Why is Johny Hendricks not being hyped up?

Other than the 2 flash KO's...what is Johnny Hendricks?

The guy who lost to Rick Story? The guy who really lost to Koscheck? See the problem is if you flash KO somebody once then you are very dangerous. You do it twice, and no way people buy that you are really going to do it a 3rd time, to the champion. Even the Condit fight that was suppose to really hype him, only ended up making Condit a bigger star for getting to his feet so many times and not getting put away.

You know you can do this anyone, right? Who is Condit? The guy that lost to Prater? Who is Kos? The guy that lost to Fickett? Who is Diaz? The guy that lost to Sanchez? Who is Shields? The guy that lost to Ray Cooper? Who is Hughes? The guy that lost twice to Hallman?

The Condit fight was supposed to hype him? Oh, so you are making things up now? He took that fight on short notice in hopes that it would guarantee him a title shot because after 3 top 10 wins, GSP still wouldn't give it to him.

You know you can do this anyone, right? Who is Condit? The guy that lost to Prater? Who is Kos? The guy that lost to Fickett? Who is Diaz? The guy that lost to Sanchez? Who is Shields? The guy that lost to Ray Cooper? Who is Hughes? The guy that lost twice to Hallman?

The Condit fight was supposed to hype him? Oh, so you are making things up now? He took that fight on short notice in hopes that it would guarantee him a title shot because after 3 top 10 wins, GSP still wouldn't give it to him.

Bravo.

I think Hendricks will beat GSP as he combines one punch KO power with great wrestling something GSP's never faced before. He might have a significant reach advantage but if he could get to Condit who has similar dimensions to GSP he can get to GSP too.

If that's all you remember those fighters for you are an idiot. Clearly the top fighters you tried to disrespect have outstanding achievements they are known for.

The question is why isn't Hendricks hyped up and the answer is because combined the fact that nobody believes he's going to 1 punch GSP in the first 20 seconds, he has done nothing else. You even admit he wasn't ready for a title shot before the Condit fight.

The casual fans always fall for the hype every time. GSP really is the cash king of the UFC.

If that's all you remember those fighters for you are an idiot. Clearly the top fighters you tried to disrespect have outstanding achievements they are known for.

The question is why isn't Hendricks hyped up and the answer is because combined the fact that nobody believes he's going to 1 punch GSP in the first 20 seconds, he has done nothing else. You even admit he wasn't ready for a title shot before the Condit fight.

The casual fans always fall for the hype every time. GSP really is the cash king of the UFC.

You're an idiot if that's all you remember from Hendricks.

He has more top 10 wins than any other contender GSP has fought, he has two knockouts in the first round, he's a legit wrestler, he's quick, uses angles, and has an iron chin. GSP hasn't fought anyone like Hendricks. When did I say that? I said he was ready for a title shot, but GSP wouldn't give it to him, so he had to beat Condit to look 'good enough' in GSP's eyes.

This isn't hype. The Diaz fight was pure hype along with the Shields fight.

You're an idiot if that's all you remember from Hendricks.

He has more top 10 wins than any other contender GSP has fought, he has two knockouts in the first round, he's a legit wrestler, he's quick, uses angles, and has an iron chin. GSP hasn't fought anyone like Hendricks. When did I say that? I said he was ready for a title shot, but GSP wouldn't give it to him, so he had to beat Condit to look 'good enough' in GSP's eyes.

This isn't hype. The Diaz fight was pure hype along with the Shields fight.

Diaz maybe, but Shields had beaten Menne, Condit, Lawler, Hendo, Mayhem, Kampmann and Nick Thompson coming into that fight

that's not hype, that's achievement and since Hendo, Lawler, Kampmann, Thompson were all top 10 when he beat them, that's an equal amount of top 10 wins to JH (although two were at MW). You're dumb if you think that's hype

edit: actually... Hendricks was the most deserving, but quite a few people wanted to see Diaz fight GSP anyhow

http://www.sherdog.com/blog/Poll-Nick-Diaz-as-No-1-Contender-47883
http://www.sherdog.com/blog/Poll-GSPs-Greatest-Threat-43395 (this is before Hendricks beat Kampmann and Condit though)

GSP wanted Diaz's name on his resume; Diaz wouldn't play ball and try to work his way back to contention legitimately, so they unfortunately shaft the true #1 contender (who has his title shot now, right?) to get him.

Last edited:
cuz he barely got by Kos and Mike Pierce. His standup is sloppy looking nonsense with huge power. He punches with his left hand only about 90% of the time and he doesnt use his wrestling well in conjunction with his striking.

What he does do well is cover alot of distance and surprise ppl. Def a powerful guy but i just cant get excited about him, watching his standup honestly hurts my eyes. Kind of like Hendo. Both are effective with it tho so i guess im just a hater.

hes really good at winning fights...

but not an amazing fighter.

lol, tell us more with your Diaz AV and sig. He was good enough to retire your man crush.

And Hendricks's not getting hyped because other than Steinel, no one here really likes him.

It's getting pretty hard to honestly hype anyone against GSP. Hendricks is going to bring exactly what KOS brought to GSP.

The only hope Hendricks has is another flash KO. Look at JDS. Flash KOed Velasquez, but got beaten badly in the rematch. I think most would agree that Velasquez is the better fighter - JDS just happened to win the first time with a flash KO. JDS didn't need to be better - he just needed to connect once, and that's really the only chance Hendricks has.

Even if he does flash KO GSP, it will be hard for me to look at him as the "better" fighter.

I feel like this fight is going to be the same as GSP vs Kos, so I'm not that hyped for it.

Weidman was a great wrestler with great jiu-jitsu and good striking

Hendricks is a good wrestler with one effective punch

also since when is spamming lefts considered "unorthodox" instead of shit

He closes that distance so quickly though, guys know it is coming, but it happens before they can react.

I think people are so used to Gsp winning so convincingly that people don't expect any challenge. People see this as Gsp vs. Kos 3, which it isn't. Gsp 60/40 for me, Hendricks can land that punch, can wrestle like an OSU national champ, and will be in tremendous shape for this one. That Condit fight was a growth experience for him having to overcome a broken hand early in a 5 round against a very badass dude.

He has had some good luck winning all three vs Koscheck, Pierce and Condit. At score time I had expected at least one of those fights to have gone to the other way.

I like Hendricks as a person. He seems very nice and personable, the kind of guy that would be an awesome neighbor... That being said. He is not at a level where he can sustain the championship of the UFC welterweight division. He may even beat GSP, but I would wager he lost the belt in 1-2 fights.

I'm pretty sure people gave GSP hell for choosing to fight Diaz instead of Hendricks. I know I did. I also think that Hendricks has a real chance against GSP. Hendricks is on one of the best runs in MMA, period, and is maybe the most deserving contender (in terms of recent resume) in the history of the UFC. The problem with this thread is that your whole view of these events is warped. I'd say that Weidman was a bigger, more obvious threat than Hendricks is because GSP doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses, whereas most people recognized that Silva was at least a little prone to languishing on his back.

Hype? What is that?

TV ads? UFC has a dozen fights to advertise before that one.

Back