Media Dustin Poirier: "It Could Be My LAST Fight" At UFC 302 Depending on Result

Man I hate it when a guy challenging for the title is talking about retiring. Such a letdown.

Title challenger is more interesting when they have big plans ahead of them
an old dawg can get up for a fight only so many times...before losing motivation to keep biting.
My man Dustin made it to the final boss 3 times now. I can understand him completely if he wants to hang it up after this.

May be keep the fighting possibility open for some fun fights, where Dana handsomely rewards him or Paul Brothers load up a truck for a boxing fight. He is well paid, smart, well spoken, has businesses to run and a happy family. Dustin can easily transition to the next avenue.

He's done pretty much everything but win the title. If he can do that it would be the perfect time to retire, especially over a guy like Islam. You couldn't script it any better. Would suck for the UFC but fuck em.

Dustin says it'll be his last fight ever if he wins vs Islam

Him vs Max Holloway for the BMF title still makes alot of sense but..

Win or lose he has nothing left to prove.

At this point, the man can do whatever he wants and I will be fine with it. That said, I don’t like it when they announce retirement before a title fight. Lessens the whole thing imo. If Islam wins, it will get discredited as “Piorier’s retirement fight, not s proper title defence”.
Also, nobody retires these days. They just say it and then return like zombies a while later.

Has anyone else been submitted three times in three title fights against three different dudes?

Hes about to set a world record.

Being a champ opens up new oppourtunities, sponsorships, PPV points etc..

Retiring after winning the belt is leaving a lot on the table. But then again he seems already set financially.

Has anyone else been submitted three times in three title fights against three different dudes?

Hes about to set a world record.
Chael comes close. Sub loss to Filho in WEC, Sub loss to Anderson, TKO loss to Jones. Bonus TKO loss to Anderson as well.

It’s going against Dustin/Islam and bivol/beterbiev is that day as well
Dustin/Islam and Bivol/Beterbiev is the SAME DAY?????
fucking hell I hope they don't overlap or else I'm gonna be googly eyed trying to watch two screens at once

Dustin/Islam and Bivol/Beterbiev is the SAME DAY?????
fucking hell I hope they don't overlap or else I'm gonna be googly eyed trying to watch two screens at once
It’s going against Dustin/Islam and bivol/beterbiev is that day as well

It's the same day, but the Bivol fight is in the morning and ends way before the UFC 302 PPV even starts.

Good for him, he has had a great career and has fought everyone, his resume is amazing. I'd love to see him retire by winning the belt.

It's the same day, but the Bivol fight is in the morning and ends way before the UFC 302 PPV even starts.
good - i wouldve been a very unhappy man if i had to miss one for the other

Dustin says it'll be his last fight ever if he wins vs Islam

Him vs Max Holloway for the BMF title still makes alot of sense but..

I think he hangs around for another year in the expectation that the UFC want one more fight with Conor. Would be a good way for him to go out too with that big payday finale

Weird way to go into a fight, talking about retiring.

He'z going to need a tenacity of spirit far greater than just wanting the title imo... but maybe that's exactly what he needs for all I know.

islam will school him. dustin is just too far along in his fight career to change his habits: jumping guillotine, pulling up shorts, showing fatigue.

he'll be hard on himself for a bit going 0-3 in title fights.

but then realize he can make money with the max and justin trilogies.

Could just be negotiating tactics. If you are a big enough name the UFC will throw money at you to keep you going in a wheelchair if they have to

Back