Looks like tech industry is no longer a place for stable employment

Medical is cut throat as fuck. So many acquisitions and mergers. My friend, like what the poster above said, worked for Takeda and got laid off... Hired on by Baxter (which split his area when Shire took over) and then Shire sold that division to Takeda so ended up a Takeda employee again by doing nothing. Then Takeda decided to let his whole department go. Laid off by the same company twice.
Cut throat , brutal, very stressful. During lockdowns let my friend go who was a manager of regulatory affairs at Edwards Lifesciences. His boss didn’t know shit about shit. Had daily type meeting like “ what are you working on today”

Thankfully I’ve been lucky with good bosses and ceos.

Best Buy Geek Squad is always hiring

Von-in-Geekmobile-thegem-blog-default-large.jpg
Between the torn ligaments and abuse charges... Von's gonna have no choice to fall back on computer repair.

tech is an outrageously large umbrella.

It’s like calling someone a health worker when they are a nurse, biller, or doctor, vastly different jobs.
Sure

Really good; it’s pretty easy to make at least 125k driving truck. I knew a kid a few years ago who was fresh off a fundamentalist Mormon upbringing and went work on the rigs as a roughneck. He told me he had made 220k in 18 months; I asked him what the heck he was doing with all that money. “Oh, it’s gone,” he said. “Strippers and booze.”
Not bad <mma4>

But bad investment on the strippers and booze <Lmaoo><45><45>
Basically minimum wage once you adjust for the fact it's seasonal work and you'll be dropping a couple grand a week on whiskey, cocaine, toothless hookers and payments on a $60k truck you never use.

Good news is your boss lays you off in winter and you get to go on welfare.

Bad news is your wife is cheating on you and she takes everything in the divorce.

I used to work for a big brand tech company before my current job. I was tired of being just a number to them and wondering year to year if I was going to be part of the annual workforce reduction the company seemed to love doing for the past 20 years.

I ended up leaving and now I work for a 100 employee privately owned fintech company that's been growing at an incredible pace over the past few years.

I could go somewhere else and make a bit more, but I think I'll milk this for as long as possible. No shareholders to appease and minimal overhead for my company... Which means generous bonuses and benefits. I still get paid well for what I do.
FAANG sucks. I can attest.

Hook me up with a referral, fam!

Tech industry such as IT was regarded as the most safest bet. Well, no longer it seems. A lot of companies shedding jobs. Gaming industry the same. What is going on people.

Link above got list of all tech companies with recent layoffs and numbers.

Thoughts?
It's always been somewhat fluid. I mean I worked at one huge tech company for 5 years and I felt like I'd never leave but I took a risk and accepted a promotion to another group in my same company and was then laid off 6 months later. Later on I took a job at Tesla. I started on Halloween and in March my entire building was told we were going to be laid off in 2 months. This was all prior to Covid too, I bet it's even less reliable now.

All of the tech jobs I've seen have mostly been related to AI, coding or actual tech companies laying off due to overhiring or the company itself going bust.

As I understand it, the entire tech sector is just trying to come up with an IP, and running it at a loss until you get bought out by Google, Microsoft, or whoever the third is.
That certainly covers a part of the start up industry. But TBH there is A LOT of dumb money out there.

Geek Squad is a friggen joke. 2 Useless Virgins couldn't even put a screen on my Ipad correctly lol

Lucrative jobs in the trades just waiting on a generation that wants to make Tik Toks and become internet famous.
<JagsKiddingMe>

So my compTIA A+is worthless, is that what you are saying?!

Really good; it’s pretty easy to make at least 125k driving truck. I knew a kid a few years ago who was fresh off a fundamentalist Mormon upbringing and went work on the rigs as a roughneck. He told me he had made 220k in 18 months; I asked him what the heck he was doing with all that money. “Oh, it’s gone,” he said. “Strippers and booze.”

During the Bakken boom, I knew a group of 3 that were living together, and they were making at least $12k a month. But, they couldn't keep the power on.
There were so many people that just blew through their money, it was insane.

Thoughts?

Many took on staff after government backing from Covid corporate relief in part from increased users during quarantine. Now that quarantines are over and user bases are restricting these companies are downsizing to operate within demand to exceed Q1 2024 profit projections.

Some of these companies were just mismanaged over the past couple of years.

Saw this explanation from Mark Zuckerberg for why tech firms are laying off employees of late. It is a better explanation I believe from what I wrote earlier, on seeing and reading articles saying AI was the cause

Mark Zuckerberg weighs in on why tech companies are laying off workers​

Meta CEO says layoffs not due to increase in AI​

Back