• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Women will only be jailed for serious crimes in the UK.

Desdinova

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Women should no longer be sent to prison unless they have committed a serious crime, the Justice Secretary says today, as he unveils a "step change" in the way the justice system deals with female offenders.

Ministers want to "break the cycle" of sending women to jail after it emerged less than 40 women behind bars in England and Wales have committed a violent offense and most others are serving just a few months for crimes like shoplifting.

"That’s why today we are announcing a step change in our approach to rehabilitating women offenders – we will shift from prisons to women’s centers which focus on the full range of support services beginning with five pilots across England and Wales."

“I want this strategy to be the start of a shift in attitudes to the way we support female offenders with greater emphasis on community provision. This ultimately benefits everyone - offenders, their families and the wider community as we see fewer victims and cut the cost of reoffending."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...dont-send-women-prison-unless-commit-violent/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_prison_population#cite_note-1
The total UK prison population was 83,620 (0.13% of the population), 79,750 men and 3,870 women in 2018. Men are already more than 20 times as likely as women to be imprisoned.

What do you think? Should both genders be treated equally under the law, or should women get special treatment?

Seems like a cost cutting measure, although aside from the comparative lack of violent women offenders I don't see a reason to make it a gender based policy.
If you're going to introduce "home detention", low security prisons or similar policy for misdemeanors, it should just be a blanket approach.

Living in the UK is pretty much the same as being in prison so I guess I agree with the judges.

up next: straight white men to receive death penalty for breathing

A whole bunch of drug dealers about to start identifying as female.

So if a man and a woman shoplift together only the man will get jail time? I can see this leading to far more women committing non violent crimes and men in gangs encouraging them and using them now tbey wont see jail time

Because women won't take advantage of this...

Most women criminals were corrupted by men, I say let the girls off altogether and find the guy who coerced/forced her to do what she did.

Great idea! Female heroin addicts will stop committing crimes altogether if there's no real consequences. It's physics, innit?

Women should no longer be sent to prison unless they have committed a serious crime, the Justice Secretary says today, as he unveils a "step change" in the way the justice system deals with female offenders.

Ministers want to "break the cycle" of sending women to jail after it emerged less than 40 women behind bars in England and Wales have committed a violent offense and most others are serving just a few months for crimes like shoplifting.

"That’s why today we are announcing a step change in our approach to rehabilitating women offenders – we will shift from prisons to women’s centers which focus on the full range of support services beginning with five pilots across England and Wales."

“I want this strategy to be the start of a shift in attitudes to the way we support female offenders with greater emphasis on community provision. This ultimately benefits everyone - offenders, their families and the wider community as we see fewer victims and cut the cost of reoffending."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...dont-send-women-prison-unless-commit-violent/
The total UK prison population was 83,620 (0.13% of the population), 79,750 men and 3,870 women in 2018. Men are already more than 20 times as likely as women to be imprisoned.

What do you think? Should both genders be treated equally under the law, or should women get special treatment?

Equality under the law is the only path to a free society. This is horrific.

get that title corrected.... England and Wales does not equal the entire UK. Scotland has its own laws

So, like race we want everything to be equal..... except when we can use it to our advantage. Bravo

I'm all for cutting hands off shoplifters rather than imprisoning them.

The funny thing is its really hard for a woman to go to jail in UK alltogether and any crime they commit with a man, the man always get blamed. This is just dumb though

More bullshit fròm the UK

Really happy my ancestors decided to move to the other side of the world

I could be wrong about it just being a cost cutting measure to reduce the number of women's prisons.
The strategy document makes it sound more like they want to replace short prison sentences with longer mandatory rehabilitation programs.
They also stress the desirability of not usually having to take children into custody under these programs.

Back