Why is there a misconception among BJJ practitioners that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can probably name the starter on the US National team for freestyle in every weight to be honest.

1. how I am naive? What scale are you ranking technicality on and physical athletic ability? How are you doing that? What system are you using and who said that that is the universal system of judging these things?
Are you a black belt in Jiu Jitsu? Did you make the US team? What experience do you have in judging these things?

2. Jiu Jitsu is fragmented because no one single organization is dominating...which is better to some because they dont want the sport homogenized (Definition of the stupid .
Your comment on Gi and no Gi is like me saying Freestyle and Greco roman who that wrestling is inconsistent and poorly managed... they can't even decide on rules. OR, is it two different forms of wrestling? Just like gi and no gi can be 2 different forms of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competition. Funny.

3. Your stupidity is also funny. But hey, at least we're both laughing.

The US team is shit anyway, except for Herbert and Dlagnev.

1. I am using my experience from both sports and from what I have seen to understand the different technical abilities involved in each sport. One interesting fact is that with limited Jiu Jitsu ability and with the use of my wrestling knowledge I have faired well against BJJ black belts (by well they couldn't tap me, sweep me and i got the take down).

2. Jiu Jitsu being fragmented basically makes it into some sort of backyard sport. I might host my own BJJ world championships, in fact we will have qualifiers, a standard set of rules and only one person can represent a nation at a weight class. My WC would be the most legit one haha.

3. gi and no gi is not comparable to freestyle and greco roman. If you put a gi on freestyle wrestlers and claimed there was now freestyle gi and freestyle no gi, that would be a much more accurate analogy.

I don't know enough about high level wrestling or BJJ to amount to anything. I've known wrestlers at the lower NCAA levels. The top level NCAA wrestlers are great technically and are often amazing athletes. Surprisingly these guys are a big step below the Olympic level wrestlers. Brock Lesnar was not, at his best, an Olympic level wrestler.

One of the things that makes MMA great is that guys who are not even at a black belt level in BJJ can submit Olympic level wrestlers. Ultimately the sport of wrestling is built significantly around pinning an opponent, something that has limited utility in MMA. Other aspects of wrestling have a big place in MMA; yet even the staple of wrestlers in MMA, GnP, isn't part of wrestling. I've always been a fan of American NCAA wrestlers in MMA. I agree with TS that the BJJ practioniers have claimed that they are greater technically from the beginning. It is easy to trace it back to the Gracies and UFC 1. It took years for them to admit that a 170 pound BJJ BB wouldn't beat a 230 pound Olympic level wrestler in MMA (very often.)

wow that's awesome, but guess what! Roger Gracie would choke all those wrestlers unconscious if they rolled.

You mean if they rolled in BJJ?

A fair test would be to get a BJJ guy and a wrestler to compete in an MMA competition. I would pick Lawal (King Mo) to represent wrestling.

I would pick Lawal to dominate Gracie in the aforementioned MMA bout and even out grapple him.

Why is there a misconception of the TS about the appropriate situations to use "their" or "there"? Is it because he's stupid? Or is it because he's gay?

Discuss.

Marcelo Garcia doesn't even do any S/C training to prepare for events, shouldn't that tell you something about the technicality of the sport?

This is a simple matter:

1- BJJ guys said it because they have been defeating wrestlers in challenges since the 1930s. Remember what Rickson did to Olympic gold medalist Mark Schultz. But it is a different standard, which brings us to point 2

2- There is NO comparison between the skill curve of the BJJ world and the wrestling world. Right now the sport is only growing and the bar is (relatively) so low that a person can become world black belt champion in 4-6 years of training.

4-6 years of wrestling training doesn't even get you into the US National team unless you were a phenomenal college standout, and even so it's just a chance to actually compete against the best in the world in the Olympics.

The talent pool in wrestling is much bigger, the sports has been set and built upon in terms of strategy for a long time now, there is no comparison.

Roger's skill relative to his peers is as great as a top wrestler towards his own. But you can apply that to anything. I am to my friends what Roger is to the black belts in the world. Does that mean that Roger and I are on the same level? Of course not. His pool is much bigger and more significant.

Same goes for wrestling. The wrestling pool is much bigger and more significant and the difference between Karelin and the millions of wrestlers worldwide is much steeper than Roger's and the that of those tens of thousands of BJJ practitioners out there.

So basically you agree with me, except for point 1.

BJJ guys beat wrestlers in a BJJ match. Great.

Why is there a misconception of the TS about the appropriate situations to use "their" or "there"? Is it because he's stupid? Or is it because he's gay?

Discuss.

Can you please point out where I made this mistake. I am leaning to believe its you who is confused.

BJJ guys beat wrestlers in no holds barred fights, not wrestling matches.

Dont take the bait DK.

GetHooked.jpg

:(

I doubt it very much. In no holds barred, wrestling is easily the most dangerous sport. You can take down a jiu jitsu man, sit in his gaurd and head butt him to death.

Oh wait here comes a one off from 40 years ago, forgetting every time a wrestler won. These days many wrestlers can do submissions anyway.

I doubt it very much. In no holds barred, wrestling is easily the most dangerous sport. You can take down a jiu jitsu man, sit in his gaurd and head butt him to death.

oh geezus!lol, who is this?

why is there a misconceptions among former wrestlers that jiu jitsu practitioners don't think wrestling is technical.

Oh wait here comes a one off from 40 years ago, forgetting every time a wrestler won. These days many wrestlers can do submissions anyway.

Must........resist........troll

The US team is shit anyway, except for Herbert and Dlagnev.

1. I am using my experience from both sports and from what I have seen to understand the different technical abilities involved in each sport. One interesting fact is that with limited Jiu Jitsu ability and with the use of my wrestling knowledge I have faired well against BJJ black belts (by well they couldn't tap me, sweep me and i got the take down).

2. Jiu Jitsu being fragmented basically makes it into some sort of backyard sport. I might host my own BJJ world championships, in fact we will have qualifiers, a standard set of rules and only one person can represent a nation at a weight class. My WC would be the most legit one haha.

3. gi and no gi is not comparable to freestyle and greco roman. If you put a gi on freestyle wrestlers and claimed there was now freestyle gi and freestyle no gi, that would be a much more accurate analogy.

1. okay... so since you've done both, if anything, you should be able to recognize how radically different the sports are. Your cross training makes your experience more subjective than the average person, but also shows you how the intent is different. You pinning the black belt didn't win you shit.

2. And I can make a wrestling tournament saying whoever wins is the world champion. I can do that.
Its whether or not the community disputes it and takes it seriously. Its basic post-modern philosophy... if the community doesn't agree with your rules and concepts, then your concepts only have meaning to you. No one else thinks you're the world champion if you win the tournament.
Thus, wrestling has more of what BJJ doesn't: Homogeny. MORE universal acceptance on rules. Does that make it more of a sport? By definition of the word sport: NO.

3. But that still means there is simply a different kind of style... Gi and Nogi jiu jitsu are just different 'sports' under the banner of Jiu Jitsu.

My point is, you're coming off arrogant because you're creating a criteria of judgement that no one else agrees with you on. If you're the only one that agrees with your criteria, how will anything constructive ever be done? It wont.
And like I said, its difficult to create that criteria because of the variables within the sports and of course, the personal experiences.

I would advice you check this out:
They're/their/there

I'm not sure that the Olympic status of wrestling has any bearing on how technical it is.

There are wrestling techniques. There are BJJ techniques. You better be really good at those techniques in either discipline if you want to compete at the highest levels...

Why do you have to play the grammar card? I would ADVISE (not ADVICE) you to consider that we're posting quickly on a sports website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back