Wide Diversity Gap Among Top-Grossing Films

No we don't.

Ok, ese.

ghpyz36.jpg

White majorty society watching movies about White characters???!!!

Oh the horror !

Movies are made to the demographic that spends the most cash in cinema.

Economics is racist now...

So there are NO right wing examples in any of those movies? It's all partisan left? Brainwashed.

hi Lord Palis,

the protagonists are usually espousing a left leaning point of view, Lord Palis

I find this stuff largely irrelevant. However, I wouldn't mind seeing more Asians in non-typecasted roles.

hi again Possum,

oh, yeah…i'd go with #2, of course.

i don't think non-white people around the planet are actually genetically predisposed to want to see white actors in major films…its just what they're used to.

the thing is i'm not white, and i don't feel especially marginalized when i see what i see on the big screen. i mean, i don't think its an issue. i'm a middle aged asian guy and go to the movies a great deal…and if Wonder Woman turned out to be a size 16, 50 year old Korean woman, i'd turn to my girlfriend and say, "what the fuck is that?".

likewise, if all the indigenous blue aliens in the movie Avatar were dressed up like the Village People and were all gay male aliens, i'd think, "thats weird to me".

i think i'm pretty left leaning in general, but its entertainment - and the mainstream hits are going to pretty much reflect the status quo*, and i'm ok with that.

- IGIT

* - white, straight, young women, liberal themes

Yeah, most people don't. And that's a sign of the best type of indoctrination and propaganda: when you don't notice and/or care because it's SO natural.

But this is constantly changing. A lot of stuff from early 20th century films are not acceptable to us now, though they were seen as totally normal to most audiences then. They also didn't see a problem with Bugs Bunny running away from black cannibals or whatever.

Now, most find that stuff uncomfortable or embarrassing.

In the 60s and 70s, diversity in casting was complete non-issue. Now it's brought up more and more. And this is good. Hollywood profits off worldwide audiences, maybe it's time their product reflected worldwide people.

Yeah, most people don't. And that's a sign of the best type of indoctrination and propaganda: when you don't notice and/or care because it's SO natural.

But this is constantly changing. A lot of stuff from early 20th century films are not acceptable to us now, though they were seen as totally normal to most audiences then. They also didn't see a problem with Bugs Bunny running away from black cannibals or whatever.

Now, most find that stuff uncomfortable or embarrassing.

In the 60s and 70s, diversity in casting was complete non-issue. Now it's brought up more and more. And this is good. Hollywood profits off worldwide audiences, maybe it's time their product reflected worldwide people.

hi Possum,

totally agree with everything you're saying.

LOL at the Looney Tunes reference

How about something like Death Wish or other revenge movies? Libs get all squeamish over that street justice (unless it's a minority overcoming that systemic oppression that disallows seeking it elsewhere). :)

heya there Cubo de Sangre,

hmmm.

i don't really see revenge themed movies (and there are a great deal of them) as conservative or liberal.

everyone likes revenge.

its a bipartisan trait, lol.

for the bible thumpers out there, though, you could make the argument that revenge is, by default, not exactly a value that christians would hold close to their hearts.

- IGIT

I find this stuff largely irrelevant. However, I wouldn't mind seeing more Asians in non-typecasted roles.

Ken Watanabe deserves bigger roles. And not shit like 'Japanese Scientist #1'

There's not whiteface per se in Asian cinema, but white people are portrayed horribly at least in Chinese cinema. Westerners are almost always either stupid violent brutes or evil manipulative politicians or businessmen who the valiant Chinese have to fight to free their society. Yeah, there's a lot of historical context around that, but let's not pretend that other countries are anywhere near as worried about their entertainment being free of racial bias.

Having Western constituents play Westerners is one thing, egregiously mocking/condescendingly patronizing the Orientals (parlance at the time) with live caricatures (played by Westerners) e.g. Charlie Chan, Fu Man Chu, Mickey Rooney's, Christopher Walken's, Rob Schneider's (identifies as white), Allison Hannigan's, is another.

No history needed there, just arrogance.

Someone needs to go to China and India and complain about the horrendously racist casting decisions in their movies...Jesus, can we just call it what is at this point? A bunch of cultural marxists trying to chip away at whoever is in control (who also happen to be the vast majority...makes sense, right?) so they can eventually replace them.

