Why is Tony a threat to Khabib?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ayewheresthecannoli, Mar 23, 2020.

1. ayewheresthecannoli

ayewheresthecannoli Yellow Belt

The way I see it, Tony will go into the fight being Tony. I don't think he's going to change anything drastic about his game. So that begs the question, what about Tony's current game, makes you think that he will be a legit threat to Khabib?

I'm not super excited for this fight because I see it as just another Khabibesque decision win. I see Khabib taking Tony down and controlling him on the ground for 5 rounds. I don't think that Khabib will fall prey to a submission against Tony like the submission vulnerable Kevin Lee.

TLDR: Can somebody please point out multiple examples where Tony has great submissions off his back, is dangerous with elbows off his back and is hard to take down. Because I don't see it.

2. smooth assassin

smooth assassin Brown Belt

I just want to see him get smashed, tired of his attitude (Tony)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  3. ayewheresthecannoli

Khabib's? I'm rooting for Tony but I honestly don't view Khabib as some kind of cocky guy who thinks he's unbeatable. It's hard for me to get excited for this fight. I guess I could if Khabib was saying shit like "I'm the best ever" but he's not. He views Tony as a legitamate threat.

4. Brodie

Brodie White Belt

Agreed, khabib is just too dominant. Rarely puts himself in a bad position.

I give tony the same chance of getting a submission off his back as i did Conor landing a left hand.

Dacha and ayewheresthecannoli like this.
  5. Slatersan

Slatersan Brown Belt

Look at my av and tell me you need another reason why Ferg is a threat.

6. poor form

poor form Green Belt

I thought he meant Tony.

7. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

Tony’s scramble, his guard and his boxing.

8. poor form

poor form Green Belt

Some effeminate boyband dude from around 2000, hitting a midlife crisis and making a comeback? I don’t get it.

9. Sweater of AV

Sweater of AV Silver Belt

10. The DanaWhite

The DanaWhite Pink Belt

For 1 there is so much tape on khabib tony has been training for him forever. Striking i give tony the advantage. I also give tony the cardio advantage. Even conor was able to make khabib work for the takedowns on some of the occasions. Now imagine tony in there who has wreslted his whole life. I think khabib will still prob get him down early on but tonys ground game, is good enough to make khabib work. Once we get to round 3 4 5 i think tony will be more fresh and then he can start to take over. Khabib rarely get td in the open. He pushes you against the fence and plays that game. Tony has a darce choke from a million angles anytime khabib trys for any of those prolonged grappling exchanges trying to drag tony down. I think tony has really studied khabibs game and what he likes to do. Khabib has a clear path through techniques and positions he likes to go through. Tony might not be able to ko or sub him early but rounds 4 and 5 once khabib has had to work for 15 to 20 mins straight, scrambling, getting choked, getting elbowed from the bottom and tony is fresh as a marathon runner still coming at him i think tony can wrap up that neck on a tired khabib shooting in or tko a khabib that can no longer take him down. im not saying its a sure thing but if tony wins this is how i see it

11. SteveMR

SteveMR Green Belt

You need someone to show you multiple examples of Tony fucking Ferguson being "dangerous" with elbows off his back? Are you new here?

12. SteveMR

SteveMR Green Belt

This is the most coherent block of text post I've ever seen

13. apap

apap Blue Belt

Because Tony trains with Hitler and can do sh*t like this!!
    kung_fury-3.gif

14. The DanaWhite

The DanaWhite Pink Belt

lol

15. Tuf_guy

Tuf_guy Gold Belt

Because he's the kinda guy who wears tap dancing shoes around the house when he doesn't wanna disturb the neighbors?

Yeah, any guy who wants to "sex you up" and is a high level grappler is automatically triggering a red alert.

Nathan LaMontagne likes this.
  16. ayewheresthecannoli

Yes, examples brother.

17. ayewheresthecannoli

Good points.

18. old school 2

old school 2 Black Belt

Watch Tony vs Castillo. Tony gets wrestled to the ground and held there for last 12 minutes of that fight. No elbows, no offense and certainly no cardio. He won on two the 3 judges score cards but I think he lost. You have to ask yourself is Khabib even slightly better than no name Castillo, because if he is Tony is screwed.

19. UFCFantasyMVP

UFCFantasyMVP Blue Belt

Tony has a mind of a monster! A heart that wont quit and a will to bring this belt to 'Merica. Khabib's going to have work to keep Tony down. Tony will be looking to finish the fight, from start to finish. By round 3, the fight will be primarily striking, 'cause Khabib's going to have to work for every takedown and Khabib's not finishing Tony. Tony has the best jiu jitsu out of anyone Khabib has fought. Tony doesn't lay on his back doing nothing, he stays active, which means his cardio is off the charts. Khabib's never had to work as hard as he will have to work for... not only every takedown, but every keep down, as well. And he'll have to avoid every d'arce and triangle attempted, in the process, not to mention that he's going to have a hell of a tornado to walk through, on the feet! Tony's never been slept, either. So this is really going to test Khabib's cardio and durability. Not to mention, Tony thinks he's inside Khabib's head, typically when a fighter's livin' in another's head, it means that they're going to change their character in the fight, which has tends to make them aggressive. Well, the more aggression Khabib comes with, the more tagged he's going to get! This is the most exciting fight of the year! #teamandnew

Fredd and Gregoire1 like this.
  20. Filter909

Filter909 Blue Belt

MMA math bro. Tony submitted Tibau in the 1st round. Tibau practically went to a draw with Khabib. Therefore, Tony beats Khabib 10/10 times. #Mathefactics

Jarilo likes this.