Why is it the onus on Jones to move up to HW

KR811**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why can't other HWs move down like DC to fight him?

They might.

The reason why the onus is on him is because he has cleared out his division. After Gus and MAYBE AJ, there is literally no one left to even think for a second they have a chance to beat Jones. Anyone who pays for his fights after that are just hoping to see some miraculous upset.

He'll move up because he's bored and because his PPV sales will plummet. Few people are going to buy a card headlined by Jones vs Davis, or Jones vs Rashad II.

Cause the haters said so. Your suggestion is equally as dumb.

Because it makes more sense that way. Also, some HWs can't (or shouldn't) cut to 205.

Watch Cain move down.

Seriously, he wouldn't. But he probably could.

Edit; and wtf does "onus" mean?

Because historically in combat sports it is much more common for guys to move up in weight to challenge champions in heavier divisions than it is for a champ in a heavier division to move down.

rather have him stay at LHW and set new records on everything!!

There is NO onus on Jon to move anywhere regardless of how much Bones haters attempt to make it so.

Get F'ing real haters, the real onus is on the fighter making less money to sacrifice to make a fight against a fighter in another weightclass where there financial compensation will increase.

GD I 100% truly believe that Sherdog posters really are the most metally deficient combat sports fans on planet earth by far.

GD A-hats, why is it Floyd Mayweathers onus to move up to fight Gennedy Glovokin? Same GD MFing situation you tards.

Gennedy make 10x more in a fight with Money than he would have made in his career to date. He would be dangerous of course to Floyd.

Gennady wants the payday of a lifetime, it is HIS onus to cut the weight!

Hope I explained it kiddies! You are welcome. (from and adult)

Definitely easier for a 222lb man to bulk up to 232lbs and fight as a HW than it is for a 245lb man to lose 20lbs of real weight and then cut an additional 20lb, no?

Because it's always up to the lighter opponent to move up, just look at rhonda and cyborg... Oh wait.

Becuase he's called the lbs for lbs best fighter in the world! He's not but he walks around at what 230 and there are a bunch of heavyweights right there! He eeked by gustafson and the whole notion he killed dc is laughable! He's great don't get me wrong definite hall of famer! Don't think any former champs could beat him but gustafson rumble and dc are all right on his heels! Would it be that insane for gustafson to beat him twice? No I don't think it would be! Or rumble to ko him? I don't think it would be if he makes it through gustafson II and beats rumble I think heavy weight fights agaisnt cain or werdum are in order! Barring some unknown guy coming out the wood work he'd have beaten the division at that point! Even though I hate him it'd be behooving for him cuz if he beat those guys at hwt I'd really have no argument nor and objection of calling him the greatest to ever do it! It'd hurt to say it but it'd be true

Jones win so people want...

Jones to move up

and DC to move down

yet both fine at LHW

Because it's always up to the lighter opponent to move up, just look at rhonda and cyborg... Oh wait.

It's basically up to the fighter that calls a fighter from a different weightclass out to make the move. Simple as that.

Those wanting Jones (aka GOAT) to move to HW are pretty much upset Gus fans who know that as long as GOAT is there, Gus ain't getting that belt.

It's hard for guys that aren't used to cutting weight. Heavyweights basically don't have to worry about cutting, so that completely changes the game for them. Jones frame is made for heavyweight and after he adds the bulk he needs, he basically just has to maintain that. He'd have a much easier time I think at HW in terms of training and prep.

I'm also of the mind that HW is the pinnacle in terms of prestige, so it doesn't seem right for the HW champ to move down to face a fighter, even the LHW champ, at a smaller weight class.

Old reason: So he can get smashed by people who are as big as him.

- This was my thinking before he fought Cormier.

New reason: He is one of the greatest fighters of all time. I want to see him fight these bigger fighters to see how many he can take out. He may have the tools to win gold at the HW level.

- This is my thinking after watching him beat Shogun, Rashad, Rampage, Gus and now Cormier. He is just the best fighter in the UFC right now and I am not betting against him anymore.

Note: I have hated him since he beat Shogun, but after the Cormier fight I am giving up on the hate. He's just one of the all time GOATs and now I want to see him tackle new challenges.

The onus is on him because he keeps name dropping heavyweights in interviews i.e Cain,Werdum

Back