Win like Bautista or lose like Roundtree?

jansta

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So you’re an up and coming fighter and see a title shot in 3 possibly 4 fights. Do you:

1) lay it out on the line, eat fire and give fire but go out on your shield? Risking possible long term injury but securing a $50k fight bonus and legions of fans on sherdog?

2) or do you use your obvious wrestling advantage and hold your opponent on the cage and secure the safe win and preserve your title aspirations? Live to fight another day?

You could argue that Bautista took a huge risk in employing that wrestling game plan, both in terms of in the cage (because implementing a wrestling game against maybe the best TDD of all time is not easy and could/should have lost him the fight) and with the organization (the people signing his pay and booking the fights will assuredly be disappointed in that performance).

this should cut bautista. the ufc should get rid of all fighters who are afraid to fight
They should cut Merab and Val too. This point hugging stalling bs has to stop, it's disgusting and not fighting at all. How the hell do you get rewarded for anti fighting in a FIGHT is beyond me. It's like allowing an NBA player to hold the ball for 4 qrters and hand the team the win if the did this, it's ridiculous and should actually get points taken.

I you have the toolset to beat your opponent, why not utilize it?

The notion that you've got to be entertaining while winning is a lame one. Just win the fucking fight. That's what fighting is actually about.

It used to be so, but in recent years unless you bring in the crowd, being boring despite winning gets you no favor from UFC.

But people here does lump grappling heavy fighters together with legit wall and staller and lay and prayers which I disagree.

To me, GSP, Khabib, Islam were not boring. They grapple fuck their opponents but is always advancing in position doing damage.

People like Jon Fitch grapple fuck his opponents too but is legit lay and pray, Bautista and Merab way of winning Aldo is wall and stall. Did basically nothing. No GNP, no punches.

EDIT:
I thought Merab performance against Sean was decent though.

So it’s either get gifted a decision and the fans hate you or take extreme damage, lose, and win some respect

That’s a rock and a hard place tbh

As a fan, lose like Rountree.
As someone who does this for a living, win like Bautista.

You got to remember that Bautista is a nobody. To get his as beat in style, being a warrior and all, wouldn't make him advance in his career.

Reactions: DLX
All the keyboard warriors here are internet tough guys, but I'm taking the business decision. You get win money and don't have to worry about this fight making you a retard later on in life. It's not even a question.

The UFC rewarded Khalils violence and hunger with a title shot. He turned that title shot into one of the best LHW title fights in history.

Bautista on the other hand was given the opportunity to fight a legend in the twilight of his career and self admittedly turned in a bland point fight with zero damage done. It’s why Bautista will always be a middle of the pack jobber who’ll eventually get cut from the UFC and blame everyone but himself as to why he made no money or achieved anything.

MMA is better with Khalil. Bautista is nothing but fluff on the roster.

Lose like Khalil.

Bautista will probably never get another high profile opponent and UFC will drop him like a bad habit as soon as he slips up.

Rountree just solidified his spot on the roster for years to come and will have more fans after this loss than ever before.

All the keyboard warriors here are internet tough guys, but I'm taking the business decision. You get win money and don't have to worry about this fight making you a retard later on in life. It's not even a question.
Maybe if you're a short sighted simpleton who only thinks about today.

In the long run Khalil has opened up more opportunities for himself with that loss than Mario did with that "win".

Mario earned more hate than any new fans

I know I never want to see the guy fight again

Didn’t know much about him before last night, now I want to completely forget about him

So you’re an up and coming fighter and see a title shot in 3 possibly 4 fights. Do you:

1) lay it out on the line, eat fire and give fire but go out on your shield? Risking possible long term injury but securing a $50k fight bonus and legions of fans on sherdog?

2) or do you use your obvious wrestling advantage and hold your opponent on the cage and secure the safe win and preserve your title aspirations? Live to fight another day?
Yea I'd rather get my hand raised, I don't care how boring I have to fight.

I don't blame Bautista. I blame the scoring criteria and the ref. If the judging allows for you to leg hump your way to victory, and you're capable of doing so, it makes the most sense to do it.

Sure the fans will hate it, but fuck the fans. They won't be there when you get cut from the UFC after getting brutally KO'd and relegated back to the regional circuit making 10k a fight before taxes. Getting the win is most important. Once you improve your skills more within the company, the fans will come around.

Last edited:
Rountree ia a warrior an a guy i love watching. But that fight to survive as long as he did took years off his cerebral life maybe a decade or more.

Bautista is just shameful to make a main card agsinst a legend an fight like that . Never want to see that dude fight agsin.

short term win for super mario because he gets his win bonus, but ufc matchmakers are going to hate him now.
I choose mario because i dont want to get punch or kick by alex lol.. also if bautista comes back next fight and has an exciting performance.. people will forget

Mario gonna have to put in work the get fans on his side after somethin like that.

Rountree's heart is unbelievable. There were hits that I thought would make him fall but he would throw back instead, and even land

Back