Woodley vs. Paul Heavies Megathread

The Chosen

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Mod edit: This thread and all others discussing the boxing match between Tyron Woodley and Jake Paul have been merged into one. If you wish to talk about that fight in the heavies, do it in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack beating Woodley wouldn't seem like its really impacting MMA to most of us. Next cards keep rolling in, we keep watching, all good...

But if he beats Tyron, a lot of casuals and the masses in general will begin scratching their heads, and wondering "how does a youtuber with a couple years training beat this pro fighter who was competing against top 5 talent in the ufc not too long ago?"...

Then, what if Jack ends up fighting, idk, fucking Belfort or somebody and beats him too. This all makes us look really bad in the eyes of those that bring the most eyes and revenue to this sport.

A lot of ppl will think the ufc and mma is trash and they'll stop buying ppvs, stop watching ESPN cards, and in turn fighters pockets will be hurt more than ever before.

I know it sounds like I'm catastrophizing right now but this is the slope we can be heading down very soon. You and I know Askren, Woodley and some other old former ufc fighter losing to Jack doesnt mean shit, but the casual brain is just tallying "UFC fighters beaten by YouTube punk".

Shit is getting real dawg

Mod edit: This thread and all others discussing the boxing match between Tyron Woodley and Jake Paul have been merged into one. If you wish to talk about that fight in the heavies, do it in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Na imo it's only a bit more significant than all the ONE boasting... Sure some folks will buy into it but it's a repeat of Celeb Fighting...

Nothing to see...

Bro, a WWE guy literally became the HW champ and defended his nelt more times than say, Werdum. This song and dance has happened before, chill.

1 Brock has a wrestling background
2 Brock is also a physical specimen. Legit athlete.
3 It was a while ago when MMA was nowhere near as popular as it is today.

Much different tune

How can anybody that understands fighting sports be surprised by a young athletic boxer beating a old washed up mma champ thats 30lbs smaller than him?

Vitor vs oscar is a much more interesting matchup than this farce, Woodley has zero chance, hes not a boxer, and his power wont be much two weight classes above where he usually fights at with boxing gloves.

Woodley is pushing 40 and he's on a four fight skid. He comes from a wrestling background and no one considers him one of the better pure boxers in MMA. Anyone with half a brain sees what Paul is trying to do here. Get a shot, once great fighter out of his comfort zone in a new sport and capitalize off his name.

Jake Paul is great for MMA.

He is creating a competing outlet for UFC stars to make more money, forcing the UFC to pay more for their fighters to stick around.

I hope 100 more Jake Paul's come around and twist the arm of the UFC to pay their fighters more.

These celebrity fights are great for all of MMA, win or lose.

I doubt it effects UFC viewership

In contrast a lot of MMA fans are likely ordering Paul vs Woodley PPVs...without MMA fans, Paul's PPVs wouldn't sell nearly as much.

Paul himself said a boxing fight with Masvidal would sell a lot more than one of him vs Fury (not Tyson but his half-brother whether his name is).

Since Woodley vs Paul is on a Sunday (and doesn't conflict with tomorrow's UFC event) I'll be ordering it...but I didn't care to order Mayweather vs Paul because there was no UFC fighter involved. I'm sure lots of other UFC fans are ordering for the same reason.

Also, don't forget, Conor went 10 rounds with floyd, won rounds and the ref saved floyd at one point.

Boxing has a black eye too.

Unless Woodley has deteriorated horribly or throw the match I can't see him losing.

Jake beat Askren, who's perhaps the most ungifted unathletic striker in modern MMA. I wouldn't pick Askren to win a stand up fight against a random guy on the street.

There's a gigantic difference between Askren and Woodley. I would be legitimately surprised if this Jake guy beats Woodley.

Who gives a shit if some young guy that is training boxing seriously beats up an old guy like Woodley?

The day one of these youtubers steps into a cage even against an old guy like Woodley. And then actually beats him. That’s the day you need to worry about. And it’s not happening any time soon. Calm down.

Back