Woman Drives for 900 Miles Instead of 90 Thanks to GPS Error

Jay Jay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
http://gizmodo.com/5975787/woman-drives-for-900-miles-instead-of-90-thanks-to-gps-error
The woman, 67-year-old Sabine Moreau, started her journey in her home town of Hainault Erquelinnes, Belgium. She wanted to pick up a friend at a train station in Brussels, just 93 miles north from her point of origin. But instead, she turned on her GPS, which told her to drive south, taking her turn by turn all the way down to Zagreb, in Croatia. Instead of a couple hours in the car, she spent a couple days to cover the 900 miles that separates both points in Europe.

During Sabine's odyssey, she stopped two times to get gas, slept for a few hours on the side of the road, and even suffered a minor car accident. How the hell did this happen without her noticiting? She knows it sounds weird, but she was distracted, she said:

I was distracted, so I kept driving. I saw all kinds of traffic signs, first in French, then German and finally in Croatian, but I kept driving because I was distracted. Suddenly I appeared in Zagreb and I realized I wasn't in Belgium anymore.

original.jpg

Last edited:
It's for this reasons like this, it's inevitable that the machines will take over one day.

Turn left, continue forever.

Suddenly I appeared in Zagreb and I realized I wasn't in Belgium anymore.

y206208460464340.jpg

Crocop is not impressed by her performance.

c'mon, you have to have some basic idea how far things are and how low it takes to get there, i can't believe this woman made it to 67

Distracted by what? What could possibly distract you so completely as to do so for days, over the course of 900 miles?

I was distracted, so I kept driving. I saw all kinds of traffic signs, first in French, then German and finally in Croatian, but I kept driving because I was distracted. Suddenly I appeared in Zagreb and I realized I wasn't in Belgium anymore.

wtf_gif_urkel.gif

This is absolutely hilarious. I know GPSs can fuck up on you, but I usually figure it out fairly quickly. Anyways, there are things called Google Maps and Mapquest that I normally look at before hand to see where I'm going. This would have prevented this stupid mistake. Also, I really find it hard to believe she has no knowledge of the geography of her own country. She should at least know within a couple hours how close Brussels is to her.

Something similar, but not as drastic happened with someone my dad used to work with. This guy bought tickets to a NASCAR race in Bristol, TN. He lived in Cookeville, TN which is right off I-40, so 90% of the drive is just I-40 East. He went west on I-40, and he ended up in Memphis before he realized he went the wrong way. Bristol is only about 3-4hrs from Cookeville. Memphis is almost 5.

Fuckin hell just shoot her in the head already.

Distracted by what? What could possibly distract you so completely as to do so for days, over the course of 900 miles?

She was probably daydreaming about all the waffles and frites she was going to eat once she picked up her friend.

thats so sad

i feel bad for her

This is absolutely hilarious. I know GPSs can fuck up on you, but I usually figure it out fairly quickly. Anyways, there are things called Google Maps and Mapquest that I normally look at before hand to see where I'm going. This would have prevented this stupid mistake. Also, I really find it hard to believe she has no knowledge of the geography of her own country. She should at least know within a couple hours how close Brussels is to her.

Something similar, but not as drastic happened with someone my dad used to work with. This guy bought tickets to a NASCAR race in Bristol, TN. He lived in Cookeville, TN which is right off I-40, so 90% of the drive is just I-40 East. He went west on I-40, and he ended up in Memphis before he realized he went the wrong way. Bristol is only about 3-4hrs from Cookeville. Memphis is almost 5.

Mapquest?

Is it 2001?

Back