Woman doesn't want black delivery man in her home. Internet has some opinions.

You are such a massively huge Douchebag, but I'm sure you are already well aware of that.

What makes him a douchebag? It is being overblown and a guy losing his job is a sacrifice to the media and the public, not out of principle. Yeah, I think the manager should have said that the delivery guy is the delivery guy if your only problem with him is his race and she could have accepted that or went elsewhere. He tried to appease her instead because it probably wasn't hard to just send someone else. It didn't inhibit the business in any real sense to accommodate such a request. They'd probably have done something that actually put them out to keep a customer, in fact. So, he could have stood on principle but the whole firing thing is not because they think what he did was wrong or that it really warrants a termination. It's to avoid the public backlash that is inevitable in situations like this. They just want to distance themselves from him and the public outcry. His having agreed to her request doesn't peg him as a racist. He just made a practical rather than principled decision and it backfired. People are stupid and this was basically a non-event.

The thing about society in the age of the internet and mass communication with its 24-hour news cycle where any little piece of controversy or drama could be a national story is that it results in this aggregate effect of public displeasure that is just way out of proportion with the original event. People sometimes do stupid things, not meaning to hurt someone and they get lynched for it. Doing something foolish or in poor taste can now ruin someone's life while you average person that is caught red-handed and convicted of serious crimes remains fairly obscure just because such humdrum events barely warrant media and public attention compared to something they can get fired up arguing about.

I'm not gonna start a thread for this silly shit, but I thought I'd ask you wise guys anyways. Do you guys wanna play Is it Racist?

So, I've been cutting down on my time at the bars and restaurants lately because of my enrollment in law school. Accordingly, I got drunk on some bourbon at home with my roommate tonight. I happened to stumble upon a news story about a black athlete who overcame Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and I, off-hand, said "I wonder if persons of African descent have higher immunity to certain diseases because their ancestors spent less time with antiseptics and other early immunity-oriented medicines?" My roommate, who I just moved in with and is kind of a bleeding heart (much less intelligent than the social far-left which you happen to see here), jumped down my throat about jumping to conclusions and being racist.

Was I racist?

Not even a little

What makes him a douchebag? It is being overblown and a guy losing his job is a sacrifice to the media and the public, not out of principle. Yeah, I think the manager should have said that the delivery guy is the delivery guy if your only problem with him is his race and she could have accepted that or went elsewhere. He tried to appease her instead because it probably wasn't hard to just send someone else. It didn't inhibit the business in any real sense to accommodate such a request. They'd probably have done something that actually put them out to keep a customer, in fact. So, he could have stood on principle but the whole firing thing is not because they think what he did was wrong or that it really warrants a termination. It's to avoid the public backlash that is inevitable in situations like this. They just want to distance themselves from him and the public outcry. His having agreed to her request doesn't peg him as a racist. He just made a practical rather than principled decision and it backfired. People are stupid and this was basically a non-event.

The thing about society in the age of the internet and mass communication with its 24-hour news cycle where any little piece of controversy or drama could be a national story is that it results in this aggregate effect of public displeasure that is just way out of proportion with the original event. People sometimes do stupid things, not meaning to hurt someone and they get lynched for it. Doing something foolish or in poor taste can now ruin someone's life while you average person that is caught red-handed and convicted of serious crimes remains fairly obscure just because such humdrum events barely warrant media and public attention compared to something they can get fired up arguing about.

You're entire diatribe is complete assumption, and I dismiss it as just that.

But a point that keeps coming up that a business put themselves and and make that money whenever they can, and that's just not based in reality.

If a company has a policy, it's a fucking policy. They are not gonna just throw it out the window every time and accommodate the customer. If a restaurant closes at 10, and a big party comes in at 9:59 and says "we're hungry", they aren't getting served.

There is a give and take between customers and businesses, so for those (not you, I know) that say they just should have just done whatever the women wanted, that's not how shit works.nor should it be.

Maybe she's had a bad experience before, maybe a black guy broke into her house in the past or assaulted her.
Obviously that's no reason to have a view on an entire race and apply it to them all, but that's the way some people think.

If a company has a policy, it's a fucking policy. They are not gonna just throw it out the window every time and accommodate the customer. If a restaurant closes at 10, and a big party comes in at 9:59 and says "we're hungry", they aren't getting served.

You obviously don't know the restaurant business. Yes. They are 99% of the time getting served. Probably even at 10:00

You obviously don't know the restaurant business. Yes. They are 99% of the time getting served. Probably even at 10:00

Sure, let's go on a tangent for several back and forth posts about knowledge of the restaurant business
1zw0n5y.gif

Did I go on a tangent or engage in a diatribe? Do you know what either of the words mean? Or did you just really want to post that GIF?

The manager's mistake was telling the employee he couldn't do the delivery because he's black. He could have invented a reason and the whole thing would have been settled quietly without anyone finding out about it. Now that it's public knowledge people are going on a witch hunt.
That gives the appearance of condoning the request whether you intend to do that or not, and whether or not the request should be condoned is the bulk of the issue as far as I see.

It's a bit like saying the problem with Jeffrey Dahmer is that he didn't know how to hide bodies.

Regarding the last comment, "witch hunts" are bad because witches aren't real. Racists are real, and people's or business owners' choice to socially reject them, if they do so, is legitimate.

I'm not gonna start a thread for this silly shit, but I thought I'd ask you wise guys anyways. Do you guys wanna play Is it Racist?

