Why is Benson Henderson hated for being what Jon Jones claimed to be?

KR811**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why do the same people who hate Jon Jones for being cocky and "unchristian" also hate Benson Henderson for not having a personality (humble) and being preachy (claiming to love god and shit).

Do MMA fans switch religious ideology on a whim?

Both are uncharismatic which is the reason for a lot of hate. True, Bendo has less unpleasant personality but Jones is a more exciting fighter. Though I think Bendo is hated less than Jones.

Both are uncharismatic which is the reason for a lot of hate. True, Bendo has less unpleasant personality but Jones is a more exciting fighter. Though I think Bendo is hated less than Jones.

So charisma excuses hypocrisy?

What are you even talkin about. How do you know that same people that hate jones hate Benson. Thread is whack.

i hadnt been paying attention to MMA culture for a while, didnt realiz bendo was hated

for me bendo seems genuine, jones always seemed fake

Well Benson's religious proclamations are bound to be polarizing since religion itself is one of the two most polarizing topics, along with politics, that there is to discuss. No matter how much of a rep Benson has for being modest, approachable, compassionate and down to earth in real life, those who have personal grudges and issues over religion are gonna see him as a hyper arrogant douche bag for taking even half a minute to thank the Lord and say "Can I get an Amen?". And so this spills over into other aspects of him that cause hate too.

For example all those fights he allegedly won because the other guy got screwed and therefore don't count as real wins. Benson's biggest haters think his record should be changed to 16-9 as of right now. I think that fans' personal dislike for his religious demeanor also blind them tot he fact that in some of fights his opponents were at fault as well for not being able to sway the judges in a truly convincing manner.

As likable as Josh Thomson as become, to me at least, he has shown that in particularly close fights he does not have the fight Iq needed to push the decision towards him. We also saw that in his following fight with Bobby Green and in his third loss to Gil Melendez. Whereas Benson clearly does. But resentful fans placed 100 % of the blame on Benson for that. And Edgar, I feel in both fights had gotten complacent with the idea of cruising to UD victories and blatantly violating one of modern MMA's commandments: to paraphrase Dana, "Thou shalt not leave it in the hands of the judges". Which we saw in the first fight - and again, the idea that the first fight was some sort of actual robbery is insane to me. Yes, I do think you can make a case Frankie won the first fight but if we are listing what could be called the worst UFC robberies that first fight would not even be in the top 40. That was not a fight Frankie won decisively at all. Perhaps the second fight was, but even then, a lot of that was Frankie paying the price for leaving it in the hands of the judges.

What are you even talkin about. How do you know that same people that hate jones hate Benson. Thread is whack.

It is probably not the exact same subset but given the sheer size of the MMA fanbase that bitches and moans at every turn about both of these fighters, it's hardly out of the blue to suggest there is significant overlap.

i hadnt been paying attention to MMA culture for a while, didnt realiz bendo was hated

for me bendo seems genuine, jones always seemed fake

People are uncomfortable with the Jeebus love

Why do the same people who hate Jon Jones for being cocky and "unchristian" also hate Benson Henderson for not having a personality (humble) and being preachy (claiming to love god and shit).

Do MMA fans switch religious ideology on a whim?

Because he's uncharismatic and arrogant.

I don't care for either, but dislike Jones a little bit. Not for religious deference.

Believing in myths are the one of the few things they have in common. Their personal choice to proclaim it or carry that flag.

It excuses his hypocrisy to nostalgic boxing fans today. In the 60s and 70s? Not really.

Maybe not in the 60s, but in the 70s he already picked up a lot of fans. He still had a lot of haters, but also a lot of fans.

It is probably not the exact same subset but given the sheer size of the MMA fanbase that bitches and moans at every turn about both of these fighters, it's hardly out of the blue to suggest there is significant overlap.

I disagree and sherdog doesnt make up the majority of the fanbase. Also, people dont hate on him for being a christian. The common criticism i heard with Bendo was good dude, boring fighter. Tryin to make it like hes on the jon jones level of hate is just dishonest.

Maybe not in the 60s, but in the 70s he already picked up a lot of fans. He still had a lot of haters, but also a lot of fans.

True, but isn't that not terribly different from where Jones and Benson are now? I mean, they both do have a fan base, as inconceivable as that may seem to some of us.

Haters gonna hate.

99% of the people who hate on fighters online would act like a little girl if they saw them in person; asking for pictures, autographs, smiling, and giving them compliments.

Haters gonna hate.

99% of the people who hate on fighters online would act like a little girl if they saw them in person; asking for pictures, autographs, smiling, and giving them compliments.

Indeed. MMA haters are gonna hate, hate, hate these guys for whatever reason is most convenient and in the end of the day its just us fight nerds wasting our time. Coz Benson, Jones and the rest are gonna just shake it off, they'll shake it off.

Back