Why is BJ Penn called the Prodigy?

Also I think this flexibility helped the legend grow
3453957160_92fb42858f_o.gif

fucking awesome gif.

Not only the grappling achievements. But he came over to MMA and in his second and third fights he knocked two top 5 fighters the fuck out.

seriously? Joe mentions why every friggin' BJ fight. Even the UFC video game lists off the reasons.

Because he started training bjj in 1997 and then won a silver medal in the blue belt division of the IBJJF Worlds in 1998. He won a bronze in the brown belt division in 1999, and gold as a black belt in 2000.

"The Prodigy", because BJ Penn is/was one of the p4p best and most Skilled fighters in MMA History.

Thank you all for posting. Except for the angry people.
Really appreciate it.

Not only the grappling achievements. But he came over to MMA and in his second and third fights he knocked two top 5 fighters the fuck out.
Yep, one of the best BJJ'ers in mma (especially in the US, at that time)... and he knocked people the FUCK OUT!

For a while BJ was the most accredited BJJ practitioner in all of North America, easily.

I think it's a little bit misleading, the whole "earned his bb in 3 years" thing. His brother was training before that, and BJ would roll with him all the time. Maybe he first paid dojo fees formally and got a blackbelt 3 years after, which is still damn impressive, but its not like he was a total noob when he first stepped on the mats from what I understand.
What is not misleading is the fact that BJ medaled at a world-class level in jiujitsu, after one year of training. BJ did not "just" get his black belt in 3 years: he medaled at the IBJFF Worlds each year he trained until he had his black belt.

That is almost unheard of.

[YT]ukCPOzq43Rs[/YT]

i've heard people saying he beat black belts and won mundials as a blue belt. Which is not true. Yeah he won yeah, and that is impressive. But he was a a black belt when he won.
I understand your usename is "dontreallycare", but BJ won a silver medal in the Mundials, as a blue belt, with one year of training.

Nobody does that.

I'm a white belt. Say I get my blue belt in 6 months. I'll probably start thinking about competing in regional tourneys, and BJ was in the Mundials at the highest levels of BJJ in the same amount of time training.

That is legitimately shocking.

I understand your usename is "dontreallycare", but BJ won a silver medal in the Mundials, as a blue belt, with one year of training.

Nobody does that.

I'm a white belt. Say I get my blue belt in 6 months. I'll probably start thinking about competing in regional tourneys, and BJ was in the Mundials at the highest levels of BJJ in the same amount of time training.

And a blue belt in 6 months is SUPER fast at most gyms.

The gym I rolled at, it took most 2+ years to get a blue belt.

1 out of 20 get their blue belt.
1 out of 20 blue belts get their purple.
1 out of 20 purples get their brown
1 out of 10 browns get their black

1 out of 400 new sign-ups will make it to purple belt. Think about that.

Nobody does that.

Was he beating black belts? Source please

Nobody does that.

As a blue belt?

It does not matter whether he was beating black belts. Fighting someone beyond your rank in BJJ doesn't really happen, and anyone who competes at the Mundials is a world-class grappler, whether they be a blue belt or a black belt. This means that BJ Penn was beating world-class blue belts to earn second place in the tournament with one year of training, which is amazing.

All this information is well-documented. Just read his Wiki article and it will include his actual medal record.

I can't tell if you're serious, but the Mundials has different divisions, all the way down to blue belt. So, as a blue belt, BJ Penn won a silver medal in the Mundials blue belt division with one year of training.

It does not matter whether he was beating black belts. Fighting someone beyond your rank in BJJ doesn't really happen, and anyone who competes at the Mundials is a world-class grappler, whether they be a blue belt or a black belt. This means that BJ Penn was beating world-class blue belts to earn second place in the tournament with one year of training, which is amazing.

All this information is well-documented. Just read his Wiki article and it will include his actual medal record.

Blue beating blue? Not that impressive IMO

Back