Woman doesn't want black delivery man in her home. Internet has some opinions.

What makes this case similar to other disputed ones is that some have argued that they should simply refuse her service for being a racist. That is, you have the right to refuse service to people on the basis of an ideology you disagree with, which begins a slippery slope, but more than that, does contain some elements of hypocrisy from those who claim that you should be tolerant of all ideologies, even ones you disagree with.

The strawman/ad hominem here is that defending her right to be a racist, somehow means that you are a racist.

Obviously she cannot demand such a particular service that is not offered, but this is a far cry from refusing to serve her at all.

They did not deny her service because of her views. They did it because she DISCRIMINATED against one their employees, which is against the law. She can still be racist but cannot dictate to a business who their delivery people are.

USA baby!

They did not deny her service because of her views. They did it because she DISCRIMINATED against one their employees, which is against the law. She can still be racist but cannot dictate to a business who their delivery people are.

USA baby!

They didn't deny her service as far as I know, but that wasn't the point. The point was that some people have argued that they should deny her service because she is a racist. Which is certainly your prerogative to do so, but we need not pretend that this is a tolerant attitude.

They didn't deny her service as far as I know, but that wasn't the point. The point was that some people have argued that they should deny her service because she is a racist. Which is certainly your prerogative to do so, but we need not pretend that this is a tolerant attitude.

I think most people believe that they should have denied her request and if she didn't like it then they could refund her money. That is not the same as denying service.

I think most people believe that they should have denied her request and if she didn't like it then they could refund her money. That is not the same as denying service.

Sure, that's what I suggest as well. Explain we don't accommodate based on race, so either pick it up yourself, have your furniture delivered outside your home, or take your business elsewhere.

This commentary was addressing those specifically that would deny her service because she's racist.

Amusing to see people arguing that a customer should have the right to be racist towards an employee of a company they wish to do business with.

lol so NOW all of a sudden it's ok for a business to discriminate and turn you down because they don't agree with the customer's views .. how fkn rich lol .. you libs are the biggest hypocrites .. this is why it's hard to take any of you idiots seriously

they didnt turn her down. LOWE's fulfilled their end of the deal by attempting to deliver it to her. She turned THEM down, and prevented their employee from completing his job.

The manager screwed up and that is why he got fired. They should have denied her service and be proud of it too. As I said she can have any views she wants, but when she steps into to telling a business who can or can't do the delivery based on their race, that's a problem.

This. Let her be a stupid c-nt. The KKK will be there to fight for her. It is Virginia.

You made a point about her being c-nt, then follow up with the KKK.. then the part that really gets me is you blame the entire state because of it. I hope you never wonder why people do this sh-t. See that is some real prejudiced sh-t right there. At least she came out and said she was a racist, you on the other hand are doing it behind a veil. I hope you know you're just as much the problem here in America as she is.

As for the lady, I don't agree with her request but she had a right to say it. It's good the manager got fired for obliging that.

The manager screwed up and that is why he got fired. They should have denied her service and be proud of it too. As I said she can have any views she wants, but when she steps into to telling a business who can or can't do the delivery based on their race, that's a problem.

There is no right or wrong answer here, it's highly subjective. I agree she doesn't have the right to demand a specific service that is not offered, beyond that, there are many ways to look at this.

USA baby!

not allowing someone in your house is considered an allowable discrimination..... :rolleyes:

not allowing someone in your house is considered an allowable discrimination..... :rolleyes:

I agree 100%, but at the same time a business cannot be told who can make their deliveries. The only real solution is for her to take her business elsewhere to whoever has an all white delivery crew.

I agree 100%, but at the same time a business cannot be told who can make their deliveries. The only real solution is for her to take her business elsewhere to whoever has an all white delivery crew.

she can tell them all she wants, they dont have to comply. I had a recent dishwasher deliver, and I asked them to install it as well. They said they couldnt install, end of story.

if a lady asks for non black delivery, and you know that there are some black guys delivering.... you simply reject her request. It's as simple as saying, "I have black workers, I cant do that." No need to get really in depth about it.

I have a really anal old widowed neighbor. I simply dont associate with her. She'll occasionally ask for help, and I'll just deny her request. It's as simple as leaving those people alone, you cant please every one, and you shouldnt be compelled to do work for someone you dont like, including gay cake bakers.

she can tell them all she wants, they dont have to comply. I had a recent dishwasher deliver, and I asked them to install it as well. They said they couldnt install, end of story.

if a lady asks for non black delivery, and you know that there are some black guys delivering.... you simply reject her request. It's as simple as saying, "I have black workers, I cant do that." No need to get really in depth about it.

I have a really anal old widowed neighbor. I simply dont associate with her. She'll occasionally ask for help, and I'll just deny her request. It's as simple as leaving those people alone, you cant please every one, and you shouldnt be compelled to do work for someone you dont like, including gay cake bakers.

Yup, I agree. I'm done here.

I know that area; the really odd thing is that the area is predom. black - 48% to 46% white.

I can't imagine how someone can live in an area like that and still be racist.

You are such a massively huge Douchebag, but I'm sure you are already well aware of that.

A massively huge douchebag? :rolleyes:

You sound like the overly dramatic windbag that got this guy fired for making a poor choice

lol so NOW all of a sudden it's ok for a business to discriminate and turn you down because they don't agree with the customer's views .. how fkn rich lol .. you libs are the biggest hypocrites .. this is why it's hard to take any of you idiots seriously

If she doesn't like who is delivering the furniture she can pick it up herself or take her business elsewhere. A company shouldn't undermine it's core values to appease some dumbass customer.

Are you a troll or just racist?

Both of you idiots are so quick to argue that you dont realise all 3 of us agree.

Anyone deserve to be served and acomodated. The old lady had a unusual request and the manager had the power to OK or refuse it. He made the controvercial one.

As far as muslem and orthodox jews request against womens happened many time over already in Canada. See story about jew not wanting to seat next to a woman on a plane.

No, we don't agree. The bakery and this are different as far as I'm concerned. She requested a service that lowe's provides, and was afforded that service, but wanted to alter it based on discriminatory views.

The gay couple wanted a service that the bakery provided and weren't afforded that service because of discriminatory views.

I'm not in canada. Like I said, if there are cases of xyz using discriminatory views to affect service provided or not provide service then start up a thread and I will more or less express the same views. Simple.

Are you a troll or just racist?

He/she is actually one of the few open racists here in the WR. You learn to ignore them... for the most part.

Back