Why is Cain Velasquez ranked above Demetrious Johnson in P4P rankings?

JustinvR

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
These are the P4P rankings on the UFC website:

1 Jon Jones
2 Jose Aldo
3 Renan Barao
4 Cain Velasquez
5 Demetrious Johnson
6 Chris Weidman
7 Anderson Silva
8 Anthony Pettis
9 Johny Hendricks
10 Ronda Rousey

Am i the only one who thinks it is weird that Cain is ranked above DJ in the P4P rankings? Especially since smaller fighters have an advantage in the P4P rankings.

DJ has 3 defenses(1 Dec, 1 Sub and 1 KO), is undefeated at 125, has faced 4 different opponents in his 5 last fights while Cain has 2 defenses(2 TKO's), has lost at HW, has faced 2 different opponents in his last 5 fights.

So can anyone tell me why Cain should be ranked above DJ?

Interchangable, imo. Would put Johnson over him on my own P4P.

p4p rankings are dumb enough on their own without worrying about how the UFC ranks it

I agree he should be ahead of Cain, but behind Weidman.

Wasn't that long ago DJ had a draw with McCall that could be argued he lost. Not to mention he nearly lost to Dodson.

The quality of his opponents and depth of his division probably have something to do with it.

You dont understand p4p. No one has an advantage. If MM was 6'1 240lbs with the same skillset that he has at 125lb, would he beat cain? No

Because rankings don't matter

Who gives a shit? All said and done, Cain Velasquez is the best fighter on the planet

The quality of his opponents and depth of his division probably have something to do with it.

Benavidez is pretty legit.

Benavidez is basically the equivalent of a 125 JDS (in that he's the 2nd best fighter in the division, but won't be fighting for the crown since he's lost twice to the champ and is now in gatekeeper limbo).

because he's a bigger draw.

Because rankings don't matter

Is there a single thread about p4p rankings that you haven't made this exact post on the first page of?

It's like your Emjay senses tingle when someone makes a p4p thread.

Not bashing, I'm impressed.

because whoever non-fighter working in a cubical at UFC headquaters feels that DJ couldnt beat Cain if Cain was 5'4 125 or at a fight in which DJ was 6ft 240.

Purely subjective.

Everybody is entitled to their own here is my updated rankings due to Pokegate scandal

Demetrious Johnson
Jose Aldo
Ronda Rousey
Renan Barao
JBJ
Cain

You dont understand p4p. No one has an advantage. If MM was 6'1 240lbs with the same skillset that he has at 125lb, would he beat cain? No

I think he would. DJ is extremely well-rounded, very technical, very fast striking and takedowns, great wrestling, good ground game. If he would have the same skillset at 240lbs that he has at 125lbs, he'd absolutely beat Cain IMO.

My vision of P4P is if 2 fighters would meet somewhere in the middle, like one fighter is scaled down and the other is scaled up. Not if Cain was a FLW or MM was a HW, but rather at welterweight in this case. and in that scenario the smaller fighter would beat the bigger fighter a lot of times, since they have the better skillset on average.

Is there a single thread about p4p rankings that you haven't made this exact post on the first page of?

It's like your Emjay senses tingle when someone makes a p4p thread.

Not bashing, I'm impressed.

I don't always make it on the first page

You could put Cain at Number 1. He's dominated every fight except for 1. Hardly gets touched.

j.jpg

Back