Why isn't Holly Holm better?

She clearly is a very good athlete. She comes from a tremendous athletic and combat sports background. She has a tremendous work ethic, in fact she appears to be a gym rat. Comes from a great camp. What's missing?
It's probably quite difficult to switch sports at 36.

Looked like a lack of confidence in her last fight. Would not engage..
Agreed, fights to "not lose" too often. If RR hadn't continued to charge her like a wild bull she never would have had the opportunity to KO her, imo.

Issue I have is, as a Jackson-Wink camp fan, I think that if those guys can't get her mental game more on track she needs to change camps. Time to change things up

As others have said, she appeared to be very tentative & lacking confidence. Of course the question then becomes: why?

She's fuckin badass, it's just that there are a lot of badass mofos out there.

Shevchenko is just that good, beat Joanna 3 times in Muay Thai as well.

She clearly is a very good athlete. She comes from a tremendous athletic and combat sports background. She has a tremendous work ethic, in fact she appears to be a gym rat. Comes from a great camp. What's missing?

What's missing is that women's boxing isn't even near the level of men's boxing when it comes to technique and skills. I guess people thought that her being a former world boxing champ and training at Jackson's would make her a Kovalev or a Klitschko with takedown and sub defense. Unfortunately she's extremely limited as a boxer and even more as an MMA fighter.

Since her debut

She has LOOKED AWFUL!

she did well against Ronda, BRAVO! she will forever have my respect because of that, but her debut and her fights after winning the title, she has looked awful

oh my fkin God ... and why is God forsaken again????
She has been 19x boxing Champ in 3 diferent divisions plus UFC Champion after causing which is one of the most significant upsets in MMA !! .... why dafuq would you even question that you fkin nerds ? ... cause she lost 2 close fights ?
I mean ... do you tards take yourselfes seriously ?
You fkin idiots are the reason why actual Fighters dont post on Sherdog ... so at least show some "honour" and e-suicide yourselfes...... and fkin period ... u turds

You can think that about a lot of very good fighters. They seem to do everything right, seem to have all the "tools" but keep falling short.

But look at who she lost to. You think valentina isn't working her butt off in the gym. She comes from a martial arts family, a tough upbringing, incredible resume and she seems to have the mind and heart of a champ. At that level you can be the perfect competitor and still get beaten.

Contrary to popular belief she isn't a counter striker. In fact she really sucks at counter punching. She's not very versatile on the feet. but what she does do is pretty good.

You can think that about a lot of very good fighters. They seem to do everything right, seem to have all the "tools" but keep falling short.

But look at who she lost to. You think valentina isn't working her butt off in the gym. She comes from a martial arts family, a tough upbringing, incredible resume and she seems to have the mind and heart of a champ. At that level you can be the perfect competitor and still get beaten.

I think her longer limbs worked against her in this matchup. I notice the bullet could snap her punches and kicks in alot faster with her smaller limbs. Holly looked so much slower.

Has she ever trained with the Diaz bros? I seriously think she could learn something from them. Their mma boxing is phenomenal and they aren't exactly power punchers. They use that signature volume striking and cardio. Holm can do the same. Plus, the help in grappling is a given.

The Diaz brothers also get punched in the face a lot and they don't seem to care too much about it, they're happy to take 5 punches in the face as long as they can punch their opponents back 10 times. They have that zero fucks given mentality and I'm not sure you can teach that to someone like Holm who's pretty much allergic to getting hit. It would be nice since Holm seems to have a pretty solid chin so she can definitely afford to take a few more shots than she does to get into range and unload with combos, but trying to undo 20 years of habits and Jackson-Wink training ain't gonna be easy.

Since her debut

She has LOOKED AWFUL!

she did well against Ronda, BRAVO! she will forever have my respect because of that, but her debut and her fights after winning the title, she has looked awful

I really didn't think she deserved to fight Honda. I thought it was going to be a massacre like all the others. That being said, the one fight I had seen of Holm's prior to that was against Pennington and she didnt impress me at all.

Her skills just don't seem to be a great fit for MMA. She does some things well and others very poorly. Also, there is some kind of fear buzzing around in her head. Fear of being taken down, fear of being hit by fists with smaller gloves, etc. Only she can say, but she looks a lot like a .500 fighter at this point. Granted, she is facing all top 10 opponents now. The bad news for her is that any fool can come up with a solid gameplan to beat her. Whether they can implement it or not, who knows, but the way to beat her isn't a mystery.

I still think she's closer to being absolutely dominating than anyone else in the division.

I also think her window is egregiously short. She's up there in age.

Shevchenko is the only person who can strike with her. Nunes has the power to stick with her, but I don't think she holds a candle to Holly's technique.

She needs work on her grappling, but her TD defense is pretty amazing all things considered.

She lost a fight to Miesha she shouldn't have and mostly dominated with the exception of two takedowns, the second of which was just bush league that she allowed herself to get caught in. Shevy out stuck her. But Shevy's outstruck everyone in fight sports. Even the Nunes fight - she had completely turned it around and ran out of time. She murdered Ronda. Outclassed Miesha and didn't get the result. Lost to Shevy.

She's plenty good. She'll be back as I think she's a superior athlete to most of the ladies in that division. But she needs to get back on the horse quick. Window will close if she doesn't.

Back