Why is Tony a threat to Khabib?

The way I see it, Tony will go into the fight being Tony. I don't think he's going to change anything drastic about his game. So that begs the question, what about Tony's current game, makes you think that he will be a legit threat to Khabib?

I'm not super excited for this fight because I see it as just another Khabibesque decision win. I see Khabib taking Tony down and controlling him on the ground for 5 rounds. I don't think that Khabib will fall prey to a submission against Tony like the submission vulnerable Kevin Lee.

TLDR: Can somebody please point out multiple examples where Tony has great submissions off his back, is dangerous with elbows off his back and is hard to take down. Because I don't see it.
Tony will cut/slice Khabib like minced meat

Tony is much more of an offensive threat, better submission game, better offensive grappling, better cardio etc
Lol Tony does not have a better submission game or better offensive grappling than Tibau. The only reason he submitted Tibau was because Tibau got rocked and went for a panic TD, you'll find this pattern in most of Tony's submissions.

The strategy Castillo used against Tony is a similar strategy that Khabib uses a lot in most of his fights, takes his opponent down and controls him near the cage. Khabib/Tibau is a very different matchup.
Danny found a LOT of success with this (I do think Tony won that fight though), and he's not on the same level of grappling Khabib is.

The way I see it, Tony will go into the fight being Tony. I don't think he's going to change anything drastic about his game. So that begs the question, what about Tony's current game, makes you think that he will be a legit threat to Khabib?

I'm not super excited for this fight because I see it as just another Khabibesque decision win. I see Khabib taking Tony down and controlling him on the ground for 5 rounds. I don't think that Khabib will fall prey to a submission against Tony like the submission vulnerable Kevin Lee.

TLDR: Can somebody please point out multiple examples where Tony has great submissions off his back, is dangerous with elbows off his back and is hard to take down. Because I don't see it.
why is khabib a threat to tony. well i guess khabib can hold him down. Can he gnp tony. unlikely. question is can khabib hold tony down for three rounds before tony runs though him in rounds 4 and 5.
I dont think khabib offers much apart from holding tony down.

Okay guys, let's just set Khabib's record to 50-0 and skip all his future fights.

By that same token, how did Khabib look vs Tibau? It's a fight he almost lost and a lot of people had Khabib losing that fight. Tony is much more of an offensive threat, better submission game, better offensive grappling, better cardio etc. You gotta ask yourself, if Tony is slightly better than perennial 15-25 ranked Tibau (which we know he is in so many ways) then Khabib is screwed.

;)

Has Tony the same tdd as the juiced tibau?

Castillo was a better example, as he implemented a plan that khabib can follow and he is much better than castillo

Obviously Tony is a much better fighter than Tibau, but he will not fight with the same tactics

Has Tony improved since castillo?

Obviously, but Khabib is a much better grappler than castillo or Lee, who both gave Tony problems

Tony has been pretty inactive, even more so than khabib in recent years

He is also getting pretty old

I just can't see him winning this fight.

If he does? I will give him immense credit and admit I was talking shit.

Has Tony the same tdd as the juiced tibau?

Castillo was a better example, as he implemented a plan that khabib can follow and he is much better than castillo

Obviously Tony is a much better fighter than Tibau, but he will not fight with the same tactics

Has Tony improved since castillo?

Obviously, but Khabib is a much better grappler than castillo or Lee, who both gave Tony problems

Tony has been pretty inactive, even more so than khabib in recent years

He is also getting pretty old

I just can't see him winning this fight.

If he does? I will give him immense credit and admit I was talking shit.
Tony may be getting old, but his cardio is better than Khabib. He's creative and weird, and mentally he's just as strong as Khabib if not stronger. Tony will make Khabib bleed, even if he loses.

You couldn't post this in one of the 100 Khabib fanboy threads about the exact same topic?

You felt like you needed to make thread 101 about the same thing?

Are you as insecure as the rest of Khabibi's phony fanbase?

Stamina, workrate, size, aggressive off his back and is comfortable anywhere.

tbh i don't think this fight will ever happen
but if it does, it will be one of khabib's easiest fights

tony is a threat in these ways:
i) he is a dirty fighter and will eye gouge or hit after the bell or land illegal strikes that do a lot to change the outcome of the fight
ii) he has better cardio than khabib
iii) he has more powerful striking than khabib
iv) he worships the true christian god and not the infidel moon god

maybe tony can last until the later rounds. we have reason to believe that khabib has a tendency to takes those rounds off, which would give tony a chance to hurt khabib standing
but tony takes a lot of risks and opens himself up in a way that plays right into khabib's strengths.

