Wide Diversity Gap Among Top-Grossing Films

Are you playing dumb?:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CowboyCop

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ToBeLawfulOrGood

In a nutshell, he represents the conservative ideal and is presented as a contrast to Jenny, who represents a liberal seen through conservative eyes and whose life is a disaster.

The National Review listed it as the fourth best conservative of the past quarter century in 2009!

hi Jack, you piece of shit (no offense as usual, just trying to keep up with you on the insulting),

cop films regularly feature men who take the law in their own hands, sure, particularly if you're going to reference the 1970s, but even then, they're usually portrayed as rebelling against incompetent superiors - superiors who are often breaking the law themselves.

"Magnum Force" is a pretty good example of this

I didn't see it that way, I guess is all I can say to that. Remember that picture with the white horse and the black horse? I think the white horse represents Forrest, and the black horse is Jenny.

I don't remember the horses.

Such is art, Jack. We all get something different from it.

52cfa562021c4c144f132c85c40a1ec19d1e1fedb4dc0764ed06e137d1ae826c.jpg

hi Jack, you piece of shit (no offense as usual, just trying to keep up with you on the insulting),

cop films regularly feature men who take the law in their own hands, sure, particularly if you're going to reference the 1970s, but even then, they're usually portrayed as rebelling against incompetent superiors - superiors who are often breaking the law themselves.

"Magnum Force" is a pretty good example of this

Is this silliness even worth responding to? I guess I can just wait for Anung to slap you on the back for defending the honor of that shitty movie.

I believe it was in Forrest's house (haven't seen the movie in a long time). There's a painting of two horses. I remember snorting at the heavy-handed symbolism. They lived parallel lives, but he took the correct, conservative path, and she became a dirty hippie and it led to her ruin, despite him being there to protect her from herself all the time (and her not appreciating it).

But, yeah, I guess everyone's getting something different from it.

Even though it may have a conservative message, can't we enjoy films for themselves? Does a film have to match with our political agendas to be enjoyable?

I think revenge movies are fun, and cop movies of course have to have characters that are over the top to make it interesting. Can you imagine a movie called "You Have the Right to an Attorney" with a cop that goes by the book the whole time?

I'm sure many Liberals enjoy cop films and revenge films, all taking them for what they are, fantasy and entertainment.

Even though it may have a conservative message, can't we enjoy films for themselves? Does a film have to match with our political agendas to be enjoyable?

No a film can be conservative and still good (Ghostbusters, Apocalypse Now, etc.). But Forrest Gump is both conservative and shitty, IMO.

Michael Clarke Duncan was cast as The Kingpin.

Michael
Clarke
Duncan

Is this silliness even worth responding to? I guess I can just wait for Anung to slap you on the back for defending the honor of that shitty movie.

heya there Jack,

you don't have anything to say, Jack, and i think that's good of you to recognize. stick with the things you know, friend.

a man's gotta know his limitations.

enjoy the debates tonight!

- IGIT

No a film can be conservative and still good (Ghostbusters, Apocalypse Now, etc.). But Forrest Gump is both conservative and shitty, IMO.

Oh, well then that's fair enough. I consider myself to be on the left end of the spectrum and enjoyed those as well. What did you think of No Country for Old Men?

The straight blockbusters is evened out by having a disproportionate amount on TV.

Most movies are cheesy action movies so I'm not surprised with half those stats.

I think revenge movies are fun, and cop movies of course have to have characters that are over the top to make it interesting. Can you imagine a movie called "You Have the Right to an Attorney" with a cop that goes by the book the whole time?

I'm sure many Liberals enjoy cop films and revenge films, all taking them for what they are, fantasy and entertainment.

hi Dayam1984,

revenge movies are great fun, for certain. some cop movies are good

The straight blockbusters is evened out by having a disproportionate amount on TV.

Most movies are cheesy action movies so I'm not surprised with half those stats.

hi Lead Salad, long time no speak,

i'd probably agree with you there.

i like Woody Allen movies

is revenge something that liberals shy away from and only conservatives yearn for?