These people are dangerous fascists, it's very obvious their anti racism creed is utter horseshit seeing as they only apply it to certain people. I went from being a pretty liberal guy in my 20s to being fairly conservative now because of this brainwashing horseshit, do they not think people see right though it?

Having Western constituents play Westerners is one thing, egregiously mocking/condescendingly patronizing the Orientals (parlance at the time) with live caricatures (played by Westerners) e.g. Charlie Chan, Fu Man Chu, Mickey Rooney's, Christopher Walken's, Rob Schneider's (identifies as white), Allison Hannigan's, is another.

If you think that is a uniquely American thing you have not watched much Chinese cinema. There's not a lot of foreigners in Chinese films anyway because China's immigration policy is so strict (liberals might stoop to call it racist but I just think it's sensible)...as the other guy said, whites in Chinese films are almost totally portrayed as evil scheming tyrants or buffoonish idiots. Use your word salad all you want but the level of racist portrayals of other peoples in Asian film is fucking mindblowing.

Not even going to go into how blacks are portrayed in Japanese media...

Ken Watanabe deserves bigger roles. And not shit like 'Japanese Scientist #1'

hey there Bref,

he had a pretty decent role in "Inception". a solid actor, he's got gravitas. i'd like to see more of him myself, but i have a hard time picturing Hollywood casting him in a leading role in a blockbuster film outside of a "The Last Samurai" kind of storyline.

those spots are generally all taken by white actors (not that i'm bitching about it, it is what it is, you know?).

i was embarrassed by his bit part in "Batman Begins".

- IGIT

hi and well met, Genki,

wasn't Emma Stone hilariously miscast as an asian in some movie? i forget the director's name

As for conservative-themed movies, there's TONS.

Pretty much every revenge and vigilante movie. Swift execution of wrongdoers is a long-held right-wing fantasy. In fact, most crime movies are conservative. The irrational fear (since crime rates are at all-time lows) people have about the bad guys coming to get them is probably fueled in part by the huge number of movies about this.

Most superhero movies. Especially the Batman and Superman ones. These have a vigilante themes, too.

Most war movies. They focus on individuals' overcoming stuff, seldom about the government's aggression. And ALWAYS from the glorious and honorable American military's point of view.

Someone needs to go to China and India and complain about the horrendously racist casting decisions in their movies...Jesus, can we just call it what is at this point? A bunch of cultural marxists trying to chip away at whoever is in control (who also happen to be the vast majority...makes sense, right?) so they can eventually replace them.

These people are dangerous fascists, it's very obvious their anti racism creed is utter horseshit seeing as they only apply it to certain people. I went from being a pretty liberal guy in my 20s to being fairly conservative now because of this brainwashing horseshit, do they not think people see right though it?

Indian film stars are normally much lighter than the population at large. But hey, if that's what Sanjay and Geeta want to see with their hard earned ruppees, then let 'em see it.

hey James,

i was going to say the same thing.

i think people, on the whole, like seeing their iconic movies peopled with mostly white men and young white women.

just take a look at the top grossing movies of all time in Japan. outside of anime, you've got the Harry Potter movies, Titanic, Avatar, ET, and the Last Samurai (starring that Japanese fellow, Tom Cruise).

i also think (this is going to sound bigoted of me, but here goes) the Star Trek reboot would have looked weird if they rewrote the Kirk, Spock, Sulu, Scotty and McCoy as gay men and Uhura as a transgender.

- IGIT

Worldwide appeal for 200 mill costing blockbusters. Elementary. Find that in any country.

But a lot of the highest grossing movie with comparable box office take in respective countries are usually within their film's parent country like China for instance (Chinese Zodiac). Not coincidentally Furious 7 and T: Age of Extinction are the two highest grossing probably because of James Wan and T taking place in China for half of the movie respectively.

heya there Cubo de Sangre,

hmmm.

i don't really see revenge themed movies (and there are a great deal of them) as conservative or liberal.

everyone likes revenge.

its a bipartisan trait, lol.

for the bible thumpers out there, though, you could make the argument that revenge is, by default, not exactly a value that christians would hold close to their hearts.

- IGIT

I don't know. I think the gun issue has polarized it. Libs can't ignore stories fast enough of people defending themselves and their property/others. Conservatives cheer when some scumbag gets plugged over a tv set (or whatever else might be stolen).

cant wait for these remakes

American History X starring will smith

Pearl Harbor starring ken jeong

scarface starring caitlyn jenner

captain america starring freddie prinze jr

Back