Why is BJ Penn called the Prodigy?

dontreallycare

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
i've heard people saying he beat black belts and won mundials as a blue belt. Which is not true. Yeah he won yeah, and that is impressive. But he was a black belt when he won.

Also people posting videos of him demolishing judo guys as a white belt. But when he beat those judo black belts, he was not a bjj white belt, he looked closer to a purple belt. He just had to wear the judo white belt. Of course he would school those guys.

I would like facts.
What are his most impressive accomplishments as a Bjj Practitioner?

Post videos if you can.

And fuck all you angry nerds

Thanks

Last edited:
i've heard people saying he beat black belts and won mundials as a blue belt. Which is not true. Yeah he won yeah, and that is impressive. But he was a a black belt when he won.

Also people posting videos of him demolishing judo guys as a white belt. But when he beat those judo black belts, he was not a bjj white belt, he looked closer to a purple belt. He just had to wear the judo white belt. Of course he would school those guys.

I would like facts.

Post videos if you can

Thanks

From Wiki:

The Prodigy originates prior to him competing in mixed martial arts, from accomplishing his extraordinary feat in the sport of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (earning his black belt in under 3 years and winning the black belt division in the World Jiu-Jitsu Championship only three weeks later).[100][101]

The 3 years to get his bb is what I had always heard as the reason.

It's just the BB in 3 years and winning the mundials, nothing more.

This question required a thread. It's never been answered before.

i've heard people saying he beat black belts and won mundials as a blue belt. Which is not true. Yeah he won yeah, and that is impressive. But he was a a black belt when he won.

I would like facts.

Post videos if you can

Thanks

Because he was considered a naturally gifted MMA competitor.

Anybody that wins the BJJ world championship after only training for 3 years deserves that name. (and I am not a Penn fan)

Did you even attempt to search anything?

Got his blackbelt in like 2 or 3yrs
First non Brazilian to win gold in the black belt division

I think it's a little bit misleading, the whole "earned his bb in 3 years" thing. His brother was training before that, and BJ would roll with him all the time. Maybe he first paid dojo fees formally and got a blackbelt 3 years after, which is still damn impressive, but its not like he was a total noob when he first stepped on the mats from what I understand.

I would like facts.

Post videos if you can

Thanks

That's the phenomenal thing about it, right there.

Here's the story of BJ Penn's first BJJ class...

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/daily/traditional-martial-arts-training/brazilian-jiu-jitsu/b-j-penn%E2%80%99s-first-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-lesson/

"I told the Penns that while I only knew a little Brazilian jiu-jitsu, I had been a martial artist and teacher for most of my adult life. First, I would teach them what I knew, and then we would work on mastering the techniques. Because I could tap them out with ease, they thought I was really good, but I remember telling them, “Wait until you roll with some blue belts. They’re like gods!”

After a few workouts, B.J.’s friends started showing up to train. Once, B.J.’s older brother Jay Dee came by, and I couldn’t tap him out. Despite his ever-present smile, he was one strong guy. One of B.J.’s friends, Cabbage, started training with us and eventually became a professional fighter. Cabbage was a nice kid who had really long hair, a big belly, and sweated twice as much as most people. When you rolled with Cabbage, you were going to get wet."

Also I think this flexibility helped the legend grow
3453957160_92fb42858f_o.gif

Cleverly dismissing what he did, you should be a lawyer.

he's called the prodigy because it sounded cool when they made up the nickname.

Cause it sounded way better than BJ "That Beastly, Rich Hawaiian Kid" Penn

Back