With all the free content now,how good could untrained guys get just with instructionals?

I'm a new BJJ black belt and here's my POV. Self-directed training is superior to traditional class training. The student, after having learned the basics (shrimping, positional hierarchy, basic movements) can identify his/her deficiencies better than anyone else. Only the student is present in every roll he/she is in. Only the student knows where they keep getting crushed or having a hard time.

So how does it help the student if the gym they go to has 2-4 different instructors throughout the week, all teaching different things, NONE of which identify the student's deficient areas?

I've really been a fan of directing my own training for the past year via BJJFanatics instructionals. My escapes sucked, so I've been studying Lachlan Giles escapes series and now my escapes are WAY better. I had zero back attack game so I downloaded Danaher's back attack system directly into my stupid brain by drilling and practicing with a friends 2x/week for 2 months.

That's how I believe people can get good at BJJ faster: directing their own training, filling in the gaps and improving their weakest areas, consistently, all year-long.

Oh definitely, but that self guided training works best when one already has a base to build on and can lab / field drill and test it at a gym as well.

Oh definitely, but that self guided training works best when one already has a base to build on and can lab / field drill and test it at a gym as well.

That's why I said "after having learned the basics".

If you paid attention, knowledge wise you'd get ok but IMO they'd miss on the other half which is about timing and reactions.

When I don't train the first thing that goes is the timing and muscle memory

Yes, you wold need a couple of training partners, you’ll never be any good unless you train with good people, good people normally are found at gyms.
One *good* training partner is enough to improve A fuckton.

If you have a patner willing to live roll, you can get ok. Grappling is a lot about neuromuscular memory, how to balance and use your weight.

I visited a Gracie Garage once, I thought the level was decent. For sure they can defend themselves against someone who is not initiated. I compared the level to a newly opened academy with blue belts being the average level of experience.

One *good* training partner is enough to improve A fuckton.
It is true, but sometimes it is also good to just get used to the feel of different bodies. Although, between different bodies and a single partner who is going to react to your offense and defense in a way that helps build your skills, I'll take that single partner any day.

You can be a Blue Belt in Gracie.

It is true, but sometimes it is also good to just get used to
It is true, but sometimes it is also good to just get used to the feel of different bodies. Although, between different bodies and a single partner who is going to react to your offense and defense in a way that helps build your skills, I'll take that single partner any day.
Sure having a different set of reactions and body types helps a lot too. OTOH doing positional sparring against someone who has developed skills in blocking your game at forces you to actually force your way in without the element of surprise has a lot of value even if you have a whole bunch of varied training partners.

We all like to pretend that martials arts are some magical thing that you can only learn from a master, when in reality most of those masters where probably a guy who trained alot.

We have patent laws because people can reverse engineer pharmaceuticals but you will try to convince me that i can't get good at grappling from watching a dvd and trying it on my buddies.

Yes having someone there to point out your flaws is a the best option but it's not the only option.

We all like to pretend that martials arts are some magical thing that you can only learn from a master, when in reality most of those masters where probably a guy who trained alot.

We have patent laws because people can reverse engineer pharmaceuticals but you will try to convince me that i can't get good at grappling from watching a dvd and trying it on my buddies.

Yes having someone there to point out your flaws is a the best option but it's not the only option.
Good points.

A good instructor is more than a collection of techniques, he guides your development, talks to you when you are slumping, forces you to be uncomfortable, ect. A good instructor is probably more guide than an encyclopedia.

Most importantly he sets the culture for the gym and you.

We have patent laws because people can reverse engineer pharmaceuticals but you will try to convince me that i can't get good at grappling from watching a dvd and trying it on my
The bigger problem is not the lack of instructors but the lack of grappling ability of your buddy.

Lets say some guys rolling in a garage all with no experience.
Maybe attending and open mat once in a long while but having no formal real life teacher or being a part of any academy.

If you attend open mat once a month, pretty decent IMO. Not great, but decent, for sure. Even more if you really focus.

As a beginner you will improve, you probably wont advance much beyond beginner if you never roll with someone with real training.
I met guys like that good for white belts, stuck at a glass ceiling with many bad habits to unlearn.

A good white or blue belt level maybe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back