For 1 there is so much tape on khabib tony has been training for him forever. Striking i give tony the advantage. I also give tony the cardio advantage. Even conor was able to make khabib work for the takedowns on some of the occasions. Now imagine tony in there who has wreslted his whole life. I think khabib will still prob get him down early on but tonys ground game, is good enough to make khabib work. Once we get to round 3 4 5 i think tony will be more fresh and then he can start to take over. Khabib rarely get td in the open. He pushes you against the fence and plays that game. Tony has a darce choke from a million angles anytime khabib trys for any of those prolonged grappling exchanges trying to drag tony down. I think tony has really studied khabibs game and what he likes to do. Khabib has a clear path through techniques and positions he likes to go through. Tony might not be able to ko or sub him early but rounds 4 and 5 once khabib has had to work for 15 to 20 mins straight, scrambling, getting choked, getting elbowed from the bottom and tony is fresh as a marathon runner still coming at him i think tony can wrap up that neck on a tired khabib shooting in or tko a khabib that can no longer take him down. im not saying its a sure thing but if tony wins this is how i see it
Show me a fight where Tony wrestled for more than 2 rounds... He also only has one 5 round fight vs RDA that was all standup, i dont see where people can draw that Tony has better cardio then khabib, khabib's wrestling style is more endurance demanding than tony's striking style, he looked fresh as fuck vs al iaqunta, 3 of those rounds were just standup. I have never seen him show fatigue as in slowing down to a point where he starts throwing sloopy and his movement begins to look laboured. Also lol at tony being able to consistently put khabib into chokes and elbow him from his back, tony isnt gonna do shit of his back, he's gonna be in survival mode just like everyone else, a more honest assesment would be, if tony can stay tf away from khabib, use his reach and unorthadox movement to keep khabib off of him, he has a good chance.

Tony’s TDD is not as good as Tibau but Khabib’s wrestling way better than Castillo. I hope that clears it up for you.

The point is that Tony is a much better fighter than Tibau and Khabib still allowed that to be a very close fight. There are so many things that Tony does better than Tibau on offense and defense. Even if his TDD isnt as good...he offers so many other things like scrambles, submission etc.

In the grand scheme things, I brought up the Khabib/Tibau fight in comparison to what another poster said about Casitlo/Tony. I was indirectly trying to make the point that both fights were years and years ago and both guys have developed and are much better fighters now so those two fights are irrelevant. Both those fights are brought up to make Khabib and Tony show some weakness. It really doesnt considering they've both been much more dominant vs higher level comp.

He isn't really. His footwork is terrible and isn't a powerful striker.

Khabib probably rocks him with an overhand, due to Ferguson's porous defense. After this fight, you will see how Ferguson's guard game is very overrated.

I don't think he is threat to khabib. Khabib is the best!

By that same token, how did Khabib look vs Tibau? It's a fight he almost lost and a lot of people had Khabib losing that fight. Tony is much more of an offensive threat, better submission game, better offensive grappling, better cardio etc. You gotta ask yourself, if Tony is slightly better than perennial 15-25 ranked Tibau (which we know he is in so many ways) then Khabib is screwed.

;)
except the Khabib that fight there was completely different to now. He has evolved so much more and that was early in his UFC career

Khabib always most exclusively looked for single legs all the time as his entry for takedowns. Now his MMA takedown game is a lot-more diverse and doesn't just rely on single legs at all

Also Tibau was on the juice

The point is that Tony is a much better fighter than Tibau and Khabib still allowed that to be a very close fight. There are so many things that Tony does better than Tibau on offense and defense. Even if his TDD isnt as good...he offers so many other things like scrambles, submission etc.

In the grand scheme things, I brought up the Khabib/Tibau fight in comparison to what another poster said about Casitlo/Tony. I was indirectly trying to make the point that both fights were years and years ago and both guys have developed and are much better fighters now so those two fights are irrelevant. Both those fights are brought up to make Khabib and Tony show some weakness. It really doesnt considering they've both been much more dominant vs higher level comp.
Both beat Tibau , only one beat MJ the other lost all rounds and turned down a rematch.

Show me a fight where Tony wrestled for more than 2 rounds... He also only has one 5 round fight vs RDA that was all standup, i dont see where people can draw that Tony has better cardio then khabib, khabib's wrestling style is more endurance demanding than tony's striking style, he looked fresh as fuck vs al iaqunta, 3 of those rounds were just standup. I have never seen him show fatigue as in slowing down to a point where he starts throwing sloopy and his movement begins to look laboured. Also lol at tony being able to consistently put khabib into chokes and elbow him from his back, tony isnt gonna do shit of his back, he's gonna be in survival mode just like everyone else, a more honest assesment would be, if tony can stay tf away from khabib, use his reach and unorthadox movement to keep khabib off of him, he has a good chance.
im not sayin he is a better wrestler . Simply pointing out he is good enough to make it a fight. As far as your cardio arugment tony has never been tired. He looks better in round 5 than he does in round 1. khabib on the other hand stuggling to take conor down and getting boxed up on the feet in round 3. Obviously gassed from all he did in round 2. Tony will be the fresher guy come rounds 345. And if he stuggled to take conor down when he was tired in round 3 imagine how that will play out with tony who will be fresh as ever.

I think he's a threat because Khabib fades as the fight goes on and Tony steps on the gas. plus tony's tough to put away. only been finished once in 28 fights. I could see khabib smashing Tony up pretty good for rounds 1-2, then fading a bit. rounds 4 and 5 Tony. round 3?

im not sayin he is a better wrestler . Simply pointing out he is good enough to make it a fight. As far as your cardio arugment tony has never been tired. He looks better in round 5 than he does in round 1. khabib on the other hand stuggling to take conor down and getting boxed up on the feet in round 3. Obviously gassed from all he did in round 2. Tony will be the fresher guy come rounds 345. And if he stuggled to take conor down when he was tired in round 3 imagine how that will play out with tony who will be fresh as ever.
Khabib got boxed up by conor in the third because conor is a better boxer than khabib... Crazy right, khabib also landed the more powerfull and snapy shots in that round which makes me believe that he was still fresh enough to throw snapy punches, khabib's striking is very much underrated, dont be suprised if khabib drops tony standing

Back