went, "Yeah, exactly," and watched her walk away pleased with the way she'd been able to rebound by displaying her extensive knowledge of combat sports :rolleyes:

Oh come on. Why would a 40/50 year old professor know that stuff? Especially in 2007; your average dudebro wouldn't know what the hell they was.

honestly most of the idiotic convos i have had were with self admitted fans of the sport.
Once with a guy who had some training at Ron Watermans gym he swore he could superman punch somebody at the right angle to hit the bridge of their nose into the brain and cause instant death. Plus he was always trying to fight random people on the street or grapple people in our group of friends.

Also can't go into any detail on this one but a former teammate of mine fought a pretty well known japanese Shooto champion and when everybody was talking about it in the gym they were all laughing talking about how badly this japanese guy was going to get beaten up etc.. and i was the only one who had actually seen the guy fight before i kept my mouth closed but my team mate got TKOd

What are yours?

Mine were:

- When I was in high school, an acquaintance of mine started talking to me about "UFC". I forgot what brought it on. He kept telling me how Rampage Jackson and Chuck Liddell were going to fight "this Saturday". It was late 2013.....

- At Golden Corral, a friend of mine talked to me how much of a bad motherfucker Bigfoot Silva was and that he almost beat Cain Velasquez once.

- Another friend of mine thought King Mo was champion in PRIDE. I was impressed that he knew about King Mo and PRIDE though.

- I've met quite a bit of people who thought Nate Diaz was once a UFC champion.

- My little cousin asked me who would win between Lesnar and McGregor. Pretty normal question from a kid though.

- A friend of mine always tells me Nobohiko Takada broke Royce Gracie's leg.

- A guy at my university is convinced GSP will easily beat Anderson Silva.

- Brock Lesnar fan who only watch the UFC because Brak.

- A dude at a local Judo club insists that Kevin Randelman is gay.

- Tito Ortiz is the goat.

• Any talk about how a boxer or other tough guy could have a lot of success in a MMA fight with no training. I had an actual debate with a military guy about how a navy seal would fair in an MMA fight with no training.

This guy moved in 2 houses down from me.

There is this douchebag at work who told me Conor would knock Floyd Mayweather out despite being 0-0-0 in boxing.

Here's that dude.

20118378_yves-edwards-calls-brendan-schaub-a_24b097ab_m.jpg

Any that starts with " oh wait, isn't that cage fighting?" I tend to walk away from.

honestly most of the idiotic convos i have had were with self admitted fans of the sport.
Once with a guy who had some training at Ron Watermans gym he swore he could superman punch somebody at the right angle to hit the bridge of their nose into the brain and cause instant death. Plus he was always trying to fight random people on the street or grapple people in our group of friends.

Also can't go into any detail on this one but a former teammate of mine fought a pretty well known japanese Shooto champion and when everybody was talking about it in the gym they were all laughing talking about how badly this japanese guy was going to get beaten up etc.. and i was the only one who had actually seen the guy fight before i kept my mouth closed but my team mate got TKOd

Honestly I've heard a lot of retarded shit from new fans who know I'm into boxing not knowing I've been into MMA for quite a long time. They would just reveal their ignorance about both MMA and boxing. These are from fairweather fans who are suddenly experts of the sport because they saw a few Mcgregor and Rousey highlights. I would hear shit like Ronda Rousey would beat mayweather in a real fight.

[QUOTE="A guy i worked with was adamant cro cop’s last name was actually cro cop. He thought it was a coincidence that he was also a Croatian cop.[/QUOTE]

Lol what a goof

So I googled it just to c what a goof that guy was and it checks out this filipovic aka Cro Cop is for real

I used to work with some guys that were sure that kimbo was gonna show em how to fight even after he lost

Honestly I've heard a lot of retarded shit from new fans who know I'm into boxing not knowing I've been into MMA for quite a long time. They would just reveal their ignorance about both MMA and boxing. These are from fairweather fans who are suddenly experts of the sport because they saw a few Mcgregor and Rousey highlights. I would hear shit like Ronda Rousey would beat mayweather in a real fight.
That happens too.
There was a meathead type guy at this boxing gym I used to frequent he claimed that if any mush Thai guy tried to kick him he would weave under the kick and then hit the guy in the back of the head as they were turning around with the force of the kick.

