Worst MMA-related conversation you've had with a casual or non-fan?

Most of the bad conversations I’ve had just stem from people believing the hype that UFC media vomits out. Although here are two quotes that I recall...

“Oh shit, he’s gonna get the omelette-plata”
“I heard Louie CK is gonna fight soon” (in reference to CM Punk)

I've got two stories, one good and one bad.

1) The bad: I was a freshman in college in 2007. I took a retarded class taught by a retarded woman in her 40s or 50s. At some point in the class, I guess I'd mentioned that my dad was a contractor. Anyway, I was wearing a PRIDE shirt one day, one of those old white ones with the PRIDE logo with the lightning and everything. It's before class and the teacher decides to make conversation with the students. She comes by me and she asks, "Is that your dad's company?" Confused, I asked, "Is what my dad's company?" She nods at me and says, "Your shirt. Is 'PRIDE' the name of your dad's company?" Dumbfounded, I told her, "No, this is an MMA shirt." She looked at me like I hadn't yet started speaking in response to her question, so I continued, "Mixed martial arts is the sport with the guys that fight in rings and cages. PRIDE was the main Japanese MMA organization before the UFC bought it." She then goes, "So it's like boxing or WWE?" Ready to be done with the conversation, I just went, "Yeah, exactly," and watched her walk away pleased with the way she'd been able to rebound by displaying her extensive knowledge of combat sports :rolleyes:

2) The good: That same year, I took a speech class and the final presentation was a "demonstration speech." I decided to demonstrate BJJ. I got a guy in the class who was going to demonstrate rock climbing by climbing up the door, one of those crazy outdoorsman types, to be my guinea pig. I told him the different shit that I'd talk about and demonstrate and I told him that I'd end by demonstrating a triangle choke and he was totally game. For the whole presentation, everyone in the class was snickering and giggling because it looked so gay and silly, which is the response that I knew that I'd get. The triangle demo was my ace in the hole, though. For my grand finale, I demonstrated the triangle. Fortunately for me, in a manner that was so perfect as if to have been scripted, I happened to lock it up just as the outdoorsman was inhaling, and the sound of his breathing getting cut off and his throat getting squeezed resulted in an audible choking sound that freaked everybody out. All of the girls in the class put their hands to their mouths in worry, all the guys were looking on curiously and with concern, and the fat old black lady teacher who had no clue what MMA or BJJ was and who probably couldn't have even named a single martial art got up and yelled, "Stop!" When I let go, the outdoorsman was fine and said, "That was crazy." Then I proceeded to explain how triangles work to a now-captive audience :D

<mma3>
Can a mod get yellow carded???

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

It's not too bad now but the extremely dumb shit was common for me when the sport became mainstream 2005-2006. Usually it boiled down to two ares

• Any technique talk about why a fighter can't just start punching another guy when he's on the ground or can't get out of a certain position.
  • Any talk about how a boxer or other tough guy could have a lot of success in a MMA fight with no training. I had an actual debate with a military guy about how a navy seal would fair in an MMA fight with no training.

I've got two stories, one good and one bad.

1) The bad: I was a freshman in college in 2007. I took a retarded class taught by a retarded woman in her 40s or 50s. At some point in the class, I guess I'd mentioned that my dad was a contractor. Anyway, I was wearing a PRIDE shirt one day, one of those old white ones with the PRIDE logo with the lightning and everything. It's before class and the teacher decides to make conversation with the students. She comes by me and she asks, "Is that your dad's company?" Confused, I asked, "Is what my dad's company?" She nods at me and says, "Your shirt. Is 'PRIDE' the name of your dad's company?" Dumbfounded, I told her, "No, this is an MMA shirt." She looked at me like I hadn't yet started speaking in response to her question, so I continued, "Mixed martial arts is the sport with the guys that fight in rings and cages. PRIDE was the main Japanese MMA organization before the UFC bought it." She then goes, "So it's like boxing or WWE?" Ready to be done with the conversation, I just went, "Yeah, exactly," and watched her walk away pleased with the way she'd been able to rebound by displaying her extensive knowledge of combat sports :rolleyes:

