Worst MMA-related conversation you've had with a casual or non-fan?

TheBrownRanger

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What are yours?

Mine were:

- When I was in high school, an acquaintance of mine started talking to me about "UFC". I forgot what brought it on. He kept telling me how Rampage Jackson and Chuck Liddell were going to fight "this Saturday". It was late 2013.....

- At Golden Corral, a friend of mine talked to me how much of a bad motherfucker Bigfoot Silva was and that he almost beat Cain Velasquez once.

- Another friend of mine thought King Mo was champion in PRIDE. I was impressed that he knew about King Mo and PRIDE though.

- I've met quite a bit of people who thought Nate Diaz was once a UFC champion.

- My little cousin asked me who would win between Lesnar and McGregor. Pretty normal question from a kid though.

My dad to this day believes MMA is fake

My Dad's the same. He thinks the whole thing is gay as fuck

I remember I went on this 5 minute spiel to my Dad about how badass Fedor was and how he was the GOAT and he was from Russia and how he got got dumped on his spine and instantly recovered and won the fight seconds later ... it was pure poetry. Even a UFC shill with Dana White sat on his face would be thinking Fedor was the GOAT after that shit.

So my Dad listens to all this, after I've poured my heart and soul into describing Fedor to him, and he just shoots me a glance as if I just said "There's this Fedor dude and he can legit fit like 4 dicks in his mouth at once". He didn't say a word. I just walked off wishing Fedor was my Dad.

Last edited:
During Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon, one guy asked me if that was the guy that slammed Fedor.

Though anything related to McGregor has to be the worst.

lmao @ talking about that pseudo sport. I avoid it at all costs since it's primarily poor people who are interested in it.

I’ll never forget watching UFC 76 at a really shitty bar in Edmonton, and some guy sitting at a nearby table says “I don’t know who this Shogun Roo-ah guy is, but I’m pretty sure Matt Hughes would knock him out in the first round”.

:rolleyes:

I talk to a few friends who follow it closely like I do but never to strangers. You have to remember MMA is like Pro-Wrestling, people don't watch and think it is stupid, so when they are trying to talk to you about they are probably just trying to mock you.

I have a friend of Russian background who follows MMA somewhat avidly and consistently says his favorite fighter of all time is "Fedotenko." He has found many ways to get the name of his favorite fighter wrong. And he predicts fight outcomes with about 25% accuracy.

A guy i worked with was adamant cro cop’s last name was actually cro cop. He thought it was a coincidence that he was also a Croatian cop.

2003 or so some twat boxing fan said "there is no science in the ufc" - as in nobody had any actual technique
i told him to go to the nearest bjj school and take 1 free lesson

Whenever I talked to my mom about UFC, she would inevitably think I was talking about WWE, and then ask what the difference was.

People saying lesnar would get smoked by mcnugget

2003 or so some twat boxing fan said "there is no science in the ufc" - as in nobody had any actual technique
i told him to go to the nearest bjj school and take 1 free lesson

I thought this as a boxing fan when I first saw Tito Ortiz "oh all he does is put them on the ground and punch the shit out of them, that doesn't look hard" ha ha

Most of the ones I talked to think the UFC and MMA are interchangeable.

I mean they literally don’t know the difference between MMA and UFC.

All of them. MMA is still a very niche sport. Few can get past the big names. This Army medic vet I went on a date with was a fan of Tim Kennedy. Thats all she was though. Didnt know anything about his MMA career, just liked him b/c he was in the Army. I asked her what she thought about the Romero fight and she legit said, "who?"

I enjoy talking about MMA with my parents or my wife’s grandparents, or as they call it “wrestling”.

My wife’s grandfather always asks me if Hulk Hogan is still doing it.

I was watching Tim Sylvia vs Jeff Monson. Terrible, boring fight. Made much worse by the guy at the bar yelling "Triangle, Triangle" over and over.

Tim Sylvia was on the bottom. I very much doubted he was going to catch ADCC champion Jeff Monson in a triangle choke.

Back