Why Hasn't Romero's A Level Wrestling Translated Into MMA?

Better question. Why wouldn’t GSP defend his MW belt against Romero?

GSP wouldn't defend his MW belt against Romero, because GSP - like the vast majority of us - know the outcome of that fight.

The threat of his nasty wrestling is enough to open up his striking game...

And i think he just likes to hit people.

I imagine now he's in his 40s his joints probably aren't doing that great for grappling after 30+ years of training.

It happens to a lot of guys as they got older, Rampage had pretty much abandoned his wrestling by the time he got to UFC because his knees were giving him issues, same with Hendo his whole body moved real stiff.

Romero is all about velocity, I cannot imagine he would invest the time necessary to get anywhere the same level of skills once on the ground. There cannot be many other fighters with his level of takedowns and such a low percent of being able to actually keep someone down. Seems like anytime his opponent shrimps or granby rolls then they are automatically let up

Freestyle Wrestling (International/Olympics) = Explosive take downs and throws, very little ground time

Folk Style Wrestling (USA only) = Some take downs and throws, tons of ground time

Romero is a born and raised Free Style wrestler, and is explosive by nature. He could take down anyone to ever compete in the UFC, but it wouldn't really help him in an MMA match since he was never a "blanket" kind of wrestler like most Folk Style (USA) wrestlers are.

Romero could, and IMO should, use his elite TDs more, but he'll never be a dominant top game kind of guy.

It's not who he is, and his wrestling isn't geared towards it.

After gassing out against 1 leg Rob at romero vs rob 1, he stopped using it totally for the better.

I think romero and gsp show that there is a difference between wrestling and mma wrestling. It is not the same.

Probably to satisfy the Just Bleed GOD...?

Seriously, he fell in love with his power, but it most likely has to do with his energy expenditure, especially since he is 40+.
It's a lot less costly to just wait for an opportunity and explode than to spamm takedowns and then use tons of energy controlling people ( who are usually considerably bigger framewise ) on the ground...

I think having that base to fall back upon and which his opponents know about enhances his striking already a lot, so even if he rarely uses lots of wrestling, it still helps him out a lot, so he feels like that's enough i guess and i mean: it's not like he performed bad with his heavy-handed style so far.

It's nothing but an insecure super macho thing.
Agreed. All this talk about stamina and holding people down... Doesn't make sense to me. Wrestling is something he's done his whole life. Yes he's over 40 but his body is conditioned to do it. I can't accept the idea that it's suddenly waaaah too taxing for him to even sneak in one take down per fight. And the holding people down thing... Don't buy it either. He held Weidman down and machida down pretty easily. Also I'm no expert but different styles have different weaknesses. Greco-roman guys focus on upper body and not the legs. But still those same guys have good double and single legs like chael. The point I'm making is holding people down should be easier to learn than striking.
It's an ego thing definitely. And I don't like it because it feels like he's holding back, like how Aldo won't throw leg kicks. If a fighter can't use their tools because of "old age" and stuff, it means they're not fighting at their best. Better off retiring if that's the case.

We mostly know Romero as an explosive fighter with crazy power. So It's easy to forget that's he's a silver medalist in the olympics

I find it bit surprising that he rarely utilizes his wrestling in fights and mainly just uses it as a plan C when everything else fails.

You'd expect his wrestling game to be a huge threat considering he made a career out of it, yet he hasn't hasn't had that much success using it.

Maybe he discovered he was just gifted at knocking out opponents... Or maybe his wrestling didn't transition that well into MMA
What are y'all thoughts?
Wrestling uses a lot of energy. The few times he has he was gassed afterwards. Probably better to pick your power shots.

It's kind of crazy when you think about someone like GSP who started with a karate backround, no wrestling credentials whatsoever but turned out to be one of the greatest MMA wrestlers of all time.

And you got an olympian, career wrestler who barely uses wrestling at all. And hasn't really looked that impressive using it.
His cardio isnt good enough

Fact: Romero’s wrestling never was A level!!
He was always an amateur. If it was A level he would wrestle professionally.

it has, he just doesn't have the gastank to keep a wrestling heavy gameplan.

we've seen that when he actually wants to use it he ragdolls dudes.

I think he used his wrestling extremely well what are you watching?

He went on like a 12 fight win streak against elite competition.. if he needs a takedown he gets it. He wouldn't be getting another title shot if he didnt have a fan friendly style like he does. Shit he would probably have been washed out a long time ago if he didnt develop his striking like he did.

I’d assume it’s because it’s too physically draining and he has too many other weapons.

Why go Job Fitch when you can highlight reel fools and be a fan favorite? His wrestling enables him to fight however he wants to and dictate where he wants it to go. Just because he doesn’t wall and stall or lay and pray doesn’t mean it doesn’t benefit him.

He also seems to have trouble keeping guys down which probably factors into it. If he had great tip control, I’m sure he’d work his GNP more but he doesn’t so he fights how he does instead.
Great TIP control?? I'm beginning to think of something else

It's the style of wrestling he competed (freestyle wrestling) in emphasized strength and explosive power as oppose to outright controlling your opponent like in Folk style Wrestling.

Here's a video of Romero doing freestyle wrestling. Nothing but explosions

Here's a video of folk style wrestlers always vying for control

That highlight makes me think just how easy it would be for Romero to backdoor about any sherdogger he met in a dark alley, in literal second. No homo.

Ok, a little homo - not that there's anything wrong with that

Back