Wide Diversity Gap Among Top-Grossing Films

I do applaud Hollywood for James Shigeta RIP - best know for Die Hard (President of Nakatomi Plaza) - for playing a lead young straight male who happens to be Asian back in the late 50's/early 60's short stretch (relegated to bit roles later on). That was ahead of its time and progressive.

The reality is that women won't achieve perfect equality in the business world until they strive to equal men in entrepreneurship. Complaining about men not hiring enough women will persist until women take control and just start their own businesses, which, obviously, would naturally result in more female executives as well. If there's one important thing Chinese women can teach females in the West, it's entrepreneurship. Half of the world's self-made female billionaires are in China.

That sucks! Can’t even go to the movies without being triggered by too much whiteness.

About 73% of the US is white.

Why is it a probably that 73% of movies are white. If directors put on blindfolds and randomly selected people, that is about the number you'd expect. If actually is reflective of no bias, if anything.

They didn't give percentages for the gays, so we can't say anything about that. Gays make up only about 1% of people, so you expect about 99 straights per gay if Hollywood is randomly making characters. Is that about they saw?

Last edited:
So why don't they make a movie about a gay black superhero and see how many tickets it sells

As for conservative-themed movies, there's TONS.

Pretty much every revenge and vigilante movie. Swift execution of wrongdoers is a long-held right-wing fantasy. In fact, most crime movies are conservative. The irrational fear (since crime rates are at all-time lows) people have about the bad guys coming to get them is probably fueled in part by the huge number of movies about this.

Most superhero movies. Especially the Batman and Superman ones. These have a vigilante themes, too.

Most war movies. They focus on individuals' overcoming stuff, seldom about the government's aggression. And ALWAYS from the glorious and honorable American military's point of view.

heya Possum,

if you're talking about the 1970s and earlier, maybe

Last edited:
As for conservative-themed movies, there's TONS.

Pretty much every revenge and vigilante movie. Swift execution of wrongdoers is a long-held right-wing fantasy. In fact, most crime movies are conservative. The irrational fear (since crime rates are at all-time lows) people have about the bad guys coming to get them is probably fueled in part by the huge number of movies about this.

Most superhero movies. Especially the Batman and Superman ones. These have a vigilante themes, too.

Most war movies. They focus on individuals' overcoming stuff, seldom about the government's aggression. And ALWAYS from the glorious and honorable American military's point of view.

It's not just vigilantes. Pretty much all cop movies suggest that things like respecting the law and the civil rights of suspects are for pussies.

Lots of other movies are conservative, too. Forrest Gump, most Adam Sandler movies, Mel Gibson movies--pretty much any movie that sucks has a conservative message.

Funny to see IGIT still pretending to be a liberal while again arguing on behalf of the right.

It's not just vigilantes. Pretty much all cop movies suggest that things like respecting the law and the civil rights of suspects are for pussies.

Lots of other movies are conservative, too. Forrest Gump, most Adam Sandler movies, Mel Gibson movies--pretty much any movie that sucks has a conservative message.

hi Jack,

what cop movies are you referring to?

i'm generally thinking of movies made within the last 20 or 30 years. i have to admit, i generally don't go to see that sort of film

Last edited:

Funny to see IGIT still pretending to be a liberal while again arguing on behalf of the right.

Watch Apocalypto and tell me Mel Gibson movies suck.:eek::eek::eek:

men > women

what else is new?

WTH? The majority of top grossing films are action flicks. Although I seem to remember that Julie Newmar - to wong chu with love and the birdcage did well when they released; typically we aren't going to spend money to watch a movie about drag queens daily lives - we get that for free on reality tv.

i'm not surprised that the highest-grossing films are action films. the easier it is to understand a movie, the more popular it's going to be. and people simply like seeing shit blow up.

Straight white males are a serious problem in today's society.

What should we do?

Yea but they don't let that get in the way of making money.

Liam-Neeson-natasha-richardson-ftr1.jpg

This. The only colour Hollywood cares about is Green. :icon_twis

hi Jack,

what cop movies are you referring to?

Are you playing dumb?:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CowboyCop

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ToBeLawfulOrGood

also, how is "Forrest Gump" seen as political or conservative? i saw it as a politically agnostic movie, as seen through the eyes of the narrator - who lacked the ability to see right or left. if you saw that movie as piece of conservatism, i think there's something wrong with you, Jack.

In a nutshell, he represents the conservative ideal and is presented as a contrast to Jenny, who represents a liberal seen through conservative eyes and whose life is a disaster.

The National Review listed it as the fourth best conservative of the past quarter century in 2009!

More like 65%, tops.

And among the movie-watching public (younger) it's probably close to 50%.

What should be a scandal is the representation of Latinos. 16% of the population, 20% of the young population and almost completely missing from big productions. When they do appear it's extremely small roles and almost always as criminals or some sort of wrongdoers.

Even when they're good guys they're poor and uneducated.

i'm guessing that this is a reflection on what most americans think of hispanics. as an american of hispanic-descent myself, i'm not too worried. as latinos continue to move up the proverbial, "ladder" in society, this image will go away.

it's the image of the unskilled, undocumented worker, that prevails. but it will change in time.

Yeah, most people don't. And that's a sign of the best type of indoctrination and propaganda: when you don't notice and/or care because it's SO natural.

But this is constantly changing. A lot of stuff from early 20th century films are not acceptable to us now, though they were seen as totally normal to most audiences then. They also didn't see a problem with Bugs Bunny running away from black cannibals or whatever.

Now, most find that stuff uncomfortable or embarrassing.

In the 60s and 70s, diversity in casting was complete non-issue. Now it's brought up more and more. And this is good. Hollywood profits off worldwide audiences, maybe it's time their product reflected worldwide people.

lol, are you serious with this bs?

Are you playing dumb?:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CowboyCop

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ToBeLawfulOrGood

In a nutshell, he represents the conservative ideal and is presented as a contrast to Jenny, who represents a liberal seen through conservative eyes and whose life is a disaster.

The National Review listed it as the fourth best conservative of the past quarter century in 2009!

I always thought Lieutenant Dan was the contrast to Jenny. He was the gung ho pro-war vet, and she was the anti-war hippy. Both began as an extreme form of themselves, and evened out by the end of the movie. Her ending was obviously more tragic.

Forrest seemed neutral.

I always thought Lieutenant Dan was the contrast to Jenny. He was the gung ho pro-war vet, and she was the anti-war hippy. Both began as an extreme form of themselves, and evened out by the end of the movie. Her ending was obviously more tragic.

Forrest seemed neutral.

I didn't see it that way, I guess is all I can say to that. Remember that picture with the white horse and the black horse? I think the white horse represents Forrest, and the black horse is Jenny.

Back