Woman doesn't want black delivery man in her home. Internet has some opinions.

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Article here (link).

Long story short, black delivery driver was pulled off a delivery because the woman purchasing the furniture didn't want a black person in her house.

Local media got involved, Lowe's HQ fired the store manager, and when reporters asked the woman about her request, she said, "I got a right to have whatever I want and that's it."

The comments on the bottom of the article run the whole gamut of people who make me roll my eyes.

We have the scatterbrained ranter connecting tenuous threads into a very passionate diatribe:

No different than asking not to have a Gay doctor, or Arab delivery guy, or Male secretary, or White teacher, or Female president. It is an expression of "FREEDOM"... Oh wait this is America. Land of the Banned, Home if the Opinion.

Todd:I see no violations of the act as the delivery man was not penalized by his employer nor denied housing. The Supremes have decided a Christian baker cannot refuse to bake a cake. What's good for one state will soon be effective in all 50 under the same Federal Law you cite. Therefore the sale could not be denied although the site of delivery could be argued (front sidewalk vs kitchen). The woman's property/privacy rights were violated.She was publicly lynched & shamed when the news crew knocked on her door uninvited & stuck a camera in her face (did they ask/get permission to film her?). A No Trespassing sign is nullified when you ask a person to deliver something to your property, that would be entrapment. I cannot distinguish if a person is gay, demoncat or whatever by looking at them. But I will open my door because they may need help. That is common sense humanity.End of lesson.

The people worried about the woman's rights:

Think about your own rights for a minute. The black delivery man has no "right" to enter anyone's home. Lowe's is not allowed to FORCE anyone into somebody's home against their wishes. Only the homeowner has the right to pick & choose who comes and goes. Assuming you're a homeowner, would you like this right taken away?

I have the right to not let anyone in my house. I can't believe some of these comments on here!

Who would let someone in their home that they did not feel safe with or went against what they asked for in the first place ! This lady has every right to whom she lets enter her home. If a brush salesman knocked on your door in a pair of jeans that were dirty and a shirt with holes , what would you do , let him in or tell him no thanks and close the door ? Cannot understand why people cannot mind their own business and leave others alone. Unless the lady had a baseball bat in her hand threatening to harm someone leave her alone; as she has her RIGHTS also !!!

The people attacking Lowe's and the nefarious driver who may be up to no good:

Another knee-jerk reaction by a corporation to appease the low-information sheeple. Lowes punishes a manager for a customer's ignorance. What a crock. If manager loses the sale, he is wrong. If he listens to the customer, he is wrong. Manager cannot win in this case. Did the driver win? Nope, he proved himself to be a hyper-sensitive ignoramus.

The manager was not being racist he was doing what the racist customer asked him to do. We that deal with the public have always been told THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!! He did what he or she was trained to do as we all have been that deal with the public. If the role was reversed nothing would have been done to the white delivery person. I think the delivery person is doing this to be in the spot light and to sue Lowes and not work anymore. The manager who I am sure worked hard to get where he was has NOTHING. My husband who is a contractor and I plus our families will no longer do business with Lowes.

People attacking the media:

Shame on WSET for going to this old lady's house with a camera demanding a statement, hope she is lawyered up by now. What happened to privacy? Her request was HER request, and since when does Lowes give out customer data (name, address) and WSET broadcast it and no one seems to be bothered by that? You people put a target on her back and no one cares. What a country! I am not saying this lady was right, I'm just saying it was a personal request, leave it alone. We are all raised with different beliefs, some people grow to change, some don't it's as simple as that. I was always taught that when you let someone anger you, you are letting that person take control, grow up, take control and don't let one little old lady bring you down. Leave her alone.

Sure a lot of arguments on whose rights are more important than others 'rights'. First, Lowes couldn't deny the sale. Wasn't a Christian baker told this about samesex wedding cakes? So mgr. invites being sued by refusing delivery & risks being sued by delivery guy by replacing him on truck.So manager gets fired for judgement call trying to appease customer while explaining problem to delivery guy (hoping he'll understand), but apparently delivery guy's rights trump manager's attempted diplomacy. Did delivery guy phone WSET by the way, who's always more than willing to stir the pot, cause 'race wars' sell? Woman gets public lynching by news ambush & forfeits her property rights due to PC public attitudes based on 'feelings' rather than law. I guess we all can't just get along after all. Suggestion guys, next time leave it on the sidewalk & let her figure out how to get in the house.

Just curious how many Sherdoggers agree with these sentiments?

Last edited:
That store manager should have had some balls and told the lady to accept the delivery as is or to get her furniture elsewhere. You can't kowtow to every retarded customer request, especially when said requests harm employee relations or open your company up to litigation.

If I was the black guy, I'd say "look lady, if you want this furniture, I will carry it in for you. If you don't want me in your house, I'll drop it off in your yard. Take your pick."

Eh, she made a request and instead of making a big deal out of it, the store manager tried to accommodate the customer... The story sounds a bit overblown and dramatic tbh.

1zbc38h.jpg

Manager made the wrong call but it wasn't an easy choice. He should have punted this one up the management chain. CYA.

The manager's mistake was telling the employee he couldn't do the delivery because he's black. He could have invented a reason and the whole thing would have been settled quietly without anyone finding out about it. Now that it's public knowledge people are going on a witch hunt.

Well, she doesn't have to let anybody she doesn't want in her house. That can be for racist reasons to.

LOWE's doesn't have to worry about it though. No sending a white guy. She can either refund it or get it in herself. Honestly, i'm not sure why she needed to cite her rights. It's not like the Government was trying to have this guy deliver her furniture...nor should i private company really have to worry about the quirks of each customer. Go somewhere else or get the couch in yourself.

Send this one to Trump, he'd put her in her place.

Well, she doesn't have to let anybody she doesn't want in her house. That can be for racist reasons to.

LOWE's doesn't have to worry about it though. No sending a white guy. She can either refund it or get it in herself. Honestly, i'm not sure why she needed to cite her rights. It's not like the Government was trying to have this guy deliver her furniture...nor should i private company really have to worry about the quirks of each customer. Go somewhere else or get the couch in yourself.

I really think this is a good POV.

If the lady is racist and doesn't want certain ethnicities in her home in order to provide a service for her then no store manager can tell her she is wrong and crowbar the door open to get the undesired individual in the house. But he can say "OK, but my delivery guy is black. So you can either accept him as a human being offering to help you, or you can have the furniture left in your front yard and arrange it to be brought in yourself, or you can buy the furniture elsewhere."

It really does blow my mind how much racially motivated stuff comes up here in the war room.

The manager's mistake was telling the employee he couldn't do the delivery because he's black. He could have invented a reason and the whole thing would have been settled quietly without anyone finding out about it. Now that it's public knowledge people are going on a witch hunt.

Responses like this is how I know I'm in the WR.

Kick it up the managment chain or simply tell her "these are the delivery men, if you have a problem with them I can refund your purchase" end of discussion.

Back