Why is BJ Penn called the Prodigy?

That level of achievement is rare in the Sport of BJJ, much less MMA.

Blue beating blue? Not that impressive IMO
Okay well I hate to be that guy but your opinion is uninformed. You don't compete at the Mundials if you're some chump. A blue belt at the Mundials is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY from a blue belt at a regional tourney. That's like discounting the FILA Junior World Championships, when those are one of the most prestigious tournaments in all of Wrestling, solely because the competitors are limited to 18-20 year olds.

He was also a brown belt by 1999, after winning silver as a blue belt in 1998... which, again, is unheard of.

I can't tell if you're serious, but the Mundials has different divisions, all the way down to blue belt. So, as a blue belt, BJ Penn won a silver medal in the Mundials blue belt division with one year of training.

Thanks for the insight
One year in a dojo

Okay well I hate to be that guy but your opinion is uninformed. You don't compete at the Mundials if you're some chump. A blue belt at the Mundials is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY from a blue belt at a regional tourney. That's like discounting the FILA Junior World Championships, when those are one of the most prestigious tournaments in all of Wrestling, solely because the competitors are limited to 18-20 year olds.

He was also a brown belt by 1999, after winning silver as a blue belt in 1998... which, again, is unheard of.

I get it, thanks

Was he beating black belts? Source please

Don't know if you are that thick, or just trolling. Nobody ever said he beat black belts in competition as a blue belt. Blue belts compete against blue belts. Meaning after a year of training he was competing against some people who had been training for 2, 3 or maybe even 6 years. That's still pretty badass.

Don't know if you are that thick, or just trolling. Nobody ever said he beat black belts in competition as a blue belt. Blue belts compete against blue belts. Meaning after a year of training he was competing against some people who had been training for 2, 3 or maybe even 6 years. That's still pretty badass.

6 years and still a blue belt.

I get it, thanks
Sure, I just find it confusing that you seem to be waving off achievements which are quite impressive by any standard and going, "that's it?" when nobody in MMA or BJJ (to my knowledge) can claim the same.

The hawaian assassin it's way better.

Sure, I just find it confusing that you seem to be waving off achievements which are quite impressive by any standard and going, "that's it?" when nobody in MMA or BJJ (to my knowledge) can claim the same.

Not waiving them off. I'm trying to find some more impressive stories

Not waiving them off. I'm trying to find more impressive stories

Dude, medaling at the biggest BJJ tourneys after one year of training is INSANE.

Have you really grappled? Unless someone has a good grappling background or are a freakish athlete, their first year they are pretty useless against any blue belt. That's just an average blue belt, they are nothing but a paperweight to any competition medalist blue belt.

Then when you get to the 1%ers, the international competition blue belts (who can beat most regular level purple belts), you are talking about guys who can tap you out with their eyes shut. These are blue belts that could compete at local brown and even sometimes black level competitions.

I don't know TS. All I remember is Baby Jay saying something in the promo leading up to the Rory Mac fight about will see who the real prodigy is.

You saw what happened. Everyone saw what happened.

Dude, medaling at the biggest BJJ tourneys after one year of training is INSANE.

Have you really grappled? Unless someone has a good grappling background or are a freakish athlete, their first year they are pretty useless against any blue belt. That's just an average blue belt, they are nothing but a paperweight to any competition medalist blue belt.

Then when you get to the 1%ers, the international competition blue belts (who can beat most regular level purple belts), you are talking about guys who can tap you out with their eyes shut. These are blue belts that could compete at local brown and even sometimes black level competitions.

I'd like to see that, insane blue belts going against brown or blacks in a tourney

He won a few small time grappling tournaments back in the dark ages when no one knew what BJJ was.

Why they call Matt Brown The Immortal? He can still be died

He founded an internet portal service back in the day. He made millions, sold the company (called Prodigy) and got into the fight game.

True story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back