- IGIT

I don't think so. I think it's a universal human experience to root for the guy (or woman) who has been wronged so that he or she can get their revenge on evil doers.

Totally. You could look at that and come up with two interpretations:

1) Mexico, Latin America, etc., simply prefer watching white people do stuff. Just because they do. It's probably natural or genetic.

2) Mexico, Latin America, etc., have been subject to worldwide cultural imperialism by the West. As the most powerful economic force in the world, it also exports and imposes its cultural view- especially when it comes to film.

I'm inclined to go with #2. And this is all the more reason why it's important that US-made films feature more diversity, roles that are more fair, etc.

what is this "cultural imperialism" again, its hard to keep up with libbies mumbo jumbo.

America make the best movies, TV shows and has the best entertainer in the world.( for example Game of Thrones Nuff said)

its not US fault that others countries sucks at making their own movies, or no matter how they try they can't even come close to be as good as America.

so its not American producer jobs to make their movies or shows more diversity since other countries cannot make anything that even 1/10 as good as common US movies.

if those others countries want movies that represent them, then they can make it themselves, but their own people won't watch, why ? because they are not as good.

I don't think so. I think it's a universal human experience to root for the guy (or woman) who has been wronged so that he or she can get their revenge on evil doers.

heya Dayam1984,

yep.

agreed.

- IGIT

what is this "cultural imperialism" again, its hard to keep up with libbies mumbo jumbo.

America make the best movies, TV shows and has the best entertainer in the world.( for example Game of Thrones Nuff said)

its not US fault that others countries sucks at making their own movies, or no matter how they try they can't even come close to be as good as America.

so its not American producer jobs to make their movies or shows more diversity since other countries cannot make anything that even 1/10 as good as common US movies.

if those others countries want movies that represent them, then they can make it themselves, but their own people won't watch, why ? because they are not as good.

It's not that other countries suck at making their own movies in general, they just can't compete at making movies aimed for people in iq range of 85-115, which is majority of population. I'm not trying to say these people are stupid, they just generally don't have a habit of analyzing and thinking about stuff, they prefer to be passive. And what kind of films are great for that kind of demographics? Big, loud action movies with lots of cgi and attractive actors. And those movies are expensive and hard to make, so nobody tries to compete with holywood.

There are plenty of European movies with great stories and directing, but most people won't find them entertaining.

a man's gotta know his limitations.

Every Clint Eastwood movie must be conservative. Even those ape movies. Yeah, he got the animal laid, but the living conditions were deplorable. Dafuq is PETA when you need 'em?

Fuck that, why does it HAS to be diverse?

If it's a good movie, I'll watch it.

Oh, well then that's fair enough. I consider myself to be on the left end of the spectrum and enjoyed those as well. What did you think of No Country for Old Men?

Liked it a lot. Huge Coen Brothers fan here. I didn't see the conservative message in it, but maybe I missed it. Frequently, the Coens have a kind of defeatist liberal message, which I don't necessarily like, but I still love their work.

It's not that other countries suck at making their own movies in general, they just can't compete at making movies aimed for people in iq range of 85-115, which is majority of population. I'm not trying to say these people are stupid, they just generally don't have a habit of analyzing and thinking about stuff, they prefer to be passive. And what kind of films are great for that kind of demographics? Big, loud action movies with lots of cgi and attractive actors. And those movies are expensive and hard to make, so nobody tries to compete with holywood.

There are plenty of European movies with great stories and directing, but most people won't find them entertaining.

there are tons of Hollywood movie that require IQ higher than that, they also smash those European movies.

and American TV shows mostly have great stories and require intelligence to understand them, and people mostly watch American TV show.

America also dominate reality TV show.

Art is art. If you're a writer or a director or a producer, you've got the right to make whatever kind of film you want, and you're not under any obligation to try to change the world or do anything but try to make the movie you want to make.

My favorite movie is Patton though, which is essentially an a-historic piece of propaganda, so I guess that makes me a ghost-white oppression machine.

Fuck it tho. Movies is movies. Art is art.

Back