• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Woodley vs. Paul Heavies Megathread

Its shocking how some MMA fans wanted Tyron to "do more"

umm have you watched Tyron fight before more than 5 times?

He never throws combos, never had a jab, always loads up on the counter, shells up,walks forward and does nothing. He might catch someone off a counter KO like Kos/Dong or burst forward KO like Robbie/Hieron but thats it and we even saw Tyron have the biggest moment of the fight when he hurt and nearly dropped Jake b/c of it

And in MMA leg kicks and specially wrestling were a big part of most of his success and in boxing he cant utilize either. This fight went exactly like it shouldve which is hilarious b/c it showed Tyrons biggest strengths in explosiveness and speed and his biggest weaknesses as a fighter. Timidity, low output

Jake is a wrestler too, that's no excuse. He beats T Wood and Askren inside the cage as well.

The only reason MMA fighters are safe from Jake is the UFC wouldn't pay him enough to get in there and fight them.

He needs to fight someone who is universally accepted as a boxer.

UFC legend lol. This post reminds me of that Simpsons sketch with Richard Branson is listing his accomplishments and he goes “Just last week, I punched Muhammad Ali in the face” and Ali is like 90 years old at his front door getting sucker punched. Obviously Tyron isn’t 90, but he was undersized, way out of his prime, and angry.

He's not a legend? He defended his title 4 times in a row, very very small pool of fighters who can say they did that.
Way out of his prime? He was a world champion less than 3 years ago and competing in the UFC earlier this year. I just don't understand why people can't just give the kid some credit for beating a guy like Woodley

ye but look at ANY up and coming boxer, they fight absolute cans, guys coming off breaks, losses or just plain suck balls at boxing.

every promoter who signs a young fighter that doesnt have an amazing amateur career will slowly build their boxer and their record.

most guys aren't world beaters but with very careful management get bogus title shots that can lead to a fairly lucrative payday.

it looks better when you're top notch champ is fighting unbeaten guys with 20-0 records instead of extremely tough battle tested guys who may have a cpl losses.

you can become a gabe rosado by putting on thrilling fights but that can only last so long. promoters want you to get to a canelo or mayweather type event so they can cash out on your ass and hoping to find the next big cash cow.

my point is this, boxers do not fight killers when on the come up. jake paul is changing the approach by having a very profitable start to his boxing career probably knowing full well it's on shaky ground to begin with.

it was going the way he thought. if you have heard what other fighters have said when it comes to sparring paul. he makes sure hes going to be the bigger longer fighter because he knows this is why boxing is boring and predictable way more than mma. the longer younger fighter who knows how to use their range and stay disciplined will win. tyron started at the bottom of the hill and jake at the top and tyron only reached the top for a second before falling back down. hes older. he has issues firing punches. this fight went the way paul and his camp knew it would aside from jake being over confident and getting cracked. there is to much money involved. if jake fights again it will be some other non boxer he easily can outsize. i think its going to be nate or nick but either of those guys would jump paul and his crew so i doubt it happens. but i could see show time building up to that their last issue got them a lot of attention.
I do not know, man.....I think he thought the fight would go like the first two rounds for all 8 or like the Askren fight. Even after the fight he admitted this, thought he would get him out of there real quick, and changed his demeanor real quick from previously calling out everyone to one of humility, making Wilder-esque excuses about his legs being tired and wanting time off to reflect. Tonight he got in a fight and was fighting to survive. I don't think he thought the fight would look like that; TWood did not have a scratch on him, was fresh as a Daisy, got a judges scorecard and social media, and Paul looked, gassed, scared and concussed.

TWood put the fear of God in him and showed him his limitations, kind of reminded me of Conor vs Nate II in alot of way. Dude may have got the split decision, won the battle but did not win the war.

Give Rhianna 3 years of boxing, she can beat Cyborg.

Cyborg is like a mummy. I think Halle Berry would have a better chance of point-fighting Cyborg to a decsion.

Crazy how within a few hours Woodley has gone from former UFC champion with KO power to just "a wrestler" lmao

The guy just outworked a UFC legend, just give him some fucking props

Ok. He's a retired UFC legend with KO power. That makes him exactly what in the sport of boxing in the year 2021?

Jake can beat an old retired UFC fighter. So, now what? Does he get a belt for that? WBC Smaller Retired UFC Fighters Beater In A Different Sport Champion. Is that it?

Not really sure how much value you want to give to this. If Tyron was a boxer, what do you think he would be? An F Level boxer? That makes Jake a bit better than an F level boxer? Should we celebrate it?

Why hate on Woodley for wanting to make more money? It was EASY money for him...easiest money he'll ever make. Took zero damage. Look at his damn face...christ, Paul didn't do shit to him, so of course he wants that rematch

I agree, let him make more money if he can.

He's not a legend? He defended his title 4 times in a row, very very small pool of fighters who can say they did that.
Way out of his prime? He was a world champion less than 3 years ago and competing in the UFC earlier this year. I just don't understand why people can't just give the kid some credit for beating a guy like Woodley

Because Woodleys past accomplishments mean nothing in relation to the fighter (boxer) he is today. Stop pretending to be ‘tarded man, I already know you’re not from your other posts.

True.
He did have this kind of... demeanor and feeling of ''yeah I'm gonna re-assess if I wanna do this again''

I actually thought he was the real deal prior to this fight.
In spite of what everyone was saying about him... it's obvious he can punch and move well, and has some style...
And this fight showed he can dig deep and come back...
But,
I'm not sure he liked it.

It makes you wonder how much bullshit comes out of the mouths of him and his camp or any camp or team;
Because him and BJ Flores were saying he was going 8 rounds all day with good boxers...
Really?
Because he was about to fall over after 5 with a 5'9 OAP.
Suspect.
after his first fight, where he went 5 rounds with some youtuber, he admitted he was going 8 rounds easy in sparring but in the actual fight it was completely different and he gassed after 2. i brought this up earlier because i had a feeling it might happen again. and it pretty much did. his last few fights havent gone past round 1 or 2 so he doesnt have the experience of going into the later rounds. clearly his gas tank hasnt changed much since his first fight

Ok. He's a retired UFC legend with KO power. That makes him exactly what in the sport of boxing in the year 2021?

Jake can beat an old retired UFC fighter. So, now what? Does he get a belt for that? WBC Smaller Retired UFC Fighters Beater In A Different Sport Champion. Is that it?
Jake should open his own MMA promotion with all that cash and pay Usman to come fight him. Sherdog will be offline for a whole week if Jake beat Usman in MMA rules.

Justin Bieber has trained boxing for like a decade. He'd beat up 90% of the UFC roster in a boxing match, up to maybe welterweight. I'd say book Conor vs Bieber and see a good scrap.

Back