Will GSP follow Condits handbook and frustrate Nicks standup with STICK KICK AND MOVE

King Crab

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I was just thinking of how everyone now days seems to realize Nicks achilles heel and if he himself has made adjustments to his game to compensate for that. GSP doesn't look stupid and always looks to get a win without incurring any injuries. If he does his homework it would stand to say the best strategy would be to mimic to some degree Carlos Condit's strat of STICK, KICK and MOVE.

I don't see Diaz having the speed/strength to successfully take GSP down at least right away so that leaves stand up exchanges. It will be a good fight no matter what but I am worried that Nick will get pissed off with GSP not wanting a straight up exchange war , start his shit talking bravado and lose his focus on winning.

Thoughts on how Diaz can pull out a win against GSP if he goes up against someone throwing combos, stalling and moving away out of Nicks range?

Nah, GSP always pushes the action and is the aggressor. It'll look more like Bendo vs Nate than Condit vs Nick.

It's gonna be a beautiful dominant performance by GSP. GSP 50-45

No, because GSP has something that Condit lacks: an irresistible power double leg and crushing top game. He also possesses a stiffer jab and a better ability to close distance with his striking, which I am sure we will see at times to supplement his wrestling.

Diaz is in over his head, I don't think his chances are good at all.

a few combinations, Takedown, stay in the safety of the guard position, get up, repeat.

dont get yourself in danger George

no flaming, just his gameplan

Nah, GSP always pushes the action and is the aggressor. It'll look more like Bendo vs Nate than Condit vs Nick.

It's gonna be a beautiful dominant performance by GSP. GSP 50-45

I seriously have my doubts that GSP is going to run through Nick like Bendo/Nate....it's possible but would highly disappoint.

Nick is a veteran, has good takedown def and could definately catch GSP with a solid cross in the process. GSP imo won't be so aggressive but maybe I am wrong... remember he did get knocked on his ass the last fight and almost lost to Condit by getting sloppy.

I think GSP will win this one through his wrestling and top game jiu jitsu. The fact is Nick's greatest weakness is GSP's greatest strength

He'll frustrate him because he's the opposite of the guys that Nick beat to apparently become a top contender. GSP has top level wrestling(props to the one Diaz brother who constantly stepped up to face good wrestlers). GSP is not over the hill, mediocre, one dimensional or scott smith. Props again to the one Diaz brother who actually has faced top fighters for years now and who takes losses like a man.

I've seen so many people now assume Nate is worse then Nick, they're not that similar, the Bendo fight means nothing, Nick has done more or whatever.

The only reason some think Nick is better is because he hasn't fought the level of comp Nate has to earn his title shot. He hasn't put himself out there and taken bad match-ups like the better younger more proven Diaz brother has. Nate constantly fought top-10 fighters and guys with wrestling. He's most liekly better then his older brother. I remember when everyone was sure Diaz-CC would like Nate-Cowboy. Yet now they don't assume Nick-GSP will look like Bendo-Nate. For some reason they give the lesser Diaz, Nick the benefit of the doubt.

a few combinations, Takedown, stay in the safety of the guard position, get up, repeat.

Lol, as if GSP is going to treat Nick Diaz's guard as a safe position...

Jab him lots followed by a couple of leg kicks. Once Nick starts to counter he'll either take him down or do a couple of lazy shoots to make Nick think he'll go for the takedown. Regardless lots of level changing. Against Shields he just jabbed the shit out of him because there was no threat standing so it made sense not to take him down. Not sure if that will be the case with Diaz though. If Diaz can't counter, and I don't think he can because his footwork is too slow, and the fight stays standing he'll get cut to ribbons by GSP's jabs and superman punches. Who knows, maybe he'll try some of Bendo's leg jabs (via Bruce LeeRoy).

No, because GSP has something that Condit lacks: an irresistible power double leg and crushing top game. He also possesses a stiffer jab and a better ability to close distance with his striking, which I am sure we will see at times to supplement his wrestling.

Diaz is in over his head, I don't think his chances are good at all.

I agree that nick might be over his head, we will see... But, GSP is a fool if he stays on the ground with Nick.

He doesn't need to follow anyone's handbook. Gsp has his own style and it'll be more than good enough to dominate Diaz with.

Nick hasn't fought a wrestler in years, GSP takes him down whenever he wants, I think GSP will be to strong and aware of Nicks abilities to get caught in a sub.

I agree that Nick's guard isn't a completely safe place to be, as Nick is a well versed black belt in BJJ, but only an idiot would say that GSP can't outgrapple him on the ground. GSP has never been subbed while on top, and Nick has had problems with strong wrestlers in the past. Standing, GSP is going to stick his jab and move out of counter range like he did against Koscheck. On the ground, it will most likely be GSP controlling and slamming down those elbows.

Depending on which Nick shows up and his game plan. It could be a great fight. Nicks a great puncher and GSP's chin is definitely suspect (MATT SERRA). GSP's game plan to win, will be take him down, lay on top of him and beat him up for the win!

Lol, as if GSP is going to treat Nick Diaz's guard as a safe position...

When is the last time Nick submitted someone from guard? He isn't subbing GSP who was in zero danger from Penn's guard. I think St Pierre is going to win pretty dominantly and I'm a Diaz fan. He is pretty much the prototype worst matchup possible for Nick.

When is the last time Nick submitted someone from guard?

2011, and it was a blackbelt.

5.gif

GSP will be safe and sound in Diaz's guard. His top-control and combination of wrestling and BJJ is way too good at this point to be caught in a sub while on top. He made Penn and Fitch's guards look like those of rank amateurs and while Diaz is very good and very active off his back, he's not leaps and bounds better than those two.

Nick's only chance is to hurt Georges standing up but I don't see that happening.

A relatively easy 50-45 for GSP, and that's only because Nick is incredibly difficult to put away.

Enjoy the way Nick Diaz fights. That said, GSP is so stylistically bad for Diaz it is laughable. Anything is possible in MMA and no doubt Diaz will but up a good fight but GSP and his wrestling/top game alone crush Diaz. GSP is no slouch standing up either and will give him fits.

I hope Diaz doesn't have a tantrum, remains mentally strong and comes back from the L because there are SO MANY good fights for him after GSP.

Then he wouldn't even fight if this were the case. Its just he fights to his opponents weakness, which is smart.

GSP will be able to do whatever he wants in this fight. He's better than anyone at WW at everything, except maybe Maia. His JJ is just sick

Back