I heard a group behind me at a Taco Bell talking about MMA back in 2006ish. It was such a funny quote I remember it exactly. Said in a very confident tone:

"The ONLY difference between Matt Hughes and Chuck Liddell is Chuck keeps his defense much tighter!"

I don't know if I have heard a more blatantly wrong analysis in my life.

I also still get introduced as a "UFC fighter" all the time for having fought in amateur MMA like a decade ago.

"Can you dress like Luke Rockhold and fuck my wife while I watch."

It was even worse during coitus. He couldn't stop talking about BJ Penn's comeback.

I've got two stories, one good and one bad.

1) The bad: I was a freshman in college in 2007. I took a retarded class taught by a retarded woman in her 40s or 50s. At some point in the class, I guess I'd mentioned that my dad was a contractor. Anyway, I was wearing a PRIDE shirt one day, one of those old white ones with the PRIDE logo with the lightning and everything. It's before class and the teacher decides to make conversation with the students. She comes by me and she asks, "Is that your dad's company?" Confused, I asked, "Is what my dad's company?" She nods at me and says, "Your shirt. Is 'PRIDE' the name of your dad's company?" Dumbfounded, I told her, "No, this is an MMA shirt." She looked at me like I hadn't yet started speaking in response to her question, so I continued, "Mixed martial arts is the sport with the guys that fight in rings and cages. PRIDE was the main Japanese MMA organization before the UFC bought it." She then goes, "So it's like boxing or WWE?" Ready to be done with the conversation, I just went, "Yeah, exactly," and watched her walk away pleased with the way she'd been able to rebound by displaying her extensive knowledge of combat sports :rolleyes:

2) The good: That same year, I took a speech class and the final presentation was a "demonstration speech." I decided to demonstrate BJJ. I got a guy in the class who was going to demonstrate rock climbing by climbing up the door, one of those crazy outdoorsman types, to be my guinea pig. I told him the different shit that I'd talk about and demonstrate and I told him that I'd end by demonstrating a triangle choke and he was totally game. For the whole presentation, everyone in the class was snickering and giggling because it looked so gay and silly, which is the response that I knew that I'd get. The triangle demo was my ace in the hole, though. For my grand finale, I demonstrated the triangle. Fortunately for me, in a manner that was so perfect as if to have been scripted, I happened to lock it up just as the outdoorsman was inhaling, and the sound of his breathing getting cut off and his throat getting squeezed resulted in an audible choking sound that freaked everybody out. All of the girls in the class put their hands to their mouths in worry, all the guys were looking on curiously and with concern, and the fat old black lady teacher who had no clue what MMA or BJJ was and who probably couldn't have even named a single martial art got up and yelled, "Stop!" When I let go, the outdoorsman was fine and said, "That was crazy." Then I proceeded to explain how triangles work to a now-captive audience :D

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

"People thought bjj was gay so I showed them a triangle to convince them it wasn't."

I dunno probably some shit about Connie being the GOAT or something retarded like that.

- A friend of mine always tells me Nobohiko Takada broke Royce Gracie's leg.

That is a very specific, incorrect thing to believe. I’m actually very curious how or why your friend ever came to think such a thing.

"Bruce Lee would beat them all"

Regularly in the HW forum with so called Conor fans that thinks he is the GOAT...
<{cruzshake}>

Back in university I did paper on Dana White, it was a leadership class and we had to do one essay and a short presentation about our chosen business leader. Nothing memorable really happened during the presentation except when I asked if anyone had heard of MMA before, a guy from my group project yelled out "UFC!" lol

I am pretty sure its spelled Nick Cage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back