• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why is it sacrilegious to put steak sauce on a cooked steak or ketchup on fried eggs?

i wonder if a medium rare steak tastes better than the shit coming out of an elephants asshole.

but im not in a position to say because i've never had elephant shit.

Add it to your bucket list.

Some people like Kopi Luwak coffee. Go figure.

Wait, that should say " you're going to be less likely to experiment"

I'm not trolling at all. If you only want to have steak one way and have never tried it any other way it probably means you don't have access to a lot of steak. Go buy 12 steaks. By the 4th or 5th one you're going to want to do different things with it. Maybe a spice rub, maybe a sauce, maybe boil the thing.

See you don't actually beleive any of this. You're just arguing for the sake or arguing.

See you don't actually beleive any of this. You're just arguing for the sake or arguing.

Yeah, boil it. Or simmer it. That may lead you to putting it in a plastic bag and simmering it at a controlled temperature for even cooking. Then you can sear it for textural contrast. But if all you had ever done was stick it in a pan because steak is so rare and precious you'd never think to do that.

Wait, that should say " you're going to be less likely to experiment"

I'm not trolling at all. If you only want to have steak one way and have never tried it any other way it probably means you don't have access to a lot of steak. Go buy 12 steaks. By the 4th or 5th one you're going to want to do different things with it. Maybe a spice rub, maybe a sauce, maybe boil the thing.

Someone's pager just went off.

Yeah, boil it. Or simmer it. That may lead you to putting it in a plastic bag and simmering it at a controlled temperature for even cooking. Then you can sear it for textural contrast. But if all you had ever done was stick it in a pan because steak is so rare and precious you'd never think to do that.

why would boiling something lead to sous videing something?

no one who understands cooking would boil a tender piece of meat. The idea behind sous vide is miles away from boiling. You're relating the two just because share a commonality in the use of one of the most abundant resources on the planet..

Boiled steak....mmmmmmmmmm.
homerdrool.png

I appreciate what you're trying to do but you're not going to flip the script on this one. I get the angle "You must be poor if you think steak is precious" but at the end of the day there is a right way to cook a steak. No ifs, ands or buts.

omfg boiled steak is the best!

I appreciate what you're trying to do but you're not going to flip the script on this one. I get the angle "You must be poor if you think steak is precious" but at the end of the day there is a right way to cook a steak. No ifs, ands or buts.

The script has already been flipped. There are lots of ways to cook steak. You like cheesesteaks? Some people would think it horrendous to slice a ribeye very thin, quickly cook it on a griddle, and then slather it in cheese whiz and onions. But I like cheese steaks as well as ribeye steak.

theres only one way to skin a cat, other than that other way

The script has already been flipped. There are lots of ways to cook steak. You like cheesesteaks? Some people would think it horrendous to slice a ribeye very thin, quickly cook it on a griddle, and then slather it in cheese whiz and onions. But I like cheese steaks as well as ribeye steak.

That is disgusting.

That is disgusting.

How are you from Philly and not know of what they put on cheese steaks? You know what else you can do with a ribeye? Not cut it into steaks and roast it whole. Now you have prime rib. I like prime rib with au jus and horseradish. Or you can not roast and put it in a smoker. Now you have smoked prime rib. People like that too.

There certainly is more than one acceptable way to cook a steak.

boiling it is not one of them.

is boiled steak a canadian thing? like bags of milk?

no. its not a thing. theres only one person in the world that ridiculous.

All four of my boys ask for steak sauce drives me crazy but if it gets them trying new things they normally do not, no harm. Once they get older and know the difference is a different story.

For me personally medium rare with salt and pepper, anything else on it and im...

How are you from Philly and not know of what they put on cheese steaks? You know what else you can do with a ribeye? Not cut it into steaks and roast it whole. Now you have prime rib. I like prime rib with au jus and horseradish. Or you can not roast and put it in a smoker. Now you have smoked prime rib. People like that too.

Only heathens use whiz on a steak. Sophistcated Philadelphians like myself use American or Provolone.

why would boiling something lead to sous videing something?

no one who understands cooking would boil a tender piece of meat. The idea behind sous vide is miles away from boiling. You're relating the two just because share a commonality in the use of one of the most abundant resources on the planet..

Of course they share commonality. Water is good at temperature controlling. If you boil and simmer meat you get soup or stew. But if you don't want a steak served in soup or stew you have to find out how to protect it from the water.

I'm not going to hold it against a guy if he wants to boil his 8th steak. In fact he's really awesome if he slices it thin like for cheese steaks, but instead boils it quickly in a broth with vegetables and eats it with rice with some ponzu sauce and sesame sauce. Shabu shabu.

Back