So, I've been cutting down on my time at the bars and restaurants lately because of my enrollment in law school. Accordingly, I got drunk on some bourbon at home with my roommate tonight. I happened to stumble upon a news story about a black athlete who overcame Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and I, off-hand, said "I wonder if persons of African descent have higher immunity to certain diseases because their ancestors spent less time with antiseptics and other early immunity-oriented medicines?" My roommate, who I just moved in with and is kind of a bleeding heart (much less intelligent than the social far-left which you happen to see here), jumped down my throat about jumping to conclusions and being racist.

Was I racist?

It's pretty uninformed, but you were drunk so maybe that's the reason. Antiseptics have only been around for a few generations and that's not long enough to affect evolution. Added to the fact that antiseptics reduce a person's immunity because they never encounter certain germs they never fully exercise and strengthen their immune system.

Maybe not racist, but definitely ethnocentric (if you're not African yourself) since you implied they were suffering the consequences of being backwards savages.

Was I racist?

Not racist nor discriminatory and no sign of prejudice.....not an entirely well thought out comment but you admitted to that :)

Maybe not racist, but definitely ethnocentric (if you're not African yourself) since you implied they were suffering the consequences of being backwards savages.

Big leap of faith on the ethnocentric designation...

He admitted that he had been drinking and that the thought just popped up (sic)... It simply a case of a"not a well thought out comment"...hells bells man, you pointed that in the beginning of your response....

You're racist for telling him he was ethnocentric because you inferred he was white lol

You're entire diatribe is complete assumption, and I dismiss it as just that.

But a point that keeps coming up that a business put themselves and and make that money whenever they can, and that's just not based in reality.

There is a give and take between customers and businesses, so for those (not you, I know) that say they just should have just done whatever the women wanted, that's not how shit works.nor should it be.

I'm describing an obvious and dramatic general trend. It's not assumption, it's not conjecture. It's a natural consequence of the way society has changed. It is absolutely true that there is a mob mentality in society where people are literally harassed and made to fear for their lives over even the smallest of infractions if it gets enough attention and the anonymous nature of the internet makes it all the easier to enforce those feelings for the public on those that "step out of line." Further, it is true that large businesses have to contend with this state of affairs and not draw the ire of the public or it could really affect their bottom line. They are in a very reel way slaves to public opinion and they'll throw a low-level employee under the bus to avoid that sort of attention 100 out of 100 times.

Some restaurants do serve a party that comes in last minute, some don't. It all does come down to money. That is the overriding factor in every business, and that generally become truer the bigger and more impersonal a business is and it is actually a matter of law when you are talking about a publicly traded company; there is a responsibility to shareholders. But your restaurant analogy is pointless because it's a false analogy to begin with. Restaurants are high volume businesses. They are willing to go less out of their way for an individual customer or party because they are just one of many and easily replaced but they still often will for smaller things. When you are talking about making a several thousand dollar sale, that's handled a bit differently and going out of your way to get that business is part of a salesperson's or manager's job to some extent. It comes down to "how much is your business worth to us."

What if she had requested a female delivery person, if possible, because she was afraid of men or was a lone Muslim woman that didn't want to be alone with men? What if this lady had been victimized by black men in some way in the past and had anxiety problems when they come into her house now? The whole, "well, technically we don't discriminate in who we send" probably wouldn't have been as demanded by large segments of the public. The topic of racism on the part of whites is always going to be seized on because it grabs the public's attention and excites their passions.

It's pretty uninformed, but you were drunk so maybe that's the reason. Antiseptics have only been around for a few generations and that's not long enough to affect evolution. Added to the fact that antiseptics reduce a person's immunity because they never encounter certain germs they never fully exercise and strengthen their immune system.

You think it's ethnocentric to suppose that medical advancements have historically benefited society's disproportionately and that this has consequences? lol, I don't think you know what the word means, then. It requires making a judgement of other cultures than your own, in a moral sense, not a factual one. By your application, any study of cultures not your own would be by definition ethnocentric.

Modern medical science developed in the West, in the European tradition. This is an uncontroversial historical fact, not a judgement unless your mind automatically takes that leap. Maybe yours does but don't assume that of everyone.

I also don't think that antiseptics have meaningfully influenced the evolution of humans but in point of fact evolution occurs every generation.

companies cant fire you for saying that youre gay
It depends, actually. Sexuality is not a federally protected class and in several states you can be fired, evicted, denied services generally if you're homosexual.
Some states do include sexuality along with religion, race, and sex but that's a state level policy.

If I was the black guy, I'd say "look lady, if you want this furniture, I will carry it in for you. If you don't want me in your house, I'll drop it off in your yard. Take your pick."

You're a good guy, rip.

You are one of THOSE people huh? This ignorant, insulting racist woman actually did the black guy a solid by refusing to let him into her house based on the color of his skin. It saved him from some heavy lifting. Man, if only every delivery refused to allow him into their home because he was black, it would be like hitting the lottery! People are looking at this all wrong, he isn't the victim of racism from some ignorant bigot, he is the beneficiary! :rolleyes:

lol, one of the unintentionally funnier posts i have read on Sherdog. Sad in reality, but surface level funny!
Not as funny as making strawmen.

He was only 'victimized' (and I use your term loosely) in being denied entry into a racist's personal residence. But hey, continue pretending like I support the old lady. You seem to like the indignation you get from it.

I've been a manager for many years. I would never let someone demean an employee of mine like that for any reason. I actually exited a business relationship due to something similar years back.

I would have cancelled the sale and refunded her the money and told her to take her business elsewhere.

Back