Why is Tony a threat to Khabib?

The way I see it, Tony will go into the fight being Tony. I don't think he's going to change anything drastic about his game. So that begs the question, what about Tony's current game, makes you think that he will be a legit threat to Khabib?

I'm not super excited for this fight because I see it as just another Khabibesque decision win. I see Khabib taking Tony down and controlling him on the ground for 5 rounds. I don't think that Khabib will fall prey to a submission against Tony like the submission vulnerable Kevin Lee.

TLDR: Can somebody please point out multiple examples where Tony has great submissions off his back, is dangerous with elbows off his back and is hard to take down. Because I don't see it.

Why Tony is a threat to Khabib?
See below.

Tony Ferguson off his back

Reasons why Tony is dangerous

Reasons why Khabib is dangerous

Tony’s scramble, his guard and his boxing.
This, plus Tony’s pace, cardio, and pressure. I think Tony is the more varied and better striker, he’s very dangerous off of his back, has insane cardio, and refuses to give up.

Watch Tony vs Castillo. Tony gets wrestled to the ground and held there for last 12 minutes of that fight. No elbows, no offense and certainly no cardio. He won on two the 3 judges score cards but I think he lost. You have to ask yourself is Khabib even slightly better than no name Castillo, because if he is Tony is screwed.
It’s bizarre people keep saying tony TDD or tony wrestling. He literally just falls over. He is one of the easiest guys in LW history to take down. And he’s been controlled several times by far less skilled people than Khabib. Castillo made him look like a defenseless little baby.

Ferguson cardio is overrated.
All Ferguson fights are based on him controlling the pace and pressure.
He is a better version of Diaz. He gets hit a lot and moves with the shots trying to wear them down. Once they slow down he cuts them open because if he is in close range. That changes the fight.

Khabib will dictate the pace. Khabib will take him down and force Ferguson to use muscles he never used before in his entire life. Tony will gass out because ge is not used to such top control with high pressure. Tony also gassed out against Castillo. He couldn't get up and was slowing down.
Ferguson fights are trying to wear them down with pressure and then finish them once they can't handle the pressure.
Khabib is his kryptonite. Khabib takes away the pressure and dictates the pace. in all his bad fights Ferguson didn't dictate the pace.
He couldn't dictate the pace against Michael Johnson and Castillo.
Khabib has also faster hands than Tony in the stand up game. Something he has big problems with. Tony is very slow because of his long limbs and khabib also has faster footwork. So he will not back him up and keep it standing.

People say that was a long time ago and bring up juiced Tibau.
But Khabib was 23 years old and not in his prime against a steroid fighter. Ferguson was 30 and physically in his prime. That's a big difference.

Last edited:
Back