Working in Tech startups

TLDR - what's the end goal of working in different startups? Trying to be a well-paid executive in one of them? If you had done it, do you end up retiring in a more established company, or start your own hustle?

Been job hopping for the last few years. One in this large San Francisco based startup that became a unicorn, lasted only a few months because of the shift they gave me. They had massive layoff, mid-2022 and now they've been hiring again. Another one in a Hong Kong based startup with had good product, but they essentially made me an accountant which is not in my skillset so I bounced. This current one I have been in for six months, has a really good trajectory in the Fintech space (think early Nubank) but I don't like it necessarily, but I learn and earn well.

I think the general consensus of working in startups is: the benefits would be high compensation packages, because the main way to get competent people from more established companies is by paying them well. The main con is that the workload can be toxic, and I'm lucky in this regard because I haven't experienced this yet six months in.

Now, I am sending my resumes out again, for other tech companies, maybe not in startup phase anymore, for a more long-term career movie. Not trying to rush anything, the earliest I want to have a new job is early 2024, latest in mid-2024.

I have stock options that could be worth a lot in the future, but is this really something employees stay for? Has anyone here made a good play with stock options?

I have never liked working after the pandemic because WFH sucks, so I shifted to hybrid work in this Fintech company. But my work sensibilities have dulled because of working out of my room for so long, I don't even know if I could go back to regular on-site work. But at least with hybrid work, there is some interaction which I miss, and if I get to a new company, hopefully there would be more of this.

Just recently started with one and between interviewing and starting got promoted twice.

Small and fast paced tech company. Basically in charge of R&D and trying to integrate cutting edge tech to get our product ahead.

Small company share and very good salary. Has some potential.

TLDR - what's the end goal of working in different startups? Trying to be a well-paid executive in one of them? If you had done it, do you end up retiring in a more established company, or start your own hustle?

Been job hopping for the last few years. One in this large San Francisco based startup that became a unicorn, lasted only a few months because of the shift they gave me. They had massive layoff, mid-2022 and now they've been hiring again. Another one in a Hong Kong based startup with had good product, but they essentially made me an accountant which is not in my skillset so I bounced. This current one I have been in for six months, has a really good trajectory in the Fintech space (think early Nubank) but I don't like it necessarily, but I learn and earn well.

I think the general consensus of working in startups is: the benefits would be high compensation packages, because the main way to get competent people from more established companies is by paying them well. The main con is that the workload can be toxic, and I'm lucky in this regard because I haven't experienced this yet six months in.

Now, I am sending my resumes out again, for other tech companies, maybe not in startup phase anymore, for a more long-term career movie. Not trying to rush anything, the earliest I want to have a new job is early 2024, latest in mid-2024.

I have stock options that could be worth a lot in the future, but is this really something employees stay for? Has anyone here made a good play with stock options?

I have never liked working after the pandemic because WFH sucks, so I shifted to hybrid work in this Fintech company. But my work sensibilities have dulled because of working out of my room for so long, I don't even know if I could go back to regular on-site work. But at least with hybrid work, there is some interaction which I miss, and if I get to a new company, hopefully there would be more of this.

I just found out they laid off another person I was part of a larger team with through Linkedin. And based on all the comment and reactions he got, he was a very well liked and super competent person on that company. His role isn't really expendable so wtf? They probably fired him just to replace him with someone who would work for way less.

Sent out an email to the higher ups asking if I can be converted to a part time contractor two weeks ago, no answer yet.

There's this lady who has an admin role who for whatever reason is unbelievably badgered because she works the job of three people. She routinely cries whenever she feels stressed. She found out that she wasn't entitled to a salary increase despite not nearly having the same compensation as the tech people. She has one new person to share her workload, after one other lady gave up on that job only after three months. I advised her to just straight up quit bec it pains me to see her so stressed but she says she wouldn't consider it unless she has another offer waiting. I told her to reach out to the other lady who left after three months.

Anyone got a job for me? :) - I'm Bay Area and looking!

Go for it. If you can get on with one you believe has legs, then it could definitely be worth it. My company just bought like 4 in a year, and those guys now much much more than they did pre-sale.

Doesn't always work out, but, life rarely does.

Many of my customers are tech startups. I get to work on challenging problems developing new technologies with incredibly intelligent, creative, driven people.

If you don't want to deal with the 90 hour work week expectation, become really good at a field of engineering and become a consultant.

I just spoke with my manager last Friday and I'll be handing my resignation tomorrow. A contact has a short term job for me when I leave work. I got money saved up and have been applying to different long term work right now.

Been out of a job for a couple of months now, and I have turned down some offers.

I am scheduled for a final interview for a Fintech company which is a competitor to my previous company. It's a more managerial role compared to my last job but I have been given a heads up by the recruiter that I might have to take a 20-30% paycut because I don't have the most ideal background for this job.

I asked the recruiter to be endorsed in other openings more similar to my last job to get at least the level of my former paygrade was. Because I have passed three interviews and the exam already, would it be wise to hold out on the 20-30% lower offer to get a better offer? This is presuming I am a better candidate for the other openings (different department) compared to those who haven't been interviewed yet.

Back