• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wilder vs Bellew

Stiverne, Duhaupas, Arreola, and Molina stop him. Scott, Washington, and Szipilka clearly outbox him (Szipilka and maybe Washington might stop him, as well). It's not because these are particularly good fighters (Stiverne is decent, the rest are mediocre to poor), it's that Bellew really isn't very good. Wilder is clearly better at HW than Bellew was at LHW.

Stiverne, Duhaupas, Arreola, and Molina stop him. Scott, Washington, and Szipilka clearly outbox him (Szipilka and maybe Washington might stop him, as well). It's not because these are particularly good fighters (Stiverne is decent, the rest are mediocre to poor), it's that Bellew really isn't very good. Wilder is clearly better at HW than Bellew was at LHW.

Nah, that's rubbish. Bellew has far better boxing skills than most of those names and none of them punch harder than David Haye who couldn't hurt Bellew. So no, a guy like Duhupaus isn't stopping Bellew.

Tony wasn't really a LHW, he's a cruiserweight and probably top 3 in the world. Wilder would win bit he'd beat the vast majority of Wilders opposition.

Suits Wilder, Bellew is going to cash out on the biggest possible HW payday he can get. We all know the top half dozen HWs beat him convincingly and Wilder loves an easy fight.

He really doesn't have much of one. Since when do people suddenly have a high opinion of Tony Bellew?
Its not Bellew. Its the same thing you see with everyone trashing Canelo. There's someone that hipster fans like better so everyone else is trash.

Nah, that's rubbish. Bellew has far better boxing skills than most of those names and none of them punch harder than David Haye who couldn't hurt Bellew. So no, a guy like Duhupaus isn't stopping Bellew.

Tony wasn't really a LHW, he's a cruiserweight and probably top 3 in the world. Wilder would win bit he'd beat the vast majority of Wilders opposition.

What are you basing any of that on? If Haye was anywhere near healthy and in his prime, he'd KO Bellew easily. LHW is a good division, that's why he struggled there. Again, since when is Bellew looked at as a particularly good fighter? I don't recall people considering him this great win when Stevenson destroyed him.

I think a fight with Joshua would be a significantly bigger payday for Bellew, I think that he'd rather go that route.

What are you basing any of that on? If Haye was anywhere near healthy and in his prime, he'd KO Bellew easily. LHW is a good division, that's why he struggled there. Again, since when is Bellew looked at as a particularly good fighter? I don't recall people considering him this great win when Stevenson destroyed him.

Haye was healthy in the first 5 rounds of the fight and landed plenty of power punches that didn't hurt Bellew. Even a past prime Haye hits waaay harder than the likes of Duhupaus etc and all the guys you are assuming would KO Tony. He showed has very good boxing skills agi

He struggled against the number one man of the division yeah, whilst also being a natural cruiserweight who looked like skeletor on the scales. Do you really think Stevenson punches harder than Haye? You don't suddenly develop the chin to take shots from cruiserweights and a Heavyweight who hits as hard as Haye unless you've been diminishing your self. And that would make sense seeing as Bellew was a Heavyweight all of his amateur carrear and is about as bag as any cruiserweight.

Bellew is one of the top 3 cruisers in the world, how is that not a particular good fighter? He's had many more good nights than bad nights and since moving to his natural weightclass he's picked up a belt and defended it then, moved up and beat the HW no one wanted to fight. He's a competent world class fighter.

There's no shame in losing to Stevenson at your absolute peak, never mind when you're weight drained. so I don't really see that as a valid reason why punch bag heavyweights would KO him.

Haye was healthy in the first 5 rounds of the fight and landed plenty of power punches that didn't hurt Bellew. Even a past prime Haye hits waaay harder than the likes of Duhupaus etc and all the guys you are assuming would KO Tony. He showed has very good boxing skills agi

He struggled against the number one man of the division yeah, whilst also being a natural cruiserweight who looked like skeletor on the scales. Do you really think Stevenson punches harder than Haye? You don't suddenly develop the chin to take shots from cruiserweights and a Heavyweight who hits as hard as Haye unless you've been diminishing your self. And that would make sense seeing as Bellew was a Heavyweight all of his amateur carrear and is about as bag as any cruiserweight.

Bellew is one of the top 3 cruisers in the world, how is that not a particular good fighter? He's had many more good nights than bad nights and since moving to his natural weightclass he's picked up a belt and defended it then, moved up and beat the HW no one wanted to fight. He's a competent world class fighter.

