Why is there a misconception among BJJ practitioners that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
to the OP...

you answered your own question. yes Roger Gracie isn't a meat head but guess what? he destroys other grapplers with his superior technique which just so happens to be BJJ.

you could go on and on with big name BJJ guys who dominate the sub grappling world (and also don't fit your mold of what a grappling athlete should look like) while you could probably count the wrestlers on two hands (and i'm not talking catch).

the submission aspect of BJJ makes it more technical than wrestling. you've not only got to worry about where you place your hands, arms, head, body, legs and feet but now you've also got to place them in a position that will put you in a dominate position and give your opponent no openings to submit you.

wrestlers are strong and have a great base i'll give them that, but unless they have picked up the technical intricacies of BJJ they are easily submitted.

to the OP...

you answered your own question. yes Roger Gracie isn't a meat head but guess what? he destroys other grapplers with his superior technique which just so happens to be BJJ.

you could go on and on with big name BJJ guys who dominate the sub grappling world (and also don't fit your mold of what a grappling athlete should look like) while you could probably count the wrestlers on two hands (and i'm not talking catch).

the submission aspect of BJJ makes it more technical than wrestling. you've not only got to worry about where you place your hands, arms, head, body, legs and feet but now you've also got to place them in a position that will put you in a dominate position and give your opponent no openings to submit you.

wrestlers are strong and have a great base i'll give them that, but unless they have picked up the technical intricacies of BJJ they are easily submitted.

But sub grappling is basically BJJ so of course it will favour a good BJJ guy. I would say a sport like sambo is the intermediary point between wrestling and BJJ.

The fact wrestlers have done well in sub grappling speaks volumes about wrestling. However no sub grappler has ever done well in wrestling. Not even close. This says more than enough.

I think submissions are relatively easy techniques to learn. Learning arms bars and chokes are quite simple techniques and then you just get more experienced at applying them.
I think takedowns and wrestling ground work to be more difficult to learn, hence why BJJ is becoming so popular because its an easy sport to pick up and do.

But sub grappling is basically BJJ so of course it will favour a good BJJ guy. I would say a sport like sambo is the intermediary point between wrestling and BJJ.

The fact wrestlers have done well in sub grappling speaks volumes about wrestling. However no sub grappler has ever done well in wrestling. Not even close. This says more than enough.

I think submissions are relatively easy techniques to learn. Learning arms bars and chokes are quite simple techniques and then you just get more experienced at applying them.
I think takedowns and wrestling ground work to be more difficult to learn, hence why BJJ is becoming so popular because its an easy sport to pick up and do.

Troll onwards my friend

I think it's less telling that you think. The fact that wrestlers do well in submission grappling is that their focus, take downs and top control, are taken into consideration by submission grappling scoring and actually count for something; whereas, most of the skills in BJJ are not recognized and rewarded by wrestling's scoring system.

Yes, you have take downs....but transitions to superior positions are not necessarily recognized and submissions are simply out.

It seems to me, then, that wrestlers doing well in submission grappling is just a reflection of the inclusive nature of it's scoring system rather than any uber greatness of wrestlers.

And if you think submissions are easy, then you don't really understand them yet. Plain and simply. They are exceedingly complex, especially the more a person knows about defending (or more importantly, avoiding) them.

I think it's less telling that you think. The fact that wrestlers do well in submission grappling is that their focus, take downs and top control, are taken into consideration by submission grappling scoring and actually count for something; whereas, most of the skills in BJJ are not recognized and rewarded by wrestling's scoring system.

Yes, you have take downs....but transitions to superior positions are not necessarily recognized and submissions are simply out.

It seems to me, then, that wrestlers doing well in submission grappling is just a reflection of the inclusive nature of it's scoring system rather than any uber greatness of wrestlers.

And if you think submissions are easy, then you don't really understand them yet. Plain and simply. They are exceedingly complex, especially the more a person knows about defending (or more importantly, avoiding) them.

Perhaps I am naive about how difficult you guys find them, since I have done submissions from childhood.

Submission grappling is not inclusive, you just start on your feet. haha.

All the take downs from BJJ are recognised in wrestling. So a lot of BJJ practitioners would have techniques they could score with in wrestling.

I have a question why doesn't Roger Gracie step up and fight King Mo, instead of middle aged wrestlers and men he is much bigger than?

I have a question why doesn't Roger Gracie step up and fight King Mo, instead of middle aged wrestlers and men he is much bigger than?

Why don't you step up and tell us what competitions you've won that are so great?

I already said. You only trained 10 months. I forgot more about grappling than you know.

So you're too much of a pussy to tell us? That's funny someone who has as much legitimate training as you claim to have is afraid to back up his bullshit?

I've been training 10 months, but I have more balls than you do posting my instructor and where I train.

So you're too much of a pussy to tell us? That's funny someone who has as much legitimate training as you claim to have is afraid to back up his bullshit?

I've been training 10 months, but I have more balls than you do posting my instructor and where I train.

I have won a shit load of grappling competitions.

I came bronze medal at student national championships for judo.

I am a national champion wrestler.

I am 3-0 in amateur mma.

I have won a shit load of grappling competitions.

I came bronze medal at student national championships for judo.

I am a national champion wrestler.

I am 3-0 in amateur mma.

Name some of the more prestigious ones you've won then.

So, are you saying that if Roger beats King Mo, you'll declare BJJ superior to wrestling?

First, you said that the only way to test which (wrestling, BJJ) is superior would be an MMA match. You also made the argument that wrestlers are currently blowing through the competition. Then, when guys provided solid examples of current top wrestlers being smashed by top BJJ fighters, you said that providing these examples is a weak argument because you can equally provide examples of wrestlers beating BJJ fighters. So which is it?

I like how he was reading this thread and ignored me telling him to post what competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back