Why is Johny Hendricks not being hyped up?

He's not good stylistically. I gave weidman a good chance because he fit right into Silva's one weakness. GSP doesn't really have a weakness, but if Hendricks was like a bigger version of prime BJ, amazing TDD on top of his striking, there would be more hype. Right now almost everyone expects GSP to control distance and take him down more or less at will.

I think they are overhyping Hendricks too much.

Realistically his only chance is a Hail Mary KO.

We all know GSP is going to finish him.

I think it's because enough people know him. He had a huge fight with Condit, KO'd Kampmann, beat Kos. He's had more exposure. Weidman didn't have as big of wins, not down playing what he's accomplished, just stating the facts.

Because he arguably lost to Condit, and had a toss up fight Koscheck not to mention all of his previous razor close fights.

This is a guy with unimpressive footwork who got out grappled by Rick Story. I wonder what GSP is aiming to do in the fight. hmmmm hmmmm He has a good shot but people don't see a reason to be excited for a 5 round fight of GSP controlling him which is what most people feel is going to happen.

Because he arguably lost to Condit, and had a toss up fight Koscheck not to mention all of his previous razor close fights.

This is a guy with unimpressive footwork who got out grappled by Rick Story. I wonder what GSP is aiming to do in the fight. hmmmm hmmmm He has a good shot but people don't see a reason to be excited for a 5 round fight of GSP controlling him which is what most people feel is going to happen.

I gave Kos the nod, but no way did Condit beat him, even with a busted hand Hendricks won that fight. As for the story fight, so what, that was 3 years ago, which is a long time in MMA, especially for a guy who is learning, and it isn't like story sucked back then, he beat Thiago Alves soon after that.

The bottom line is that he has been in there with tough grapplers, story, pierce and Kos are tough fights, and Kos was very tough for GSP the first time. Hendricks has had to improve his striking because of it, and he has knocked out some top guys along the way. In the Condit fight, Hendricks was landing, and he looked fast, and powerful, he will be the best athlete GSP has been in there with in quite a while, and that power is a real threat to GSP, it isn't the same as Kos's fastball punch.

This fight will end in a 5 round unanimous decision for GSP. You can count on the fact that Georges and his trainers have already figured out every possible setup Hendricks is going to try to land that left hand of his with, and it's not going to be a huge factor during the fight.

In the end, people are going to be frustrated by the fact that GSP won't give Hendricks a single opportunity to plant his feet to properly launch his left hand, and instead, with feints and level changes, will keep Hendricks on his toes and unable to mount any significant offense without getting instantly taken down.

TBH it's because of GSP. He's too good. With Silva Weidman was hyped but everybody at that point already knew Silva's weakness....people don't know GSP's weakness so it negates any type of hype..

GSP needs to avoid that big haymaker for two rounds

That's it.

You know you can do this anyone, right? Who is Condit? The guy that lost to Prater? Who is Kos? The guy that lost to Fickett? Who is Diaz? The guy that lost to Sanchez? Who is Shields? The guy that lost to Ray Cooper? Who is Hughes? The guy that lost twice to Hallman?

The Condit fight was supposed to hype him? Oh, so you are making things up now? He took that fight on short notice in hopes that it would guarantee him a title shot because after 3 top 10 wins, GSP still wouldn't give it to him.

You didn't even know who Hendricks was prior to him being announced vs GSP .
then you jumped into the bandwagon .
Who will you use to bash GSP once Hendricks has been exposed as not the one that will take the crown ?

T'es un imb

I gave Kos the nod, but no way did Condit beat him, even with a busted hand Hendricks won that fight. As for the story fight, so what, that was 3 years ago, which is a long time in MMA, especially for a guy who is learning, and it isn't like story sucked back then, he beat Thiago Alves soon after that.

The bottom line is that he has been in there with tough grapplers, story, pierce and Kos are tough fights, and Kos was very tough for GSP the first time. Hendricks has had to improve his striking because of it, and he has knocked out some top guys along the way. In the Condit fight, Hendricks was landing, and he looked fast, and powerful, he will be the best athlete GSP has been in there with in quite a while, and that power is a real threat to GSP, it isn't the same as Kos's fastball punch.

For serious?

Johny Hendricks.....with quick unorthodox striking with ridiculous power.

I don't know if a one-dimensional southpaw puncher is unorthodox. :icon_neut
He has insane power in his left hand but it really ends there, nothing else to write home about in the striking. Hardy & Condit were far better strikers.

I think a lot of people see him as another Hughes/Shields/Kos/insert NCAA elite wrestler who got handled by GSP.

Hendricks is a good wrestler with one effective punch

also since when is spamming lefts considered "unorthodox" instead of shit
Absolutely agreed. It's pretty strange to me that people think Hendricks has any sort of striking game whatsoever beyond the left hand just because Fitch and Kampmann weren't smart enough to merely take a step to their left :icon_lol:

People are gonna bring up the fact that he managed to drop that hand on Condit a good few times, but Condit's hands are easily the worst part of his game (he leaves himself open after combos too much) and Hendricks very deliberately waited for Condit to expose his chin after punching before lunging in (good strategy, except he gassed out then literally only won that fight because of takedown spam + Condit's poor TDD).

I'm not a fan of either fighter, but for me, I just don't really see how Hendricks isn't anything more than a southpaw Koscheck minus the seeming inability to make a fist with his lead hand. Power =/= skill, tactics, technique, etc. Personally, I give Hendricks a 10% chance for victory-- 5% for a puncher's chance and 5% for the Serra Factor™.

Last edited:
OP is right about Hendricks should be hyped a lot more, but OP is also stupid for saying GSP is susceptible to being clipped. He was clipped what, twice his entire career of fighting the very best? The 1st Serra fight was just a result of not taking the fight seriously, as we saw what happened when GSP is on his game in the rematch. Condit is a killer, and he hit GSP with a headkick he didn't see coming, but recovered well.

I believe Hendricks has a 50% chance of catching GSP, and those are some big odds considering how dominant GSP is. Hendricks has the most punching power than anyone I've ever seen in MMA, and yea he IS well rounded with excellent wrestling and endurance.

Worst possible matchup for GSP IMO.

Styles make fights.

Weidman got hype because he was the first young, hungry, well rounded wrestler to face Silva in... forever? Also Weidman had the reach advantage and I think was the same height.

Also many thought that Sonnen laid the blueprint on how to beat Silva in a fight where he was 1 round away from losing (rib injuries aside and all that jazz).

GSP doesn't seemingly have a stylistic weakness and generally eats high level wrestlers for breakfast. We've seen Hendricks out wrestled before and on top of that Hendricks has (while unorthodox) pretty predictable striking, and a reach disadvantage.

Not to mention that GSP's style revolves around Schaubmissioning guys and generally shutting them down. He doesn't showboat or take as many calculated risks as Anderson... and he isn't pushing 40 like Anderson either.

Are those enough reasons for you?

if UFC hypes him sherdoggers complain about the 'hype trane'

if they don't, sherdoggers complain that he isn't getting hyped.

thank you, TS, for presenting the facts so cleanly. all readers should remember this; no matter what happens, someone is complaining. in fact, it's so bad, potentially legit complaints are now lost, in the "boy crying wolf" noise.

my guess is he gets handled readily. i've been wrong before. many times.

Because people considered Weidman as a stylistic nightmare for Anderson while Hendricks' isn't for GSP.

I'm not counting him out though. The guy has ridiculous power and GSP needs to be 100% focused else he could be put to sleep.

There's been a lot of other events going on Hendricks will get hype in the coming weeks, it's not like we've had a ton of GSP coverage either. One event at a time.

Back