There's no shame in losing to Stevenson at your absolute peak, never mind when you're weight drained. so I don't really see that as a valid reason why punch bag heavyweights would KO him.

Wins over Makabu (who almost KO'd him), Masternak, and Flores have convinced you he's a top 3 CW in the world? Again, I'm not saying that Wilder's opposition is good, I'm saying that Bellew isn't and that he'd have a very good chance of getting stopped by a lot of mediocre HWs. Genuinely good LHWs (like Kovalev, Ward, and Beterbiev) could all have some success at HW (and all easily be elite at CW), but they're all clearly better than someone like Tony Bellew.

Wins over Makabu (who almost KO'd him), Masternak, and Flores have convinced you he's a top 3 CW in the world? Again, I'm not saying that Wilder's opposition is good, I'm saying that Bellew isn't and that he'd have a very good chance of getting stopped by a lot of mediocre HWs. Genuinely good LHWs (like Kovalev, Ward, and Beterbiev) could all have some success at HW (and all easily be elite at CW), but they're all clearly better than someone like Tony Bellew.

Makabu dropped him once, he was about as nearly KO'd as Andre Ward was against Kovalev. The CW isn't exactly deep and he holds a belt that he's defended. There's 1 or 2 guys that I would favour to beat him but I wouldn't back anyone outside of the top 5 to beat Bellew, that suggests hes at minimum top 5.

This is't really anything to do with Wilder, he'd take Tony's head off. I just strongly disagree with the idea that the guys on Wilder's resume would murder Bellew, even a guy like Stiverne would have a good fight with Bellew at minimum, it wouldn't be no murder, he could end up boxing circles around guys like that. The guys you mentioned like Duhuapus, Molina, Washington etc would all be underdogs against Bellew imo, and I doubt any of them murder him.

As you said, the top light heavyweights could probably step up and beat guys Wilder and Joshua have been fighting, it's not a stretch to suggest a big world class cruiserweight like Bellew couldn't do the same, especially after he showed he can take top level heavyweight power.

Makabu dropped him once, he was about as nearly KO'd as Andre Ward was against Kovalev. The CW isn't exactly deep and he holds a belt that he's defended. There's 1 or 2 guys that I would favour to beat him but I wouldn't back anyone outside of the top 5 to beat Bellew, that suggests hes at minimum top 5.

This is't really anything to do with Wilder, he'd take Tony's head off. I just strongly disagree with the idea that the guys on Wilder's resume would murder Bellew, even a guy like Stiverne would have a good fight with Bellew at minimum, it wouldn't be no murder, he could end up boxing circles around guys like that. The guys you mentioned like Duhuapus, Molina, Washington etc would all be underdogs against Bellew imo, and I doubt any of them murder him.

As you said, the top light heavyweights could probably step up and beat guys Wilder and Joshua have been fighting, it's not a stretch to suggest a big world class cruiserweight like Bellew couldn't do the same, especially after he showed he can take top level heavyweight power.

If Bellew shows himself to be a genuine top 3 CW, then I'd probably agree he walks through essentially all of Wilder's opposition minus a few guys, but I'm not convinced he's that good at CW. Makabu, while being a big puncher, only has a comeback win over Mchunu (someone who has shown poor durability and stamina) to his name, and Flores and Masternak are not relevant fighters. Bellew is a decent puncher with decent boxing ability. I don't see him as the right style of fighter (with the right amount of talent) to have success against significantly bigger men regardless of their shortcomings.

All these people saying Bellew could beat Wilder are the same people who will call Bellew a garbage opponent after Wilder breaks his face.

Same shit that happened with Stiverne.

I think a fight with Joshua would be a significantly bigger payday for Bellew, I think that he'd rather go that route.
I don't think so being as Bellew was literally like the first guy to jump over the ropes and grab AJ after the Klitchko win. He seemed happier and more excited than AJ. Seems like they may be too close of friends to fight for no reason.

Plus Wilder really needs a legit heavyweight opponent.
Haye's achlies was torn before the fight. That's an injury to where you can't even walk on or put any weight on that entire leg. Its like having your leg amputated from the knee down. From your knee down it feels like you have a dead fish for a leg. If you put any weight on your instep, balls of your feet, or toes your leg instantly collapses and gives out. Not to mention the level 10 pain.Yet he struggled to get a one legged,rusty, old Haye out of there.

I don't like hearing Bellew speak. Wilder by KO.

Back