Why is boxing technique so bad in mma

The idea that Cigano is one of the UFC's best "boxers" is a testament to how weak the skillset is in the sport.

JDS isn’t an elite boxer, but he was pretty good on top of being huge, fast and powerful as shit.

it actually emphasizes your point, that guy with just a little bit of boxing ability (and some athleticism) over his opponents can dominate and knock them clean out in this sport, so long as they can stay up

Tbf if you look through a critical lens you will find plenty of technical flaws in HW boxing too. Just look at Wilder ffs.

Also MMA is just a different game. The kicks, the wrestling, the small gloves.

try keeping the same footwork/guard when you need to be ready to grab underhooks in a split second if a guy shoots on you.

Essentially most of mma is made up of mma wrestlers who dont have a chance to go pro.

if you are good at boxing you just go into boxing.

Tbf if you look through a critical lens you will find plenty of technical flaws in HW boxing too. Just look at Wilder ffs.

Also MMA is just a different game. The kicks, the wrestling, the small gloves.

Wilders jab alone makes him look like Albert Einstein compared to most UFC HWs

Give him 1-2 more years and hes better than Ali

Wilders jab alone makes him look like Albert Einstein compared to most UFC HWs

Give him 1-2 more years and hes better than Ali
1-2 years and better than Ali? Love me some Wilder but that's absurd bro.

1-2 years and better than Ali? Love me some Wilder but that's absurd bro.

source.gif

Junior is supposedly an elite boxer but had his left hand low when he tried to uppercut making blade catch him with the right.

I see this sloppiness all the time causing people to get ktfo in the ufc.

How hard is it to keep to focus on the basics?
Kid, when you start learning MMA, your first class they will teach you that MMA is not boxing.
Junior had his hands low because he was fighting someone who has good takedowns and GnP.
The hands were lower to protect against abovementioned takedowns.

That's exactly how Khabib almost took Conor's head off.

Boxing technique is very valuable. Its why both guys train it.

It’s a common mistake in boxing as well...

A few weeks ago Hart fought Smith and made that mistake A LOT, and Hart was top 10 in the alphabet organizations.

One instance that really stands out was Tarver/Hopkins (since it won me a lot of money betting with coworkers who thought Hopkins was done)...

tumblr_inline_oj6lhygcX51triya3_500.gif

IMO a major component needed to be added to all boxing in mma is a Greco oriented clinch game

If you use traditional boxing tactics in an mma fight you will get fucked up most of the time. They’re different sports with different considerations.

Back