2) The good: That same year, I took a speech class and the final presentation was a "demonstration speech." I decided to demonstrate BJJ. I got a guy in the class who was going to demonstrate rock climbing by climbing up the door, one of those crazy outdoorsman types, to be my guinea pig. I told him the different shit that I'd talk about and demonstrate and I told him that I'd end by demonstrating a triangle choke and he was totally game. For the whole presentation, everyone in the class was snickering and giggling because it looked so gay and silly, which is the response that I knew that I'd get. The triangle demo was my ace in the hole, though. For my grand finale, I demonstrated the triangle. Fortunately for me, in a manner that was so perfect as if to have been scripted, I happened to lock it up just as the outdoorsman was inhaling, and the sound of his breathing getting cut off and his throat getting squeezed resulted in an audible choking sound that freaked everybody out. All of the girls in the class put their hands to their mouths in worry, all the guys were looking on curiously and with concern, and the fat old black lady teacher who had no clue what MMA or BJJ was and who probably couldn't have even named a single martial art got up and yelled, "Stop!" When I let go, the outdoorsman was fine and said, "That was crazy." Then I proceeded to explain how triangles work to a now-captive audience :D

tenor.gif

giphy.gif
Back in university I did paper on Dana White, it was a leadership class and we had to do one essay and a short presentation about our chosen business leader. Nothing memorable really happened during the presentation except when I asked if anyone had heard of MMA before, a guy from my group project yelled out "UFC!" lol

My sister in law, who has an opinion about everything, said once: I don't like boxing but at least there's a technique in it unlike MMA that's just violence.

Any technique talk about why a fighter can't just start punching another guy when he's on the ground or can't get out of a certain position.

I'll never forget ordering UFC 52 with a bunch of friends and watching as two of them tried to reverse engineer an armbar after confusedly watching Travis Wiuff tap to Babalu :D

Back in university I did paper on Dana White, it was a leadership class and we had to do one essay and a short presentation about our chosen business leader. Nothing memorable really happened during the presentation except when I asked if anyone had heard of MMA before, a guy from my group project yelled out "UFC!" lol

<{JustBleed}>

I was at the bar when Fedor beat Sylvia. I think I was pretty fired up, and two gay guys came over to semi-tease me for being a "nut-hugger," but then just tried to pick me up.

Was watching a Sakuraba fight in college when this skinny manlet sat down and watched for a minute then said, "These guys can't fight. I bet I can beat them." This is from a guy who looked like he never played a sport for a minute of his life.
I know a lot of MMA fans who don't seem to know much about their own sport.

What are yours?

Mine were:

- When I was in high school, an acquaintance of mine started talking to me about "UFC". I forgot what brought it on. He kept telling me how Rampage Jackson and Chuck Liddell were going to fight "this Saturday". It was late 2013.....

- At Golden Corral, a friend of mine talked to me how much of a bad motherfucker Bigfoot Silva was and that he almost beat Cain Velasquez once.

- Another friend of mine thought King Mo was champion in PRIDE. I was impressed that he knew about King Mo and PRIDE though.

- I've met quite a bit of people who thought Nate Diaz was once a UFC champion.

- My little cousin asked me who would win between Lesnar and McGregor. Pretty normal question from a kid though.

Figures , only an 8 yr old casual would give Lesnar a snowballs chance in hell.

I wore a PRIDE shirt to a hangout with my non-MMA watching cholo/ese friends when I was around first year of college.
The "lol dis foo is gay pride reppin", "ey homie, what kinda pride you reppin..? lol" jokes went on all night. I tried to show them a fight, and they just said it was gay.
Those are the majority of the dumb conversations i have with people--it's usually "this shit is gay", and "why didn't he just knock that fool out?"

Because real fights don't play out like that between people that actually know how to fight...
<1>

One time I was talking about Brock Lesnar at work and someone who was bad at eavesdropping and half deaf asked who "Broccoli Man" was
There it is

{<redford}

Was watching a Sakuraba fight in college when this skinny manlet sat down and watched for a minute then said, "These guys can't fight. I bet I can beat them." This is from a guy who looked like he never played a sport for a minute of his life.
I know a lot of MMA fans who don't seem to know much about their own sport.
I was part of a house band at a friend's bar where me and my buddies would watch K1, UFC and Pride at the bar's only TV. This was back in '03 and customers would voice their complain and called it gay. When we look back at one of the tables, this drunk guy had the gall to call us all out. There were 3 of them against 6 of us and the other 5 smoking outside. Taking the high road was one of the hardest thing to do let me tell you.

:meow:

Some TMA dude says the reason his sifu doesn't compete in MMA is because he may kill his competition.

Back