Why upgrade to Windows 10?

all the people that are naysaying this and throwing out the "So what?" comments....its all your faults ((in a round about way)) that this is going on....AND is going to get worse as time goes on

thats all

Edit: also anyone crazy/ignorant enough to use windows 10....its also your fault too

all the people that are naysaying this and throwing out the "So what?" comments....its all your faults ((in a round about way)) that this is going on....AND is going to get worse as time goes on

thats all

Privacy isn't a thing anymore. It hasn't been since the first phone line was tapped. I used to take my butt set and tap in to any line I wanted just to see if it worked properly and like everyone at the job would listen in on conversations that were interesting. People have been violation your privacy at will for decades now. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Where is the evidence that all these claims are true?

That doesn't exactly look like a credible, independent website.

Here are a few links.

Is Windows 10 Spying On You? Privacy Fears Raised As OS Secretly Contacts Microsoft Regardless Of Settings
By Mike Brown @mikearildbrown [email protected] on August 13 2015 8:27 AM EDT

http://www.ibtimes.com/windows-10-s...ecretly-contacts-microsoft-regardless-2051900

Is Windows 10 really a privacy nightmare?

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/17/technology/windows-10-privacy/index.html

Microsoft

Privacy isn't a thing anymore. It hasn't been since the first phone line was tapped. I used to take my butt set and tap in to any line I wanted just to see if it worked properly and like everyone at the job would listen in on conversations that were interesting. People have been violation your privacy at will for decades now. Sorry to burst your bubble.

obviously...you dont need to point that out to me...after your post tho I do see the need to point out to you....that we're talking about windows...and where its going, not about what you and your little circle jerk of friends get off to while at work..

Microsoft pays people to shill their products on popular forums.

Ah right, so anyone who doesn't immediately swallow a random czech dude's unsupported claims that don't tie in with the major tech websites' analyses of Windows 10 privacy problems is probably part of a corporate conspiracy. Got it.

Just to save me time, which link shows that the current version of Windows 10 "sends everything you type every 30 minutes" to MS?

I don't know if this is what you are looking for and I'm not a Windows 10 expert. Its new so I don't think we really know yet the extent of what might be happening.

“From the moment an account is created, Microsoft begins watching. The company saves customers’ basic information – name, contact details, passwords, demographic data and credit card specifics,” explains a new report from the online Newsweek.

“But it also digs a bit deeper,” the report says.

“Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders,” the warning explains.

“Furthermore, ‘your typed and handwritten words’ are collected.’”

http://themostimportantnews.com/arc...y-on-personal-emails-images-credit-cards-more

Ah right, so anyone who doesn't immediately swallow a random czech dude's unsupported claims that don't tie in with the major tech websites' analyses of Windows 10 privacy problems is probably part of a corporate conspiracy. Got it.

If you're not computer literate enough to understand how smartsniff works, and if you have the time and interest in the subject matter, I suggest going to /g/ and see what the neckbeards who hack credit cards and personal info for a living have to say about Windows 10

I don't know if this is what you are looking for and I'm not a Windows 10 expert. Its new so I don't think we really know yet the extent of what might be happening.

Well that is certainly true. You, I and that Czech block don't know. Yet he's making these very strong claims that are not backed up by the current data.

That link does not back up that claim. It's merely referring to a newpaper's article of some journalist's interpretation of the the privacy policy of the public beta copy and if you read that, you'll see that it does not make that claim. And it doesn't address the effects of opting out of the various services in Privacy Settings.

I've checked out this claim and cannot find a reputable primary source to back it up. I've also looked at some of the other claims with similar results. I have read what appear to be the best tech websites analyses and they don't tally either.

I'm not saying there are no privacy issues with Windows 10 (or Google, Gmail etc etc) but these overblown claims appear to be mostly scaremongering.

If you're not computer literate enough to understand how smartsniff works, and if you have the time and interest in the subject matter, I suggest going to /g/ and see what people who hack credit cards and personal info for a living have to say about Windows 10

Really? Dammit. I'd better give up my full-time employment as a computer engineer then.

But before I do, please enlighten me as to the data that backs up all of these claims.

Well that is certainly true. You, I and that Czech block don't know. Yet he's making these very strong claims that are not backed up by the current data.

That link does not back up that claim. It's merely referring to a newpaper's article of some journalist's interpretation of the the privacy policy of the public beta copy and if you read that, you'll see that it does not make that claim. And it doesn't address the effects of opting out of the various services in Privacy Settings.

I've checked out this claim and cannot find a reputable primary source to back it up. I've also looked at some of the other claims with similar results. I have read what appear to be the best tech websites analyses and they don't tally either.

I'm not saying there are no privacy issues with Windows 10 (or Google, Gmail etc etc) but these overblown claims appear to be mostly scaremongering.

Newsweek

Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders. Furthermore,

Microsoft pays people to shill their products on popular forums.

They may. As someone who works with their products often enough, in an enterprise capacity, I have noticed a number of tech forums on which someone will ask the same question I am asking. Then some "expert," gives them a half assed solution. The TS will come back and say it didn't work, giving a detailed explanation of what happened. The "expert," then says nothing, the thread is locked and marked as "solved." This happens an awful lot.

Newsweek

Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders. Furthermore,

Yea I'm not sure what you are asking for then.

More than just a newpaper artcile on an extrapolation of some terms which are broad enough to say that MS could do something - actual evidence that "everything you type is sent to microsoft every 30 seconds" as per the claim.

Because MS say they don't do this and the few bits of analysis I've seen all say they cannot find evidence this is happening.

Clearly MS are granting themselves way too many rights in their terms. This is wrong and needs changing. Same goes for Google and other online services. But that Czech website's claims are out of line as to what everyone else is saying is actually happening. Maybe he's right that they're wrong. I'm open to that but he'd need to provide evidence rater than just saying it's so.

I get RSS feeds from SANs, TechRepublic, Krebs, etc. every day. They've shown articles on how to turn off the data mining and not once have they said that Windows 10 is going to take all of your information. The articles in this thread that say otherwise aren't factual at all.

Anytime you try to leave your network and access information, you're always going to run the risk of not having 100% privacy, it's not feasible.

More than just a newpaper artcile on an extrapolation of some terms which are broad enough to say that MS could do something - actual evidence that "everything you type is sent to microsoft every 30 seconds" as per the claim.

Because MS say they don't do this and the few bits of analysis I've seen all say they cannot find evidence this is happening.

Clearly MS are granting themselves way too many rights in their terms. This is wrong and needs changing. Same goes for Google and other online services. But that Czech website's claims are out of line as to what everyone else is saying is actually happening. Maybe he's right that they're wrong. I'm open to that but he'd need to provide evidence rater than just saying it's so.

This is probably not what you are looking for either but its Forbes.

Just one example of how the (supposed) data doesn't fit the claimed conclusions:

I don't read Czech so I'm relying on Google translation but on the subject of keylogging, the article's author says: "Even if you install Windows 10 on an encryption program to communicate with someone over the Internet, thanks to the collection of information from the keyboard (key logging), Microsoft can read what you wrote. I can not seem to capture what you wrote the other side of encrypted communication, but at least one side intercepting communications is a very serious matter."

So he has never actually captured the keylogged data, and the claim made in the OP (not by the article writer it should be noted) states that it's collecting evertthing you type and sending it back.

also the tests were conducted on an RTM version (one where they are collecting information to iron out any bugs), so it's not clear that the same data is being collected in the full version.

Back