Why is Johny Hendricks not being hyped up?

Hendricks has a very good shot at beating GSP most everyone knows this but again it is not like he is fighting Fitch or Kampman is it? This is GSP we're talking about and I just hope it is a great fight and I do see GSP winning this fight.

simple as this...

GSP reach 76" > Johnny's 69" reach
Georges jabs him to death on the feet same way Rory did vs Ellenberger 76.5" > 73"

Johny Hendricks is a collegiate wrestler, coming in at 200 pounds, with quick unorthodox striking with ridiculous power.

He has 4 top 10 wins over Fitch, Koscheck (Many people complain about the Kos fight, but many seem to forget Kos poking Hendricks in the eye during the first exchange in the first round), Kampmann, and Condit with an overall record of 15-1 (better wins than GSP's previous opponents). After his first 3 top 10 wins, people were proclaiming he wasn't good enough to fight GSP for the title.

Weidman had 2 top 10 wins over Munoz and Maia with an overall record of 9-0 yet he received a ridiculous amount of hype, with many proclaiming how deserving he is of a title shot.

Watch their interviews and the things they say, they are so identical it's a bit creepy, yet Hendricks gets no hype behind him while Weidman was touted as "the one to beat Silva"

Silva beat Sonnen, took time off, filled in for a short notice event against Bonnar, took him off, and then fought Weidman.

GSP beat Condit and then handpicked Nick Diaz, who was retired, coming off a loss, and had been suspended for his last fight (after Hendricks had racked up his 3rd top 10 win), and is now fighting Hendricks after Hendricks' 4th top 10 win (something previous contenders didn't do)

Yet, MMA media accused Anderson of ducking Weidman and hyped it to hell.

People were saying Anderson would lose due to Weidman's wrestling abilities and his past fights with Sonnen, with Sonnen nearly grinding him to a decision loss.

GSP was nearly finished by a head kick against Condit and was TKO'd by a fighter with a similar reach to Hendricks in his last loss, yet no one says Hendricks is the one to beat GSP even though he packs more power than anyone in the division and GSP has been susceptible to being clipped.

So, why isn't Hendricks getting much hype?

I stopped reading your thread here after noticing you did not even mention the pierce fight, which was hands down his closest fight to date.

IMO and a slight majority of the online judging communities opinion, Mike Pierce WON that fight.

Maybe that's why he's not getting the hype as you say...

I can't lie though, I really like his style match up with gsp. His natural power and improved stand up certainly make things interesting. But if Pierce, KOS, Grant (now at lw), and story could keep it compettive with the wrestling game, then I think gsp is gonna plow. gsp's mma wrestling > johnny's D1.

simple as this...

GSP reach 76" > Johnny's 69" reach
Georges jabs him to death on the feet same way Rory did vs Ellenberger 76.5" > 73"

Difference is that Hendricks will actually go for it and not just do nothing like Ellenberger.

Hendricks can close the distance very quickly, he had no problem doing that with Condit. I know ppl like to say all Johny did was wrestle but he lit Condit up in that first round, probably would have finished your normal person.

GSP is nearly unbeatable due to his athleticism and fight IQ. GSP will wear Hendricks down and win. Silva, on the other hand, was facing a very tough challenge in Wiedman (obviously).

GSP's fans are shitting on disregarding Hendricks much the same way Jones fans were shitting on Gus before their fight, or how many Anderson fans were saying Weidman didn't deserve to fight him, etc.

Johny is the last threat left to GSP in the division, and he has a very good chance of pulling off the upset. GSP knows how dangerous Johny is; if he was taking him as lightly as his acolytes are taking him, he'd have actually fought him back in March. But he didn't. He probably wanted as much time to prepare for him as possible, or was hoping he would get derailed in the meantime.

Johny Hendricks can beat GSP, and this thought is very unsettling to GSP fans, who take turns dumping on Johny to reassure themselves.

Difference is that Hendricks will actually go for it and not just do nothing like Ellenberger.

Hendricks can close the distance very quickly, he had no problem doing that with Condit. I know ppl like to say all Johny did was wrestle but he lit Condit up in that first round, probably would have finished your normal person.

No one else covers distances anything like the way GSP does, forward or backward. I don't think Johny is going to stop Georges from jabbing him into exhaustion and then taking him down at will for some ground n pound and the UD.
That being said - Johny is tough, hard to finish, and GSP has had a lot of difficulty finishing for a while now, so it would seem likely that GSP is going to have to risk five full rounds of getting clipped by that tank shell of a left Johny has. That's the only reason, to me, this fight is interesting. GSP likely has to outperform Johny for 25 minutes straight, while Johny doesn't need to be better than GSP. Not even for one full second. All he needs is that one punch, out of a 25 minute fight

Let me guess, you predicted Ellenberger wouldn't "go for it" before the fight?

When Hendricks gets shut down, and doesn't "go for it" like all of GSP's other opponents, what will your excuse be?

don't see anyone but Rory challenging GSP. GSP is going to put on a clinic. That one punch will never come close.

You're delusional if you don't think Hendricks is being hyped

and he deserves to be, he's a good fighter and a real threat to GSP

but I know what this is. you're trying to make a thread about this so that you can sneak in a rant about how arrogant GSP and his fans are. Then, if Johny wins, you can say GSP lost to a nobody and sucked, and if he loses, you'll say GSP beat a one dimensional nobody.

You so desperately want to see him lose don't you?

Edit: And please, stop trying to act like Weidman was all that hyped up, even with the belt around his waist he's still an underdog. In fact, that long stretch where you compare Weidman to Hendricks and GSP to Silva is pretty much superfluous and only done so that you can get as much hate out of your post as possible.

Last edited:
lets see what the beard can do...I think GSP gets another uneventful UD

Same here.....GSP will figure him out in 2 minutes of the first (he always does) and defend accordingly....He will nullify Hendricks' striking & take him down any fukin' time he feels like it....end of story.....but hey TS put a lot money on Hendricks...:icon_lol:

Just wait until Hendricks KOs GSP, then he will have hype. GSP should have retired before this fight instead of after.

Other than the 2 flash KO's...what is Johnny Hendricks?

The guy who lost to Rick Story? The guy who really lost to Koscheck? See the problem is if you flash KO somebody once then you are very dangerous. You do it twice, and no way people buy that you are really going to do it a 3rd time, to the champion. Even the Condit fight that was suppose to really hype him, only ended up making Condit a bigger star for getting to his feet so many times and not getting put away.

Other than the 2 flash KO's...what is Johnny Hendricks?

The guy who lost to Rick Story? The guy who really lost to Koscheck? See the problem is if you flash KO somebody once then you are very dangerous. You do it twice, and no way people buy that you are really going to do it a 3rd time, to the champion. Even the Condit fight that was suppose to really hype him, only ended up making Condit a bigger star for getting to his feet so many times and not getting put away.

a very good, hungry fighter

he should be a huge test for GSP

Back