Wonderboy's ground game

KO By Knee

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Everyone saying he de-thrones Woodley seem to forget the Matt Brown fight. He was taken down very easily and in a lot of his fights he greatly slows down by the third. Brown really messed him up with elbows from top and Woodley is much bigger and much stronger, sure Wonderboy has amazing striking but could he stop Woodley's takedowns? Would his gas tank hold for 5 heavy rounds? I think he does need a test fight with Lawler IMO.

Yeah... is not like the Matt Brown fight was a zillion years ago and Wonderboy has not improved a lot since that.

Ellenberger, Rory and Hendricks have really good takedowns and offensive grappling... neither did anything to Wonderboy.

it's actually the secret of his power.

No Tyrone isn't getting Wonderboy down. Tyrone getting kicked in the face.

So to test his ground game, you would put him with Robbie Lawler...

Yeah... is not like the Matt Brown fight was a zillion years ago and Wonderboy has not improved a lot since that.

Ellenberger, Rory and Hendricks have really good takedowns and offensive grappling... neither did anything to Wonderboy.

They all stood and didn't have a game plan revolve around using the fence and a wrestling strong offense. Truth is you can improve but someone like Woodley a champ with strong wrestling is a class above.

why do people still bring up the brown fight? it was years ago and it was one of the best things that could've happened to wonderboy, it made him so much better. Bringing up that loss would be like bringing up aldos early submission loss. People improve.

the MMAth is working hard on this fight. Rory styled on woodley early and often. Wonderboy outclassed rory. I think woodley will do better than rory did though.

The Matt Brown fight was ages ago. Since then he has negated the wrestling of world class fighters like Hendricks and Rory.

why do people still bring up the brown fight? it was years ago and it was one of the best things that could've happened to wonderboy, it made him so much better. Bringing up that loss would be like bringing up aldos early submission loss. People improve.

I don't do it negatively it is the only fight we actually see weakness in his game. He doesn't have much to go off since he takes everyone out in the first or batters them so bad on the feet there's nothing left.

This is like when people kept bringing up Randy's sub losses 10 years later.

I think Wonderboy's tougher than Woodley is. He took a beating on the ground from Brown but still was being aggressive & landing good punches afterward in the standup. Woodley broke & quit mentally against both Rory MacDonald and Jake Shields.

I think Wonderboy's tougher than Woodley is. He took a beating on the ground from Brown but still was being aggressive & landing good punches afterward in the standup. Woodley broke & quit mentally against both Rory MacDonald and Jake Shields.

Great point, Im gonna go ahead and re-watch those fights.

Fighting Robbie wouldn't test his ground game.

Last time out against Rory, his gas tank seemed just fine. Granted it was a relatively easy fight in terms of cardio.

Lawler is the #1 contender right joe. Wonderboy has already beaten the #1 contender. Either give him the shot or admit he isn't ready

Brown and Woodley are completely different fighters, and Thompson has improved massively since the Brown fight.

I give your thread 1.5/10.

They all stood and didn't have a game plan revolve around using the fence and a wrestling strong offense. Truth is you can improve but someone like Woodley a champ with strong wrestling is a class above.
They all tried but Thompson just was not there.

I can see Woodley beating Wonderboy if he catches him with a big right hand and finishes him on the ground. He is not going to win via wrestling.

But anyways.. Tyron already ducked and wants to fight out of the couch guys.

I don't do it negatively it is the only fight we actually see weakness in his game. He doesn't have much to go off since he takes everyone out in the first or batters them so bad on the feet there's nothing left.

i think if we analyze how he fights, hes less effective whens hes pressured and relies a lot on reflexes. That a possible weakness that someone with Tyron's speed could exploit. He could catch him early.

Everyone saying he de-thrones Woodley seem to forget the Matt Brown fight. He was taken down very easily and in a lot of his fights he greatly slows down by the third. Brown really messed him up with elbows from top and Woodley is much bigger and much stronger, sure Wonderboy has amazing striking but could he stop Woodley's takedowns? Would his gas tank hold for 5 heavy rounds? I think he does need a test fight with Lawler IMO.

He just beat Hendricks and Rory back to back thats ts deserving and neither of them could take him down and rory in fact outwrestled woodley

Let's forget about the ground game for a second. How is WB's stand-up going to do against a a guy that's quicker, stronger and faster than him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back