Why upgrade to Windows 10?

The clause is taken directly from their own user agreement.

...that I already addressed. Don't mean to be rude but this is getting kind of irritating because it appears you're not reading my answers but merely posting what is essentially the same post over and over.

Let me spell out what I'm trying to say one more time so there's no confusion:

MS's terms are very wide and appear to say they can collect almost all information on your computer. This is bad and is in their own words. However, also in their own words, are their denials that they actually do this. So which of their words do we believe? Hard to say. So we go to the technical analyses of data being sent. What that that show? Well, I've not been able to find anyone who has successfully intercepted that data and various 1/2 decent tech sites are saying no such data is being collected and sent.

EDIT: also forgot to mention: as far as I can tell, those articles about the terms are still quoting the technical preview version that most certainly WAS collecting information for obvious reasons. I'm still trying to update myself as to what the commercial version does and how its terms are different. The terms here, don';t look anywhere near as scary: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/windows-privacy-faq also https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/servicesagreement/default.aspx

Do a search on "collect typed" and it doesn't even appear in the terms.

This article puts a different spin on it: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/23/9191989/windows-privacy-and-you

However I will say this: if I were a criminal or terrorist I wouldn't be using Windows, Google, Hotmail, Yahoo, IOS or Android. There is no doubt that obtaining information about people's online lives is getting easier and easier as desktop and cloud converge.

Last edited:
...that I already addressed. Don't mean to be rude but this is getting kind of irritating because it appears you're not reading my answers but merely posting what is essentially the same post over and over.

Let me spell out what I'm trying to say one more time so there's no confusion:

MS's terms are very wide and appear to say they can collect almost all information on your computer. This is bad and is in their own words. However, also in their own words, are their denials that they actually do this. So which of their words do we believe? Hard to say. So we go to the technical analyses of data being sent. What that that show? Well, I've not been able to find anyone who has successfully intercepted that data and various 1/2 decent tech sites are saying no such data is being collected and sent.

Agreed 100%. There's really no need to panic or get paranoid. The OP of this thread is either trolling or off his rocker.

obviously...you dont need to point that out to me...after your post tho I do see the need to point out to you....that we're talking about windows...and where its going, not about what you and your little circle jerk of friends get off to while at work..

Obviously you're too upset to realize the two things are connected. You lived in a bubble with some made up perception of reality that never comported to actual reality. You're worried about windows doing to you what every internet search engine has done for a decade and before that people just listened in on your private phone calls. You grew up in a world where privacy was a thing of the past. We don't have any, nor have we ever, and it's not a big deal.

Obviously you're too upset to realize the two things are connected. You lived in a bubble with some made up perception of reality that never comported to actual reality. You're worried about windows doing to you what every internet search engine has done for a decade and before that people just listened in on your private phone calls. You grew up in a world where privacy was a thing of the past. We don't have any, nor have we ever, and it's not a big deal.

What a weird view on things. I can tell you I definitely grew up in a world with way more privacy. Probably why I resist the tracking now.

I grew up in a world in which operating systems didn't record every fucking thing I typed and clicked on. And let's not pretend like just because Google records everything I search for, that my OS recording everything I do is somehow the same thing. These are two disparate and unequal levels of intrusion.

I grew up in a world in which operating systems didn't record every fucking thing I typed and clicked on. And let's not pretend like just because Google records everything I search for, that my OS recording everything I do is somehow the same thing. These are two disparate and unequal levels of intrusion.

You're right that it's another step up. If it actually does of course. Which does not appear to be the case.

But let's look at one Windows 10 feature, the search bar which says on it "Search the web and Windows". It's handy to search both local and net data at the same time for many reasons. That search function, if its internet component is to be as effective as normal Bing, must collect and use at least as much info as Bing or Google does. But the bar you type into is part of windows and not a website (kind of arbitrary distinction in a convergent world). So for this to work, Windows now must collect info that was previous collected by the browser/website combination. That alone requires much more scary privacy terms and conditions than before. The terms sound scary but the technology is little more than a bar being in a different place.

Btw Google record and use much more than your search terms.

Last edited:
I'm not that overally worried about them getting a bunch of pictures of me staring at a computer screen. It's not like they're going to find out a bunch of info about me. Like OMG they'll see that I haven't gotten around to shaving the last few days, really damning images of me that would result in for them.

what about ur fapping face? ur not worried about that?

You're right that it's another step up. If it actually does of course. Which does not appear to be the case.

But let's look at one Windows 10 feature, the search bar which says on it "Search the web and Windows". It's handy to search both local and net data at the same time for many reasons. That search function, if its internet component is to be as effective as normal Bing, must collect and use at least as much info as Bing or Google does. But the bar you type into is part of windows and not a website (kind of arbitrary distinction in a convergent world). So for this to work, Windows now must collect info that was previous collected by the browser/website combination. That alone requires much more scary privacy terms and conditions than before. The terms sound scary but the technology is little more than a bar being in a different place.

Btw Google record and use much more than your search terms.

I understand the technical aspect. I don't really need it explained since this is what I do for a living. The screenshots and key logger shit are what get me.

I understand the technical aspect. I don't really need it explained since this is what I do for a living. The screenshots and key logger shit are what get me.

What key logger are you referring to?

And it seems like the screenshot thing is something you may not be able to turn off. I don't know that. But judging by the pains they took to hide it, I can't imagine they advertise shutting off its functionality. And even if you can, I don't like that they're doing this shit to "improve functionality" anyway. Dragon Naturally Speaking can learn your speech patterns and improve its accuracy without sending everything you're doing back to Nuance. It handles it all locally. This shit just wreaks.

Oh that article...Meh. I didn't think it was technical information at all, just someone's interpretation of what Microsoft said.

I will not stand for this spying shit, alot of guys blow it off saying it doesn't effect them, but privacy is part of freedom and when you give it up you're no longer free

Meh, you can turn most of it off and people have weird ideas of what kind of data they're looking through. Like there's a team of egg heads analyzing the vids of you fapping taken by your web cam. Or reading through every line of e-mails everyone sends out like they're sifting through all the "Hey, that meat loaf was great!" messages to try to find that one of Joe Blow messaging a tranny hooker through craigslist.

They just find algorithms and patterns to make predictions. It's why if you look through your "People you may know" list on Facebook you randomly find some chick that gave you a blowjob 5 years ago. They didn't actually go through all your personal data and determine that a chick sucked on your dong, they just found a link with both of your phones data and put each profile in the list of possible connections.

Trust me. All the shit you don't want people to know about is shit other people don't want to know about. Especially Microsoft.

Great. Now they know I watched a video trying to explain why straight dudes are into shemales.

Back